• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

clutch replace or not???

jasonjc

I'm getting ready to put the transmission back in my truck after 10 or 15 years. I pulled the pressure plate and clutch to make sure it was not rusted up too bad. No rust issues but the clutch is down to 0.39" the "TM" says (yes I read the TM) to throw away at 0.35". So how long will it take to go thought that 0.04"??? Is it worth it to put back in or do I throw more money at it??

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess that's relative to how quick and easy it is for you, with the time and means you have, to re-pull the transmission if something needs to be replaced...
If it were mine, the flywheel would get ground, it'd get an entire clutch pack incl. throwout and pilot, new rear main seal while I was there, and I'd make sure the rear main seal retainer drain-back hole mod had been done; TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2, pg. 4-136

Last edited:

foxtrk2

I'm getting ready to put the transmission back in my truck after 10 or 15 years. I pulled the pressure plate and clutch to make sure it was not rusted up too bad. No rust issues but the clutch is down to 0.39" the "TM" says (yes I read the TM) to throw away at 0.35". So how long will it take to go thought that 0.04"??? Is it worth it to put back in or do I throw more money at it??
if its already out no sence not putting new in unless you like taking it apart

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have to agree with the guys above. With half of the hard work done (getting it disassembled) I believe I would spend the bucks on a Pressure Plate, Clutch, and Throwout Bearing. Theory is that will keep you from doing this same exercise again in a few months or a year.

Resurfacing the flywheel... I have done it both ways. I have slapped a new disc into an old pressure plate and against an unsurfaced flywheel before. They NEVER last as long that way. Often times the clutch will "chatter" and not engage smoothly.

Throwout bearing... I have put them back. They spun good. They appeared free. Get a little bit of old dust or dirt on it and it squeals and makes driving your truck into a miserable experience. That bearing is the cheapest part of the bunch. I personally wouldn't put the old one back (ever). That is ever again in my particular case!

I do have a bigger question for you though: You mention "put the transmission back in my truck after 10 or 15 years". Is that because you lost interest in the project for a while or it took time to find new parts - or maybe "Life Happened" between when you disassembled the truck and now? Might be none of our business, but even for old slow me, ten years is a long time. :)

jasonjc

I have to agree with the guys above. With half of the hard work done (getting it disassembled) I believe I would spend the bucks on a Pressure Plate, Clutch, and Throwout Bearing. Theory is that will keep you from doing this same exercise again in a few months or a year.

Resurfacing the flywheel... I have done it both ways. I have slapped a new disc into an old pressure plate and against an unsurfaced flywheel before. They NEVER last as long that way. Often times the clutch will "chatter" and not engage smoothly.

Throwout bearing... I have put them back. They spun good. They appeared free. Get a little bit of old dust or dirt on it and it squeals and makes driving your truck into a miserable experience. That bearing is the cheapest part of the bunch. I personally wouldn't put the old one back (ever). That is ever again in my particular case!

I do have a bigger question for you though: You mention "put the transmission back in my truck after 10 or 15 years". Is that because you lost interest in the project for a while or it took time to find new parts - or maybe "Life Happened" between when you disassembled the truck and now? Might be none of our business, but even for old slow me, ten years is a long time. :)

"LIFE" got in the way and I have multiple trucks so........

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
"LIFE" got in the way and I have multiple trucks so........
If you work on your trucks like I do - outside in the cold and rain and heat - then I understand it even more! I don't think you will be throwing money away to replace the clutch though. All you would need to do is get in a tight spot and slip the clutch a little to pull out a tree stump, or drag a heavy trailer, or towbar another of your vehicles - and you would "smell that smell" and be back under it again. Forty thousandths isn't a lot of life left when you consider that it is creating (generating) wear on two sides of the disk...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been there. I replaced a complete clutch setup that had about half its life left because I had the transmission out. I did that for the reasons mentioned above - I do not want to have to drop the tranny again for no other reason than doing a clutch. Flywheel resurfaced, new rear main seal. It is the easiest and cheapest time to do it!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

jasonjc

For all of you that said to pull the flywheel and replace the rear main seal.................

It was seeping some so good call!! Don't know if it was the seal or the tube of silicone they used on the retainer. It sure came off easy even the seal. The retainer has the 3 holes , so plus there. Memphis has the seals and the gaskets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks