• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Class A CDL help in MN

moose97

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade my licence from a Class B CDL to a Class A and looking for help. I got my B through the local school district training me to be a bus driver, and now would like to get the A. I know I need to pass the written tests first, get my permit, then start training. This is where I need some help. There are no CDL schools near me (Bemidji, MN), and don't really want to pay full tuition for a program designed for someone who doesn't have their CDL and needs lots of classroom time. I'd love someone who could help me with pre-trip, then knowing what I'd need to pass the road test, and maybe most importantly, I need access to a vehicle to practice and test in.

So, PM me, or leave a reply here. I'm looking into my options at this point, and obviously need someone fairly local (the nearest CDL schools are in the Twin Cities as far as I can tell, and want too much $). Thanks!

HASSON1911

Well, I was going for a CDL out of high school to go work in the oil fields but I liked the sounds of a degree better. Your pre-trip is pretty easy, all you have to do is point to the object and say what to look for, in mn they will give you a list of all the objects that need to be inspected.Your best bet would be to try befriend a farmer, they always have DOT certified semi's, and usually a stubby trailer(really easy for your backing up portion of the test). And you can maybe talk them into helping you out in return for running semi's during harvest (easy job, and they will more than likely still pay you). Also, schedule a test in a small town, and learn what there course is. Small towns have benifits of low traffic volume and relatively easy courses, down side is they also have narrow streets. Thats all the help I can give you online right now, if you have any questions ask away.

HASSON1911

Yes it does get expensive if you go to one of these companies. Is 2 hours enough to learn yes, is it long enough to get it down and be comfortable enough to pass, doubt it. Oh and its not like class D. You will fail atleast once. Unless your either god, or you have praticed a couple weeks.

moose97

Well, I did pass the Class B road test on the first try...

In all seriousness, that is my biggest concern - paying the initial $460 and failing the test. I need to call a guy here in town that I know who owns a trucking business and ask his opinion.

HASSON1911

What!!! why are you paying $460 to take a test?!? If you have a buddy who owns a truck and trailer borrow it go to the DMV and take the test, written and road are free for first 2 times, after that its $20 for each.

moose97

"Buddy" would be an exaggeration. Heck, I'd say he's an acquaintance at best (although I know his kids a bit better). Look at the link - the cost is for truck lease to practice for 2 hours and then take the test with - not a fee to take the test...

captain-crank

Does your B have an air brake restriction?

If not, you can take the A with a dually and a heavy gooseneck trailer as long as both have current DOT inspections.

moose97

Does your B have an air brake restriction?

If not, you can take the A with a dually and a heavy gooseneck trailer as long as both have current DOT inspections.
I did get air brakes when I got my Class B (school buses have air brakes). So, you're saying that since I already have that, I can take the Class A test without air brakes? In a big pick-up and trailer?

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my test with my 3/4 ton and 21K gooseneck, both DOT'd. I do not have the air brake endorsement but if you already have that I think you should be fine as long as the combo is over 26K GVWR and they are DOT'd.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks