Civil Defense Vehicles and Items

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the video's 1010, they are informative and educational. I am glad that your country is Allied with ours when it comes to Civil and Military Defense issues.

Also I will add that restoring the Radar site for a teaching tool and a Museum will have a lasting Legacy for generations to come.

I also would like to find the dome on the sat view if possible. I looked around Onoway to no luck.
My pleasure getting some of the info locked down here. It's surprising just how deep and how far back the cross-border agreements go. We have a pile of documentation to share about the history of the agreements. That link is under construction but the Emergency Measures Organization EMO file will be released very soon.

You can actually help me out and check how the links work in this sassy historic recognition website. Yes Sir we have Historical Recognition already.
The typical search terms can't be said three times fast but you can also find us in "Alsask Saskatchewan".

There's a map link on the right side of this page that should work. Let me know.

Another Ahab

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together!

Ladies and Gentlemen, the brochures and pamphlets are being created, the maps finalized and invites are being written.

We are opening up a Canadian story that will create a destination opportunity North of the border, from coast to coast.

Our objective: Preserving the story of Canada's abandoned and once secret nuclear preparedness programs.

Quebec and Ontario have the largest population exposure so if you're on the 'right' side of the map, I can show you where we kept your nuclear missiles.
This is an EXCELLENT project, plowboy. You GO!!

Of course, the nuclear missles never went away, quite a few of them out there right now (live):

- The touch of a button, and likely ALL of us are Toast.

Aww, nuts.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's MAD for ya! Mutual Assured Destruction got us this far, something's working. Diefenbaker's "new think" and Ike's muscle on a rowboat makes them look like the dynamic duo.

"""""""""John Diefenbaker became prime minister in June 1957, and he and Ike shared a western farm background and had a passion for fishing. In July 1958, Diefenbaker and Eisenhower went fishing together at Harrington Lake, which a year later would become the PM’s official summer residence in a sense, Canada’s Camp David. Most significantly, Diefenbaker pushed through Canada’s participation in the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD). This integrated command helped defend North America during the Cold War, weaving the two neighbours together in a web of overlapping ties, structures, ideas and agendas. """""""""

Speaking of toast.........grab some bread, pop it in the toaster, fire it, toast it, jam it and enjoy the largest collection of technical data ever shoved down a populations throat.......ha ha or a Steel Soldier's throat.

Starting in 1961 and delivered to households across Canada every two months, we were informing the public. From nuclear test results to bunker design, Privy Council notes, debates and insults tossed around in the House of Commons.

There is this gradient of urgency that ebbs and flows through the years as events and political posturing occur. The articles are very detailed and there are some pretty cool equipment pictures included as well.

We have a lot of it catalogued for easy reference so if you're researching a topic, we may have some leads and can shorten your dig time.

Enjoy the reading folks!

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's very little that speaks of the love and openness of Valentines Day like a new gate!

Happy Valentines folks. Once again, the young guns in the museum group set a project goal and got it done.

Alsask Gate beefer.jpeg dome efter.jpg

The team is beginning to set up fundraiser projects to allow the public some control and direction on marketing plans but the gates couldn't wait.

I'm just beginning the transition from Civil Defence research into Radar Base Life for the boys and girls that spent time here.

After 1961, we know of the stockpiles of rescue equipment staged in preparation around 16 target Cities in Canada.
The many roles of the M135 included its use as a Casualty Recover Unit.

wetas cd old m135 124.jpg

We're learning a lot more about the M207/ M220 Shop Van. Apparently, most guys called these an M220 even though it was on the M207 platform. The documents I've seen with the various equipment in the back were all labelled, M220 shop van. Interesting!

m207frm.jpg

We looked at justifying a fund raiser for the M207/M220 shop van to be part of the dome. Its use around radar domes and her role in communications made it very clear that this Quebec built M220 needs to yell its story! There was something different about this particular unit that we finally identified as a "Black out Kit". The 'shop van' played many special roles and we want to document all of them.

m207smigls.jpg

The personal stories are the best and this G749 series of deuce covers the planet. If you have any stories that tie the M220 to dome life or any "on base'' experience with these trucks, we want to hear them. Tell us a Steel Soldier story! You can always send info to us info@civildefencemuseum.ca

G749 farm 207 135.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is going to be huge so grab a coffee.

Tasked with creating a National Survival Program and a full understanding that Canada would be a playing field between two nuclear superpowers, we used the G749 to its full potential.

The M207 platform using the M220 shopvan had a lot of uses. I can't give all these folks credit individually but I gotta say the boys over on a Canadian site gave us everything.

Here's a little Canadian History. Thanks fellas!.........................................

In 23 Service Battalion our "maintenance van" as we know it was converted to a Logistics Operations Command Post (Log Ops) with the addition of two C42 radio sets and a "chore horse" generator mounted in the center of the front bumper top plate. The radios were later swapped out for 46 sets. Some versions (C/S 1, S&T Coy CP in 4 Svc Bn) radio had a battery bank under the passenger seat for the radio sets.

post this question on the s&t coy 4svc bn facebook page and you might get even a better answer.

CRATZ vehicle

Crypto, Radio , Teletype comm's vehicle also used as a Remote Re-Broadcast vehicle in high uneven terrain

They used them for anything and everything...at least one I know of was set up as a dentist surgery. Usually they just get called 'shop vans', and some were set up as electronics and small arms repair vehicles, communications vehicles, office pods - you name it.

One weird thing with Canada's trucks vs. the US ones was that any of the data plates on the Canadian trucks I've ever come across say "M-207", which is actually just the bare cab-and-chassis at delivery, with whatever SEV body to be added later. The US trucks were delivered as shop vans, and their data plates say "M-220."

The only one showing signals equipment installed of that body type is the former LAA Battery Controller

Light AA Control Center.jpgM220.jpg
Blackout Kit.jpgblkoutkit.jpg

Signals van body was heavily modified

Some of the sheets are Provisional as they may have been under testing but not necessarily accepted. Plus it is a snapshot in time. 1964. Other variations may have been developed in the life cycle. These were already at least 10 years old and served into the mid '80's. At 2 Svc Bn they dismounted them and used the boxes as storage. In Borden they had a dozen set up for CP exercises at Regimental Company until the mid' 90's.

This one was used at 25CFSD during the 76 Olympics

202 workshop is Montreal Garrison. I was there as civiy contractor on the AHSVS for 17 months. Shop van. The Sigs gin palaces had the cabinets built in on the sides.

...........................................Now that we understand the additional gear on the back of Gracie the M207 is a Black-out Kit, we're closer to knowing her role.

My next role is preserving National Survival buildings in photographs and since we just lost another one, we're going to step it up!

This one just went away........but we caught it. Griesbach started as a Canadian Military ordnance base in the early days of the Cold War. This was the high school. This floor plan was used in schools on military bases all across Canada. The construction design was hoped to make it easier for children of serving military members as they continuously transferred bases and schools.

Screenshot_2020-02-21 Edmontonplan.png

It was taken over by the military under Canadian Western Command. When I worked there as a contractor, we called it L-1. Someone had to clean the snow for the General.

Screenshot_2020-02-21 Edmonton(1).jpgScreenshot_2020-02-21 Edmonton.jpg

We knew a bunker was added to this building and now we are working to bring the story to the public. Today, this is all that's left of more Canadian Cold War history.

P2210809.JPGP2210810.JPG P2210819.JPG

Another Ahab

This was the high school. This floor plan was used in schools on military bases all across Canada. The construction design was hoped to make it easier for children of serving military members as they continuously transferred bases and schools.

View attachment 791016
That was "thinking it through" and brilliant (on somebody's part):

- No new learning curve for each new school.

- So everywhere the kids moved it felt instantly (+/-) like home!

1944mb

“The M207 platform using the M220 shopvan had a lot of uses. I can't give all these folks credit individually but I gotta say the boys

One weird thing with Canada's trucks vs. the US ones was that any of the data plates on the Canadian trucks I've ever come across say "M-207", which is actually just the bare cab-and-chassis at delivery, with whatever SEV body to be added later. The US trucks were delivered as shop vans, and their data plates say "M-220."
[/QUOTE]

Good stuff there buddy. Perhaps you can answer me this....this hardtop on my 211 came off the m207 Canadian chassis that I have. I would be curious what the bell is for. It had a fitting that I believe would allow a wire to go back into the shop body. Would that be used for when they were on the go and the coffee was done cooking 😁 pun intended naturally. Was a peculiar piece

The gorilla plastic in the side window is courtesy of usmc last spring.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have the bell? Could it be true?

We're missing the bell dimensions and tone. Son of a brisket......you have the bell.

I was going to paint the circle around the knob but it's faster typing. On the left side of the photo you'll see a sassy little plunger. It's cabled to the bell for comms to the driver. Now that you'll let me borrow that bell picture.....I'll go after the facts, maybe get the codes. Ding for go, ding ding for stop and ding ding ding for dinner?

P2010746.JPG

I can just picture ours boys eh......under radio silence and black out conditions eh........reaching for that knob to ding the driver that dinner was ready.

Let's talk bell!

1944mb

You have the bell? Could it be true?

We're missing the bell dimensions and tone. Son of a brisket......you have the bell.

I was going to paint the circle around the knob but it's faster typing. On the left side of the photo you'll see a sassy little plunger. It's cabled to the bell for comms to the driver. Now that you'll let me borrow that bell picture.....I'll go after the facts, maybe get the codes. Ding for go, ding ding for stop and ding ding ding for dinner?

View attachment 791086

I can just picture ours boys eh......under radio silence and black out conditions eh........reaching for that knob to ding the driver that dinner was ready.

Let's talk bell!
Well I will have to get a better video-the sound seem to cut out. When you ring it, it plays “here comes Santa Claus” 😁 I know, what can you do with a smart a$$. Let me know if you need more pics. I will have to figure out how to upload the vid

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks