• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Common engine swaps

cs641

Just bought a Humvee thru GP. Was sold untested and it could be anything from a dead motor to a broken wire or dead battery. I’m just pondering the worst case scenario of a dead motor. What else have folks swapped in? Since the trans is a 4L80E is an LS swap doable on these?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the LS has been swapped in along with some gen I, small and big blocks, also the Cummins 4 and 6BT and of course the Duramax, the last two require extensive modifications and mucho expense.
Having the 4L80 is no different as far as options than the TH-400

cs641

Yes the LS has been swapped in along with some gen I, small and big blocks, also the Cummins 4 and 6BT and of course the Duramax, the last two require extensive modifications and mucho expense.
Having the 4L80 is no different as far as options than the TH-400
OK, so bellhousing is the same? Also, I see conversion mounts listed online for the civilian H1,would these also work for the military version?

Really hoping my unit runs with fresh batteries and I can keep it original but we’ll see.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No the bell housing and LS engine are not compatible, you will have to do some kind of adaption, I am doing the reverse right now, installing a 6L transmission on a 6.2L and it required a bell housing spacer plate and spacers for the TC, a gen 1 would bolt right up but not an LS.

You will also have to deal with different flex plate/torque converter hole spacing.

Most of the bell housing and block holes are the same as are the locating dowels so spacing becomes the major issue
This is a comparison between the gen 1 and LS crank to show the difference in flange depth.
LS_gen1_2.jpg

Here is somewhat of a "guide"

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it will not be too hard, only a spacer/bolts and correct flex plate should get you going, the applicable sentence below.

" To accommodate an older transmission where the crankshaft flange is extended, Chevrolet created a 0.400-inch steel spacer to be used with the most common LS engines using a flush crankshaft. This spacer is located between the crank flange and the flexplate and is used in conjunction with a flat LS flexplate. This adapter also requires longer bolts. We’ve listed both the GM and ARP bolts in our parts list. "

You will also need some motor mount adapters, the LS does not share the same mounting configuration as the Gen I engine.

cs641

Looks like it will not be too hard, only a spacer/bolts and correct flex plate should get you going, the applicable sentence below.

" To accommodate an older transmission where the crankshaft flange is extended, Chevrolet created a 0.400-inch steel spacer to be used with the most common LS engines using a flush crankshaft. This spacer is located between the crank flange and the flexplate and is used in conjunction with a flat LS flexplate. This adapter also requires longer bolts. We’ve listed both the GM and ARP bolts in our parts list. "

You will also need some motor mount adapters, the LS does not share the same mounting configuration as the Gen I engine.
Cooy that.

I see LS conversion mounts listed for the hummer H1. Would they work for theHMMWV?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cooy that.

I see LS conversion mounts listed for the hummer H1. Would they work for theHMMWV?
Should, look around though as there are ALLOT of LS/Gen I conversion mounts, I would suspect the HUMMER ones would be priced as such, look at the pictures real close then go look at others, many times in the HMMWV world folks just re-label stuff to make money.

jrtoffroad

Maybe I misread early comments, but just to clarify:
You do not need a bellhousing adapter to mount an 'early' 4l80e to an LS engine. It will bolt up just fine, although you will give up 1 mounting bolt; with the LS engines GM moved the 1 o'clock mount to 12 o'clock. I have never seen this be an issue, even with some very high HP racing applications (I ran a th400 behind a built LS1 for many years in a ultra4 car). As mentioned, you do have to match you flexplate to your torque converter, but that's easy and cheap.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have
Maybe I misread early comments, but just to clarify:
You do not need a bellhousing adapter to mount an 'early' 4l80e to an LS engine. It will bolt up just fine, although you will give up 1 mounting bolt; with the LS engines GM moved the 1 o'clock mount to 12 o'clock. I have never seen this be an issue, even with some very high HP racing applications (I ran a th400 behind a built LS1 for many years in a ultra4 car). As mentioned, you do have to match you flexplate to your torque converter, but that's easy and cheap.
If you have an LS with a flush crankshaft flange you will need the 0.4" crankshaft spacer or the torque converter nose will not be located in the crankshaft pilot, no you do not need a bell housing adapter for that application.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks