• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chiming in with another FD/EMS HMMWV

Sparkyz911

We acquired this through our local federal surplus a couple years back. This vehicle was my initial reason for joining up on SS. Since our department relies on donations we have to fix/maintain a lot of gear ourselves. SS has been a big help for us to get and keep this up and able to respond to calls.

During the warmer months we use this primarily as a mutual aid rig for brush fires (setup as a Type 7 per US Forest Service) AND it even has a surplus brush skid unit meant for HMMWV's! It's also used to tow our many surplus gennys (a 3 phase mounted in a very old M105, 7k mounted in an old M100 and 2 NF2Ds) for scene lighting and support after severe weather. In the winter it has the full "high rise" soft cover on it and we use it during snow emergencies to transport people. Just roll up the cab's rear wall (soft) and crank the heat, it'll chase you out.

Video during the final stages of upfitting: https://youtu.be/myfYW4hcWgc
HMMWV.JPG

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice rig! SS is the perfect place to get detailed info and advice for fixes and upgrades. I bought my M-1078 through a PD in TN. I feel like the best units go through those programs.

Sparkyz911

They usually do. When these became available to us in 2015 from federal surplus we had the pick of the litter for sure. All it needed to get running was a pair of batteries and a part for the generator. Was parked outside in 15 degrees and started right up after adding those 2 things.

Since owning it the entire top has had all the zippers re-sewn, the headlights and some of the running lights to LED, and some GI style stencil lettering with our dept. letters and unit number done up (I'll get pics next time I'm there). Last time out it blew the (used) generator and ruined the (used) batteries. We've since gotten the genny fixed and are working on new batts. Likely going with some Optimas or semi tractor batts instead of the HMMWV batteries. Cheaper and they have a warranty.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tow our many surplus gennys (... 7k mounted in an old M100 and 2 NF2Ds)
I'd be interested in a picture of the M100, especially if it's a flatbed variant.

Otherwise, very glad you guys got a solid truck. I'm curious if you have an extra heater as mine in WI were not that great, and I almost froze my ass off running a load of M2s halfway across the state.

Sparkyz911

So I finally found time between getting my new-to-me M35A2 :mrgreen:, working 12hr shifts, and other crap to get some more pics of the HMMWV stencils and some other stuff we have. The small trailer says made in '65 but the rest of the data plate is unreadable. the trailer with the blue genny is an M101.

20170220_163444.jpg20170220_165900.jpg20170220_170304.jpg20170220_170355.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks