Civil Defense Vehicles and Items

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My pleasure getting some of the info locked down here. It's surprising just how deep and how far back the cross-border agreements go. We have a pile of documentation to share about the history of the agreements. That link is under construction but the Emergency Measures Organization EMO file will be released very soon.

You can actually help me out and check how the links work in this sassy historic recognition website. Yes Sir we have Historical Recognition already.
The typical search terms can't be said three times fast but you can also find us in "Alsask Saskatchewan".

There's a map link on the right side of this page that should work. Let me know.

Thanks 1010, now I know why I did not find the Dome. I was only 2 or 300 miles NW of the site. The page is very helpful. Hockey on my brain, Oiler Country. Well I don't have to tell you who has the Prestigious, Lord Stanley's Cup.
YES I will, Saint Louis Blues!

St. Louis is a BIG Hockey town and I have scars from playing as a young kid. And my favorite Blue, Vikings own Brian Sutter one of the hardest playing unsung hero's of the NHL.

One question I have m1010plowboy, did the U.S. ever have any military personnel stationed at any of the radar installations?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks 1010, now I know why I did not find the Dome. I was only 2 or 300 miles NW of the site. The page is very helpful. Hockey on my brain, Oiler Country. Well I don't have to tell you who has the Prestigious, Lord Stanley's Cup.
YES I will, Saint Louis Blues!

St. Louis is a BIG Hockey town and I have scars from playing as a young kid. And my favorite Blue, Vikings own Brian Sutter one of the hardest playing unsung hero's of the NHL.

One question I have m1010plowboy, did the U.S. ever have any military personnel stationed at any of the radar installations?
When Maroon moved from Edmonton to St. Louis, The Blues became my team and I sure wanted them to win the cup. While my fellow Oilers fans were already out of the playoffs, I watched right to the last game and got to see Maroon carry that cup. That was a good season. I wanted to go to Florida to watch some hockey so Tampa Bay was on my watch list this year. Good distractions. It's kinda funny and creepy because I have a Brent Sutter signed game stick beside me. Dad sharpened skates for a few guys and this is one guy that gave up a trophy.
P4161284.JPG

Joint American Canadian bases were all over the place and so were the personnel. The Museum nuts I hang out with bought one so the public could see it some day.

g749wc.jpg

We're compiling lists of personnel and hoping folks send in their stories if you know someone.
info@civildefence.ca

This page is a good read and sums most of it up. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/early-warning-radar

Another Ahab

Yeah, hockey will do that to you, especially if you might be old school. It can leave you with tatoos.

My teeth never got fixed right, but they ARE all there, and those chips and divots don't bother me too much.

It's a great game!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, hockey will do that to you, especially if you might be old school. It can leave you with tatoos.

My teeth never got fixed right, but they ARE all there, and those chips and divots don't bother me too much.

It's a great game!!
Having seen your "purty face", I never would have guessed you'd been damaged by either pucks or sticks or even walls. You look none the worse for wear to me.

Another Ahab

Having seen your "purty face", I never would have guessed you'd been damaged by either pucks or sticks or even walls. You look none the worse for wear to me.
Chaplain, I love you, you know it and God bless you!

But we all need to have our vision checked regularly, it really is highly recommended.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally I would describe what things are, where they go and what they're used for. I don't fully understand this piece yet but I know we need two of them. While I go research, we'll drop the pictures now and maybe a radar tech will pop in and tell us more.

IMG_3092.jpgIMG_3093.jpg

A big Thank You to Mattech and his shopping wife with mad spotting skills for getting this cool mug in my hands. I will fill it tonight in recognition of our current global situation.

P4301432.JPG

I hope it's the last time I make this toast. It's the first time I can say ''we raise our glasses to anyone affected by this emergency"......and know it includes almost every single human on the planet.

A Toast:
To everyone affected by this current emergency called covid19, stand up and be recognized. Here's to us! :beer:

Civil Defence has come a long way since it was conceived in the late 40's. From gas masks, NBC, MOBB 4, radiation shielding days to face masks and eye shields, some members of my family still look terrific! If you're looking up at a nurse, we're thinking about you! :beer:

IMG_4515.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the best tutorials on radar that a plowboy could ever hope to read right here. https://www.radartutorial.eu/01.basics/!rb02.en.html
If you want to learn about radar before you come to the dome, radar tutorial is top notch.

I read some of it and still couldn't tell you how things work so I'll let the young lads at Civil Defence explain it right here.

""""""""We received this really amazing artifact donation this week. The artifact is a super magnet that was used in an instrument called a Magnetron. Thank you JC for the Donation!

The RK-6410 Magnetron by Ratheon was the transmitter tube used in the Height Finder radars. It was essentially a diode with a cathode and an anode. The frequency was determined by resonant cavities and the electron beam was focused by the use of a high power permanent magnet. It was a durable, long lasting power amplifier that provided a range of approximately 220 miles.

JC remembers taking it from an AN/FPS-6B when I he was in CFS Moisie. JC was the Sgt in charge of Height Finders at the time (circa 1978). What you se is one-half of the magnet assembly from the magnetron in the transmitter cabinet. There would have been one of these on each side of the magnetron to focus the electron beam inside it."""""""""https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCivilDefenceMuseumAndArchives/

See, that was easy. This is another radar page I enjoy passing along and not reading https://maritime.org/doc/radar/part1.htm and ......the thing down there is a big magnet.

IMG_3092.jpg

Another Ahab

and ......the thing down there is a big magnet.

View attachment 798510
Nice stuff, plowboy, thanks for all the goodies!

I have a buddy in town here (we used to skate the same line playing hockey back as kids).

He is a much better athlete than I ever was, and still is big time into golf, tennis, paddle tennis, you name it, with all kinds of cups and awards.

Funny thing (to me), is how he is always sporting the latest voodoo for sports ailments (he's got plenty, we're not Spring Chickens "no more").

I remember a while back when he was wearing magnet straps on his wrists and knees, claimed it was some cure for something, can't remember what.

You got any arthritis, plowboy? I hope not.

But if you do, did hanging out around that monster magnet make that arthriris pain "magically" disappear?!!

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally I would describe what things are, where they go and what they're used for. I don't fully understand this piece yet but I know we need two of them. While I go research, we'll drop the pictures now and maybe a radar tech will pop in and tell us more.

View attachment 798356View attachment 798357

A big Thank You to Mattech and his shopping wife with mad spotting skills for getting this cool mug in my hands. I will fill it tonight in recognition of our current global situation.

View attachment 798363

I hope it's the last time I make this toast. It's the first time I can say ''we raise our glasses to anyone affected by this emergency"......and know it includes almost every single human on the planet.

A Toast:
To everyone affected by this current emergency called covid19, stand up and be recognized. Here's to us! :beer:

Civil Defence has come a long way since it was conceived in the late 40's. From gas masks, NBC, MOBB 4, radiation shielding days to face masks and eye shields, some members of my family still look terrific! If you're looking up at a nurse, we're thinking about you! :beer:

View attachment 798365
I believe that one reason Nato countries are in the condition that they are now in is we were prepared for this kind of scenario in the cold war and now with the easing of tensions between both "Sides" the preparedness has been overlooked for a simple yet effective virus.

Lets hope that all countries start to take this kind of response to all kinds of medical probabilities serious again. This is nothing to mess with.

Ahab I have to say that one of my front teeth have been repaired from the Great Ice Game as a youngster, broken diagonally. I believe that missing front teeth are a right of passage, playing Hockey. When Brian smiled I smiled also because he had such a large gap, Smile. The Sutter Family was, is Dedicated to the Game of Hockey. Not many jerseys hang
in St. Louis, and No. 11 is one of the few.

I envy you 1010 at having Brents Game Stick, How kool. And as far as Maroon, well I was Glad that Maroon came to play for St. Louis as he fit Right in at the time, even though he plays Left. And then Cali......

:derailed:

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You fellas have your radar on topic even if it's not obvious. After 1945, the question was asked in Canada and around the planet, "what are we going to do to keep our boys busy when they get back from ww11. Like the gladiators in the forums of Rome, Civil life and Civil Defence means keeping the population busy with things like sports. Bigger arenas, bigger race tracks, bigger stadiums, more people to watch the lions or other humans in battle in the spirit of societal togetherness.

P8040371.JPG

The north was a great place to keep busy too and the Dew-line, mostly abandoned around 1985, employed millions of people.

Dew_line_1960.jpg

It's overwhelming preparedness for nukes when you think of all the people with the green and orange iron rolling around the planet. All that work, all those people keeping busy, mostly in the name of continental and civil defence. A continental preparedness system to protect the simplest things, like clean air, clean water, agriculture and even the smallest farmer. In Colonial days, it took 85% of the population to prepare the nation's food, in the 50's it was 15 %.

P5021447.JPG

We had 6 years of nuke preparedness, from late August 1949 to September of 1955 before Soviet nukes could be immediately on our door step.

""""The first submarine launch was successfully completed on 16 September1955, from the submarine "B-67" of the V-611 (Zulu) class, located in the White Sea close to the Kola peninsula. Seven of the eight tests between 16 September and 13 October 1955 were successful.""""""

It doesn't feel like we had a lot of time to think about or prepare for pandemics. With this one being branded with the date "19", we won't forget just how new this is to all of us.

Virus preparedness, biological preparedness, chemical gas preparedness, accidental and intentional chemical release preparedness have all been studied closely, for over a Century. When Continuity of Government took over, too many groups or individuals adapted the rule, "protect yourself first"...and the Canadian population will be told not to wear masks so COG could ensure they had theirs first. As we digest the "New Civil Defence norm" and keep the thread directed, let's tell you how prepared Canada was in the past. Already today, my utility buddies are set up with full body gear and air paks so they can operate in an unknown viral environment. We didn't need to re-write the book, we just needed to open it.

Fellas, we had semi trailers trucks loaded with mobile hospitals spread out at airports across the Country. We could have set those up in airport hangers and screened almost every individual entering the country. We could have isolated and treated them at the airport and returned them to country of origin once stabilized. There were only 200 of them, each capable of handling 200 people but it doesn't matter, we'll find out the idea was abandoned recently and items destroyed or sold off......or maybe still warehoused. Enough reading.....here's a video.

We can't forget about the beautiful cog infrastructure spread all over the countryside. In the most obscure places, we were ready with underground hospitals, storage, communications, food, cattle storage, water reservoirs and so much more. Only a small portion of a population is engaged with the preparedness that goes on around them......but it's there....and we better get good at it.

P3281769.jpgveggrivile.JPGScreenshot_2020-02-21 Edmontonplan.pngmaidstonesask .JPG

Maybe only a few saw a virus coming and our Civil Defence Radar beam wasn't focused across the entire continent. It does appear however that some areas were already prepared. When I met Mr. Kenny and handed him my Canadian Civil Defence Museum card before he became premier, I knew we'd watch him do a lot of things. Sharing info about our Emergency Stockpiles was not one of them so I'm pleased to see some transparency.

"""""Apr 11, 2020 """""

""""""The province has announced it will provide additional supports for other provinces during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Premier Jason Kenney made the announcement Saturday, saying Alberta has the resources to safely send items, such as N95 and procedural masks and respirators, to other provinces at this time.

“Albertans should be very proud that we are able to extend a helping hand to our Canadian brothers and sisters in this time of need.,” said Kenney. “It is because of Albertans’ efforts to isolate and the incredible job being done by frontline health-care workers that we are in a position to support others during this crisis.”

“We want all of our country to know that in both good times and bad, Alberta is there for Canada.”""""""""

""""""Kenney made the announcement Saturday from an Alberta Health Services warehouse in Edmonton, noting that it and eight other warehouses are full of supplies. """""

""""""“I for one as an Albertan and as a Canadian could not in conscience watch us stockpile massive amounts of surplus equipment while we see many of our fellow Canadians in some provinces within days of running out of some of these supplies,” Kenney told a media teleconference. """"""

It's odd that my mother's extended care facility didn't have full PPE gear until the end of April but, the transparency will come.

Another Ahab

It doesn't feel like we had a lot of time to think about or prepare for pandemics. With this one being branded with the date "19", we won't forget just how new this is to all of us.
Good for the preparedness of Alberta, somebody somwhere at least was paying attention. Good for them!

And just for the record, plowboy, about preparedness and all:

- Even the literature of ancient Hebrew scriptures (you know, the Bible) talks about plagues, and

- Ancient Athens is also on historic record with an epidemic plague in 430 BCE

So don't let anybody fool you, we all have had at least 1, 500 years (+/-) to "think about or prepare" for what we are in now. That seems to be PLENTY of time.

But of course first you'd have to know your history.

History is one of those classes during schooling that you don't really want to sleep through, you know?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In 2016 the Civil Defence Museum team made a visit to the old City Hall in a small town near Edmonton.

The building was turned into an archive and we had documentation that it was part of Canada's Civil Defence communication bunker system. Our host asked if we wanted to see the old part of the building in the basement. While the team split up, I was led into a hallway after asking to see the outer walls. Stacked alongside of one wall was a Mobile Feeding Unit. MFU.

wetas cd old.jpg

Primarily stockpiled in 16 support Cities or Towns, MFU's would also be provided to 'reception' towns. At one point in history, If threat assessments indicated potential military nuclear action and time was given to disperse, Canada could hide and sustain millions upon millions of people in Fall-out shelters.

wetas cd old m135 102.jpg

We acquired the MFU with full intention of bringing more of Canada's nuclear preparedness story out to the public. After some incredible hard work and only 2 years after acquiring a building, the CCDMA is getting at all together at the Alsask Radar Dome.

P7051737.JPGP7051738.JPGP7051739.JPGP7051742.JPGP7051743.JPGP7051741.JPGP7051746.JPG

As we paddle through these unknown waters slowly, the main CCDMA team is allowing visits and I know over the next few years the displays inside will just keep getting better.

""""""Aug. 1 2020
Sep. 6 2020
Oct. 11 2020

All tours will be conducted on the hour from 12PM - 4PM
Entrance fee will be a donation of your choice.
It’s suggested to pre register by contacting us via Facebook or by emailing us at info@civildefence.ca
Please follow us on Facebook for further updates.
You're required to wear closed toe shoes.
Our guard will great you at the gates, ask you to sign a safety waiver and provide you with additional information.""""""

Another Ahab

In 2016 the Civil Defence Museum team made a visit to the old City Hall in a small town near Edmonton.

View attachment 805394View attachment 805398
Very cool stuff, plowboy. You are a champ for working to memorialize all this:

- Just for record, please remember, the warheads are live and STILL out there...

Loving the arrow stamp pointing out the screw heads, for disassembly of the crates. That's great!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks