• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chinook rescue

Fleetmaster

This photo was taken by a soldier in Afghanistan of a helo rescue mission. The pilot is a PA Guard guy who flies EMS choppers in civilian life. Now how many people on the planet you reckon could set the ass end of a chopper down on the roof top of a shack on a steep mountain cliff and hold it there while soldiers load wounded men in the rear??? If this does not impress you ... nothing ever will. Gives me the chills and a serious case of the vertigo ... I can't even imagine having the nerve ... much less the talent and ability ... God Bless these military!!!!!

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's multiple photos just like that from the Pakistan earthquake relief. There was no where to set a helo down, so we would just get a wheel or two down and offload. :shock:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep, this is called 'tailgating' . If you look back through pictures of Vietnam. You will see a picture of almost the exact same thing happening on a mountaintop firebase.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty dag-gone impressive! That man (and his crew) deserve a pay raise, or a case of something, (to drink)!!

Awesome!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I dunno, I think this looks like a model. The people don't look right and there is too much stuff on the ground that should have been blown away.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Digital (photography) does that. Just something about it.

I'm guessing that whatever could have been blown away, was.

:grd: [thumbzup]

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
chinook rescue

I found a photo of a tailgate op in Vietnam but it is not the one I was really looking for. There is actually one that is very very similar to what this photo from Afganistan shows but haven't found it on the web yet. Anyway here is one from years go.

PS: Not taking a thing away from the pilot in afganistan. He definate has balls!

Attachments

gunner01

RE: chinook rescue

considering the proximity of the trees to the left and down the props would be cutting the trees down the length of those props are greater than the distance to trees it is digital photography as for tailgating it is/was a common practice but on ly for special ops. I also agree with the lack of prop wash no leaves or trees are bent or rattleing and there appears to be items that would blow away or into the rotors. I think it is a fake.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I still find the CH-47 one of the most impressive helicopters I've ever seen. Just big, dang birds. Whoop-whoop-whoop!! Love 'em!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

They are quite the ride. I know the feeling of being underneath one waiting to pick up a sling load is quite unnerving. It really helps to know Jesus when one of them is two feet over your head and you are trying to hook the anti-static clip to the helo and hook the sling in the next few seconds. They really look cool at night in night vision since the rotors produce a large amount of static that shows up like ball field lights in a PVS 14. We owe a lot of credit to the chopper pilots they are protecting our ground troops and speeding casualties to the hosptials.

I think the most impressive helo flying I have seen though is when a Canadian Coast Guard chopper came in to pick up one of our sailors who had an appendix rupture. We were in 25 foot seas in a 180 foot Coast Guard bouy tender and the pilot came in and flew it like he was doing the tango with our boat. Once in sync they lowered the Stokes litter and we loaded the sailor and up he went and they they parted company and headed for Halifax

Cdub

" Tailgating ".........Wow......There's even a name for it.....HOLY COW........!!!

gota be one of my most fav pic ever

C'dub

emr

They were prisoners, and have U seen when they dunk it in the water with the back door UNDER water and the seals, i guess, come racing in, they are not photoshoped, and the trees u see are no way able to tell were they are in proportion to the helo by that photo, they do that alot I have heard, and when they are in a flying convoy with apaches and black hawks they have to call the chinooks every now and again and say slow down we can't keep up, It is said they pull away on purpose just to show off, they are the fastest helo also...the ultimate way to bring ones deuce to a show would be under one of those since they can lift a deuce with ease under sling , have seen a few photots of that...I have heard many storys from my buddy going on his 3rd tour in afganistan and a few from my buddys going back to iraq soon, one was they hitched a ride in one and the oil lines were leaking and they said , uh , u know these are leaking, The crew guy just said, its only a problem when they stop, thats my kind a guys!!...Randy

ida34

RE: Flying wrecker

When we would sling load our howitzers we would have to do a hook at the front and the rear. The guy at the rear has to stand on the baseplate and stretch to get the thing hooked in. The guy in the front had to sit on his back about two feet under the helicopter. Any higher and the guy in back could not get hooked. This was back when a static probe man had to discharge with static with two stakes connected by commo wire. One stake was in the ground while the other was mounted on the end of some camo support poles. Later we started testing the "q-tips". The were basically a five foot long huge rope loop that was connected in the middle to make two eyes. Then we did not have to worry about he static unless we accidentally touched the helicopter. The "q-tips also put the howitzer about 5 feet further below the helicopter. We used a special travel lock that had the tube closer to horizontal but without the "q-tips" the muzzle would only ride a few feet below the cockpit of the helo. When the ride got rocky sometimes the muzzle would tap the underside of the cockpit. The pilot would usually cut sling load immediately. At least a couple of times we had to recover a wrecked howitzer from the field at Fort Campbell. During Desert Shield we had one of the "q-tips" catch in the front hook when the indicator said the load was cut loose. The pilot took off with only the front hook connected. He had thought it was all clear. He dragged the howitzer about 200 feet before it finally worked loose. They took spare parts off a howitzer at Fort Sill and Fed Exed the parts over to fix our howitzer. At the time we were the only Air Assault 155 howitzer battery in the theater and they wanted us operational for the Storm.

alphadeltaromeo

Re: RE: chinook rescue

gunner01 said:
considering the proximity of the trees to the left and down the props would be cutting the trees down the length of those props are greater than the distance to trees it is digital photography as for tailgating it is/was a common practice but on ly for special ops. I also agree with the lack of prop wash no leaves or trees are bent or rattleing and there appears to be items that would blow away or into the rotors. I think it is a fake.
gunner, the reason you don't see the trees moving is cuz it's a still image :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks