• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold weather Starting?

JetbikeAnt

Hello All. I live in the Northeast. My 1997 F-250 Powerstroke plugs into an electrical outlet to warm the oil and help get her started in the cold months. I could not find anything like this on my M988. I think the TM stated there is no such option on the HUMVEE. Is that the case? Will my buggy start with no issues in the middle of winter? How about it cold weather gents. Any issues there? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

rcamacho

Make sure your lift pump and cold weather IP advance circuit is operational. Also check your glow plugs.

If you want a block warmer they are available for the 6.2/6.5L from Katz and other manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, you can go the standardly available block warmers for the GM 6.2/6.5 diesel, or just get a magnetic oil pan warmer and slap it on there. Won't be as effective as the block warmers, but having flowing oil is the most important part when cranking over in the cold.

As long as the batteries are in good shape and your glow plug system is functioning properly, it should still start no problems; just make sure to let it warm up before driving.

FKAM

I installed a block heater and use a magnetic heater on the oil pan in the winter here once temps stay below freezing. Makes a big difference in starting and doesn't sound like it is shaking itself to pieces while warming up.

JetbikeAnt

Thanks for all the help! I'm looking at the Katz block heater. How does it connect to the block? No need to punch out a freeze plug I hope? Thanks again!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
With or without block and or oil heaters ....
When it does start and run what is recommended engine RPM for engine longevity?
Like straight 1200 RPM or higher or lower or variable?
Change oil before putting Her to bed for the winter?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks