• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clunk Clunk Start and white smoke on startup

Rebuilder

So my '96 M1078 has begun making a few clunk noises before the starter engages. Doesn't happen every time but it happens more often than not. Runs great once started. First thought was bad batteries so I got 2 new one and tried just those 2 and got the same thing. I then hooked up 2 good older batteries for 4 total and that didn't help. My thought now is a sticking starter solenoid but figured i'd throw it on here to see if anyone has seen this before?

One other thing it does which probably isn't related is there seems to be a lot of white smoke on first start after sitting overnight. No smoke while running though. Reading through the TM's it says it could be injector timing but I'd think it would be blowing smoke all the time if that were the case. Thoughts?

Terry

Duckworthe

I would ask if you checked the starter mounting bolts/ I have heard that they can work loose. I would look at all the items that are mounted to the engine to see it any of them are shifting or moving while starting the engine. I know that my air pump bolt was loose that holds the drive gear on the tapered shaft. Luckily it didn't cause damage to the gear but rather just came disengaged. Good luck and I hope you find it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The starter solenoids wear out. When it throws the bendix out there is a copper contact that engages the motor. I have taken bad ones apart the contacts are always pitted and burnt looking.

sargentwolf

I have a simmilar issue, starter intermittently decides to misbehave.

Is the 3116 starter able to be rebuilt with a rebuild kit or does a pro have to rebuild it? Ive been googling but no luck so far.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have never been able to repair a starter solenoid myself. All the local places by me won't touch anything 24 volt. Same with alternators. I would replace it. I have good used ones but I personally prefer a new one. It's a 2 man job you need that extra set of hands. The starter falls under Cat parts which aren't cheap unfortunately.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had a starter die on me with my kids at Starbucks one day. Everyone was staring at me unmercifully beating the starter with a hammer and breaker bar in the parking lot till it started. Gotta have the breaker bar no room for a direct hammer whack.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
White smoke could mean coolant is making it's way into the combustion chamber. Check for coolant level going down in the reservoir.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks