• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold starting

ROCKWELL-C60

I pray we never go to a war where its cold out cause it doesn't seem like we'll ever get half are fleet running. My a1 and a2 are hard starters in the cold. My duece will always start eventually but the other day I stop by local surplus provider and even his newer truck's ( lmtv) had a hard time starting. What's the military have against block heaters.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
I put one in my NHC 250 when I put the engine in. Now set a timer for 2-3 hours before planned run and she starts like it was 75 degrees out. Love the block heater :driver:

162tcat

Can you imagine trying to plug in a whole fleet of trucks? Not gonna happen. That's why they are equipped with ether assist. Fires right up.

gottaluvit

Can you imagine trying to plug in a whole fleet of trucks? Not gonna happen. That's why they are equipped with ether assist. Fires right up.
Even worse, imagine being far from all civilization, having a truck being dependant on electricity. This is why I took measures to make sure both of mine would start at all temperatures, with no outside assistance or tethering.

lindsey97

Block heater works excellent.

But being dependent on 110 volt away from civilization could be a weakness. I am guessing the military leaves them running, or parks them close enough together to slave one another while using ether assist.

gottaluvit

Block heater works excellent.

But being dependent on 110 volt away from civilization could be a weakness. I am guessing the military leaves them running, or parks them close enough together to slave one another while using ether assist.
When I was in 30 years ago, I drove our squad truck and it was my responsibility to make sure that truck would start in all conditions and run and if it wouldn't, it was my job to report it and make sure it was always combat ready, even during the cold war. We never left them run, but occasionally, one would need slaved. With proper maintenance, even non ether assist trucks start. All of my company's trucks needed a shot of ether from spray cans, but mine. No doing of mine, but the previous driver told me to not use it and it wouldn't get "addicted" to it. They didn't have a built in ether system like the 939 series. However, I sure do like having it with the 8.3. I think it was "born" "addicted".

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
DING, DING, DING!!!!!!!!!! We have a winner. When I was in Korea we let the HEMMET's run all night when we were out in the field running missions if the weather was sub-zero. Easier on starters and batteries and Uncle was buying the fuel. We idled them up to prevent them from slobbering.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan on using the truck next day or whatever in cold weather, it starts almost instantly if you start and run it every 4 to 6 hours, depending on how cold it is. Idle it at 1,200 rpm or so, long enough for the batteries to be fully charged, say 1/2 hour each time. Has worked well for me and starting aids may only needed the first time (if it's cold when you begin the procedure) and no need for continuous idling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks