Civil Defense Vehicles and Items

Another Ahab

Y

"""""The main players were the United States and the Soviet Union because these two countries developed enough nuclear weapons to wipe out the planet numerous times over. There were other nuclear-armed nations, but the US and USSR were the big dogs on the radioactive porch."""""
Great posts, plowboy, thanks a million!

You use the past tense ("were"), but you know, don't bet on that altogether.

I wish it were otherwise and I mean don't lose sleep over this or anything, but....

Can you say, "Boom"?!

M37keppy

9B9C44AC-D994-42DC-8CA2-475F2F87214A.jpg
Draged another M211 home for parts and noticed this sticker under the tailgate right side. Thought it fit with this thread. There’s also a rebuild tag on the dash that says rebuilt buy Japan Ordinance Command. So it’s probably got some stories to tell.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dome inspections

View attachment 768432
Draged another M211 home for parts and noticed this sticker under the tailgate right side. Thought it fit with this thread. There’s also a rebuild tag on the dash that says rebuilt buy Japan Ordinance Command. So it’s probably got some stories to tell.
I'm sorry I missed this. That photo alone is worthy of a museum display. The Early Deuce was designated for Civil Defence Defense across the continent. Discovering as much as I could about the use of the Deuce is the reason I got hooked up with this crazy museum group.

Can you post a link to a thread on this unit, post more pictures, let me drive it? Thanks for sharing part of a real important story about the Early Deuce.

The lights are on but nobody is home at the dome!

ndome.jpg

We will be on this date!

TOURS AT THE CFS ALSASK DOME!!!
August 4 from 1000hrs - 1800hrs. Each tour will start on the hour. Admission fees will be a donation of your choice.
https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCivilDefenceMuseumAndArchives/

Thanks to Chris and Connie we're getting night shots.

Besides the support from a security company, the community has chipped in with farmers, truckers, delivery folks, the mail man, transport companies, off-duty military, the police and other locals with constant eyes on the dome. Apparently, you can see it for 30 miles. So much for being discreet. A huge Thank You to the local support we get.

For those able to make it up north, no charge. Bringing a few million dollars for a donation is always appreciated. Continental protection is an under celebrated event and it's due time we celebrate those folks that worked so we could be here today, celebrating. Dance and celebrate!

We're not done yet, this is not a grand opening, it's barely even an opening but we can open the doors and safely allow 'able bodied persons' into the dome.

That last part gets to me so we're prioritizing a wheel chair lift, elevator, crane lift, something to make access easy for everyone in the future.

There's still a ton of cleaning to do and sanitizing areas where folks might fall and rub their tongue on a wall or beam where a pigeon pooped is almost done.

fredome.jpg

We'll finally get a chance to pop open this sealed crate at the end of the day on August 4th so stay tuned for an update.

domecratel.jpg

Many of the items we've discovered will be on display. The collection covers everything from the smallest badges to our bus and everything in between.

Do you know someone that worked in the service during the cold war? Thank them, then send them to us so we can pry their story out of them and tell it tomorrow!

CDmicrodupli.jpgradiacmeterim5015.jpgKIMG1263.jpgsiren18.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Visit the Dome day,

First off, we're humbled and grateful. The Executive Director of our CCDMA museum put an invite on faceoff and the crowds showed up. Tours of the existing pigeon fertilized, radar dome, started at the top of every hour with groups of 10 and more. I'm still waiting for the Ebert review but I think our CCDMA Tour Guide, founder and Justin Case Fred knocked it out of the park.

The donation box overfilled. For this, we are relieved and grateful. Always hoping but never knowing if an interest to travel to a museum still exists today, we were rewarded for hard work.

freday194.jpg19domedayaug.jpg19domeaug.jpg

We see a growing interest and Terry Collins laid down a perfect rendition of past and future stories from the Dome. Testing the radar began in the 60's with high speed, low-level passes from many different types of aircraft. The photos, some 50 years past, are starting to emerge. Re-creating some of these photos with historical military aircraft with a few 16's, 18's, 22's and 35's thrown in must happen.

terry collins alsaask.png

This is my third visit with the first two completely dedicated to cleaning the place up. I'm not finished. However, this time, I found time to enjoy the place......and open the crate.
Take a look as we climb stairs to the 30 foot level and see Jimmy Hoffa sitting behind the rail.

P8040376.jpg

I'm not sure what Jimmy would look like right now so this could be him. Can you imagine the surprise when we saw clean paint on the mount inside, fresh packaging, covered plugs, hoisting cables strapped inside and it wasn't a Cummins.

P8040378.jpg P8040351.jpg

No sir, I think this is a little more important than a Cummins. It's the outdated and happily discarded Jimmy Hoffa thing that sits underneath a main radar unit that might seek friend or foe. Here's the bottom view.

P8040368.jpg

.....and on the top sits this beast.

P8040373.jpgP8040371.jpgP8040374.jpgP8040362.jpgP8040354.jpg

Ironically, we intend to set up a second dome that is wheelchair friendly and now have most of the components to set up another complete radar. We might be the only ones to have an E7803788G1 currently and will be making some jag calls next week.

We're a long way from seeing where this is all going but for now, things are looking up.

P8040338.jpg

When you come visit, don't bring a tent. The wind seems to blow hard up on the hill.

P8040335.jpg

The first items of thousands still buried in......well it's just buried somewhere and we're going to dig it up and share it.

P8040337.jpgP8040341.jpgP8040343.jpg

Found another box I hadn't looked in yet. What could be inside?

P8040379.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Visitors to the Dome

One of these days I need to make a trip up there and see that!
Give us another year of shoveling fertilizer and washing walls and it'll be presentable to the ladies too. We'd love to see everyone up here. You can see us for miles and kilometers at the same time.

P8030290.jpgP8030324.jpg

I like the idea of MV's visiting the dome and getting pictures so until that happens, we'll post old photos.

Thanks to PS from JG for this one. RCAF Station Mont Apica 1962

psf5dome.jpg

Another Ahab

Hey, Mr. plowboy my apologies for not really paying attention as I should have, but:

- Where exactly is the site, on a map, and

- Any hotel/ motels at all in the area?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MV photos

Hey, Mr. plowboy my apologies for not really paying attention as I should have, but:

- Where exactly is the site, on a map, and

- Any hotel/ motels at all in the area?
Who's not paying attention now? Moi!

Sorry AA, the dome is in Alsask Saskatchewan. Two hours East of Drumheller and the Dinosaur Museum. Oyen, the nearest town to Alsask about 15 minutes away, is the luxury place to stay. https://canaltahotels.com/explore-hotels/oyen-canalta
The board intends to be at the dome long weekends next year for tours. I'll get the dates up as soon as we come up with an online booking format we can use.
We're working on alternative ideas for lodging including a night in the dome so stay tuned.
We're drafting a bunch of other projects as well and I could certainly use some input from our American schemers and MV owners.
We'd like to save a visual story of the infrastructure built on the continent after August 29, 1949 and how it looks today. Many of the purpose built facilities that would protect humans, food, water, even books in the event of a nuclear war are being demolished.
One project would involve an MV, a camera and a special map. The maps would be similar to this one, from Detroit. Part of the family tree is rooted here so it's a special place to us. Click on an Icon and a little more information pops up on the left side of the page.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=42.40159190441069,-83.08170629175629&z=12

If you're in the Detroit area, you'd pick a quiet day of the week, pick a location from the map and snap a picture of your MV in front of your chosen building. Photos would be submitted to the CCDMA and placed on a virtual online map where one can see the building or area the building once stood and a cool looking MV.

This project has several objectives.

1) Photo-document old Fall out posts
2) Photo-document cool old MV's
3) Create a continental wide project to recognize 75 years of continental defence by August 29, 2024.
4) Save in photographs to perpetuity, the current status of tens of thousands of defensive buildings
5) Save in photographs/ documents to perpetuity, cool old MV's, and their owner's stories.
6) Open an opportunity to engage the public and gain public support for MV enthusiasts
7) Create both a virtual online display and physical display of MV photographs
8) Recognize the planners, architects, engineers and contractors that built the continent in silence.

Who's in?

Another Ahab

We'd like to save a visual story of the infrastructure built on the continent after August 29, 1949 and how it looks today. Many of the purpose built facilities that would protect humans, food, water, even books in the event of a nuclear war are being demolished.
Who's in?
Hard to admit. Not so totally sure that the fat lady really HAS finished all her singing, but for the sake of us all everywhere, let us hope so.

And your plan here is absolute genius. Excellent!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Embrace the Fat Lady to keep her from singing

Thanks AA, I believe your area is partly covered in this next link and the historical work already done on American Civil Defense history is remarkable. Surviving all the way to 2019 with the arsenal even back in the fifties is a real good reason to celebrate today. There's a lot that went on prior to 1968 that we can openly discuss while we're still discovering it. Recognizing the people behind the continental defence story just seems like the right thing to do. An incredible number of events needed to go right for the continent to make it past those days and we're here, typing about it. They must have done something right, so far.

To those who serve, Thank You.

I think there are over 700 different buildings on this page. This started in the U.S. as a hunt for Fall Out Shelter signs. If we can tie MV's or other historical vehicles in with these building pictures, it give collectors a public presence and an opportunity to educate.
http://www.waymarking.com/cat/detai...&sg=fe0db19f-f450-44de-a71b-3d8d3c4d1a79&st=2

One example of a submission could be a picture while on parade route passing a Cold War feature. In this case it would be the LSVW or M1010 passing the old air raid siren located on top of the firehall in Onoway. The photo ties the MV's with a location and in this case it also ties them in with an old Fall out Reporting Post, FRP, as indicated in a special map we'd provide.

LSVW onoway FRP.jpg19onowayM1010.jpg

We're thinking of ways to keep things simple for the sender while keeping it simple for us and setting goals that can be achieved. If we receive a picture with a little information about a location, that would be a start. If the sender can send more, like a description of the vehicle, it's history, any additional fun info then the story widens.

Civil Defence Vehicles in front of Civil Defence FRP's would be something to see but who's got fire-trucks or CCKW's laying around? CCDMA credit for the red photo.

truck building.jpg CCKW Onoway.jpg

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cold War soldiers

Fresh off the press, a first of many releases on Civil Defence and the Cold War from a Canadian perspective. The title and work is by others but the dome and our Executive Director is featured.

Check out that mowing pattern on the dome flyby at 32:40. That's plowboys mowing pattern!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw4...WUqoGdyQezQof1mdZqikm2FvXZbgOl5tbT-uj6Ft2IUyc

That G749 series keeps showing up in our Cold War preparations and this one with the white rings is hard to miss.

PB190635.jpg

rustystud

Fresh off the press, a first of many releases on Civil Defence and the Cold War from a Canadian perspective. The title and work is by others but the dome and our Executive Director is featured.

Check out that mowing pattern on the dome flyby at 32:40. That's plowboys mowing pattern!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw4...WUqoGdyQezQof1mdZqikm2FvXZbgOl5tbT-uj6Ft2IUyc

That G749 series keeps showing up in our Cold War preparations and this one with the white rings is hard to miss.

View attachment 783297
That is an awesome video ! Thanks for sharing this with us "M1010PlowBoy" !!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We've lived through about eighty years of nuclear weapon development when we consider the America, British, Canada, ABC alliance in Project Tube Alloys.

"""""""The first official contact between American and British nuclear research following the outbreak of the war in Europe took place in the Fall of 1940 when Sir Henry Tizard, accompanied by Professor J. D. Cockcroft, led a mission to Washington. The MAUD Committee programme was described and was found to parallel the United States programme, although the latter was being conducted with somewhat less urgency. It was agreed that cooperation between the two countries would be mutually advantageous, and the necessary machinery was established. Even at this early stage the British increasingly recognised that, with their limited resources, they would have to look to the immense production capacity of America for the expensive development work; before long the MAUD Committee was discussing the possibility of shifting the main development work to America. """""""""

On August 29th, 1949 the Soviet Union Union got serious about nuclear weapon development. Seventy years has passed and that's another reason to celebrate.

Just today, our good friend Mattech sent a picture of a device created as a result of Cold War preparations and nuclear weapon development.
If you have one like it, go grab it, fill it and sit down.

alsask mug.jpeg

Let's have a toast at the end of 2019 and recognize those who have worked for so long to keep nuclear war out the picture.

From the Junior ranks to the Senior ranks, from our scientists to our janitors, Thank You and Happy New Year....we made it.

Cheers,

The 50's delivered the atomic age and we're just beginning to uncover the fleets of vehicles that North America used during that time.

Here's a Steel Soldier that would be sweet for camping at the rallies. Check out that Civil Defence wagon!

cdtranspo.jpg

Happy New Year

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't ya love it when a plan comes together!

Ladies and Gentlemen, the brochures and pamphlets are being created, the maps finalized and invites are being written.

We are opening up a Canadian story that will create a destination opportunity North of the border, from coast to coast.

Our objective: Preserving the story of Canada's abandoned and once secret nuclear preparedness programs.

From coast to coast, immediately north of the Canada / United States border, to our furthest northern base, we built bunkers.

Our Intent:

1) Photo-document thousands of sites and preserve, in photographs, how they appear today.

2 Provide destination opportunities for Historical Vehicle Collectors and the general public to visit and document. Create opportunities of education with respect to HMV ownership.

3) Provide a web based database where individuals can submit their pictures and stories.

The last item is the most time consuming to complete but the proposals were accepted and the concept approved so it's a go. Our mission is to create a website where Cold War survivors and their kin can submit stories, photographs or video to be held to perpetuity.

Anticipated Results:

1) Capture as much Canadian history in photographs/ text as possible.
2) Saturate the general public with positive experiences in relation to Historical Military Vehicle (HMV's) ownership and gain public support.
3) Provide multiple Media Relation opportunities across Canada to...... a) gain support for HMV ownership. ....b) create awareness about the CCDMA

We have thousands of sites to photograph all across the continent and we'll never do it alone. We are initially looking for 2020 photographs of these locations but if we can get an MV in the picture, regardless of the country of ownership, it just adds to the story.

If you're making Canada a destination over the next four years, we can provide a photo opportunity and destination map that covers a 45x15 mile grid across the entire continent.
Quebec and Ontario have the largest population exposure so if you're on the 'right' side of the map, I can show you where we kept your nuclear missiles.

To get the conversation started, here's a little article about one aspect of bunker construction.

'''''''''A network of 2,000 small Fallout Reporting Posts, 200 of them distributed throughout Manitoba, would be constructed to take local fallout measurements. In Manitoba, results from each Fallout Reporting Post would be transmitted to Filter Centres located at the Pine Falls Armoury and Brandon Armoury where teams of women in the Canadian Women’s Army Corps would summarize and pass on the data to one of three Nuclear Detonation Reporting Posts (NUDET), located at RCAF Portage la Prairie and RCAF Gimli, and in the Great Falls Generating System.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the video's 1010, they are informative and educational. I am glad that your country is Allied with ours when it comes to Civil and Military Defense issues.

Also I will add that restoring the Radar site for a teaching tool and a Museum will have a lasting Legacy for generations to come.

I also would like to find the dome on the sat view if possible. I looked around Onoway to no luck.

rustystud

That's great news "plowboy" ! I would love to be able to come and visit your radar dome sometime. This part of Canadian history is also part of ours here in the States. Remember they where working hand in hand. Of course Canada would have taken the brunt of a Soviet attack ! To bad no one here wants to protect a missile silo or something along those lines. If they have I haven't heard of it.
I really liked that bunker under the school ! To bad it was destroyed. So much history destroyed.
I'm very happy you where able to save this one though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks