• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Company making commercial LMTV Truck

jpinst

A link was posted once on SS to a company that is manufacturing a commercial vernon of the M1078 LMTV. I am not talking about the hot rod version, but a purely identical LMTV for commercial use. I cannot for the life of me find the link.

Does anybody know who this company is?

Thanks!

DSD277

I had seen links to the Bronto site before, and everything on the exterior is the same, but the engine and trans are different than the FMTV (Cummin vs Cat and Allision 3700SP vs 3070PT).
I wonder if the site isn't (or was) a leader for a investor start up body building company, as the contact page is a Sterling dealer in Alberta.
There were also suppose to be civilian models of the FMTVs as the SS400 and SS800... were there any of these made or delivered?
I would think that S&S were trying to expand their marketplace before they were bought up by Armor Holdings , then BAE.
Also in case with Global Xpediton, they're an aftermarket "RV" manufacturer, and like any of the others, buy the chassis and build to suit... and if BAE isn't making the chassis, it's a dead horse.:deadhorse:
Dave

jpinst

Thanks All! Bronto was it, but the BAE trucks look the same too. My Engine is fine, but need some body parts, and these trucks probably have many of the same parts such as the rubber mounts and bushings, which are all deteriorated on what I have.

DSD277

JPIST,
With the TMs, I'm having decent luck finding mechanical parts commercially.That was one of the claims about the FMTVs, that a high percentage of the parts are 'off the shelf'.

I just don't understand why air drop cabs aren't common in the private sector...:roll: :lol:

jpinst

JPIST,
With the TMs, I'm having decent luck finding mechanical parts commercially.That was one of the claims about the FMTVs, that a high percentage of the parts are 'off the shelf'.

I just don't understand why air drop cabs aren't common in the private sector...:roll: :lol:
That's awesome. What sources are you using for parts and what part numbers are you using?

DSD277

Fortunately, my truck mechanically is much better off than I could have hope for. But when I started to troubleshoot items, I would do a google search of the pn and usually came up with a listing of the nsn and what manufacturer was using what pn. Many of the pn's are the original supplying manufacturer's .
On air brake parts, I've been using Haldex cross reference online lookup. I walked into the HD truck parts house with a few different numbers and walked out with an suitable subsitute.... cost me $50 for a quick release valve and a 2 way valve.
I know I'll need to rebuild or replace the cab lift latch and already found 4 manu's for the latch.

If you need relays, Orvac in Fullerton has them bulk in 12v and 24v. With the relays, I found that there are some with different pin wiring... I caught it before I used them but it could have been disastrous if I had plugged them in.
It is also beside me that they used 12v and 24v relays that can interchange in the sockets, another disaster waiting to happen.

BTW, I'm in Arcadia, at the other end of the 605 from you.

Dave

jpinst

arcadia…..wow, I am in Costa Mesa near John Wayne airport……how about the body parts, have you had any luck with mcmasters? I found a lot of interchangeable HMMWV stuff from them in the past, but these parts are much more readily available. I changed all the fluids, and go the truck running and driving. On a short run it got stuck in a perpetual neutral and would not budge, but when I tired it off everything reset to neutral and it ran again. I think its an electric shift issue. When I got out, the control box for lifting the cab/tire was drenched in fluid…I have a lot ahead of me it seems. I am 90% with a driver, but the rubber is all gone which probably means o rings and others are wasted too.

DSD277

I haven’t really dived into the body part issue seriously yet. I have an ad listed here for a LVAD cab wanted, hoping that someone has one in a back lot, and would be thrilled to be rid of. :mrgreen: I have some really neat ideas for mods to it that even the most “die hard purist” wouldn’t object to.

Did you determine where the fluid come from? My biggest fear was tranny problem, as its the single most expensive thing on the truck. The only fluid leak on mine has been the cab lift latch, it actually sprayed me in the face:-( when I went to use the cab lift. The striker plate had been unbolted from the cab, so just used a bolt to plug the line. Last night I removed the latch and took it apart, it is rebuildable and have the parts I need.... something to do today:)

I’m taking this project one part at a time, the urethane cab bushings are shot on my truck, but I’m not condemning all rubber parts yet. Every medium and heavy duty truck are made up of a lot of out sourced parts and build quality varies from each supplier. I’m sure the bushings are commercially avalible, heck, the bushings for a Jeep lift kit may fit:wink:

On the FMTV I found some fittings in the parts TM that I know are the same part, but the TM give different pn’s and suppliers... If I had half brain , and not the one I sit on, I'd add notes to my parts TM for cross references and conversions.

If you free this Sunday morning, the monthly SCMVCC meeting and swap meet is being held up here in Irwindale. My M1094 is only 6 mile from there at The Tankland museum.

I should update my progress in my M1094 thread, but don't have any new pics... and I know that don't go with people here! :lol:

And IF cab parts become "Unobtainium", there is always importing them from Europe from the mother of the FMTV, Steyr 12M18 (or12M21).... but hold onto your gonads, the parts will cost you.... going from my experience with TD Pinz parts.

Dave

Attachments

jpinst

Couldn't make the meet, but I am finding my truck has a transmission issue. It drives fine and then all of a sudden it goes into neutral with a code # 4. I am thinking of taking it to an allison dealer/repair place. It seems to be a very common set up.

These days I am mostly looking for interior parts such as heater vents. I also recently applied some quiet car to the cab floor once I pulled the rubber mats, as the coating that was on their was cracked and flaking in some places.

Keep us posted in your progress

DSD277

Trans issues are my single greatest fear on these trucks. Mine passed the basic "moving" test:grin:, so I haven't gone any further on learning about them yet. But looking at the TMs, you should have a main code and a sub code, and they differ between the WTECII and WTECIII.
For the vents, I'd try cross referencing the pn with google...I would bet that they're used on one of the HD trucks like Mack, Peterbuilt or Kenworth (but not a mainstream manufacturer). Even the Steyr has a completely different dash.

The heat is beating my old body and I'm proceeding slowly. I'm waiting for some banjo bolts for the wheels for the CTIS, then reorient the wheel on the hubs to hook it together...hopefully, it'll come online. Afterward, the electricial

Flat Black

It is amazing that commercial LMTV truck would be soon launched in the market. This would surely be the perfect vehicle for commercial activities.
sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a long way from the perfect vehicle for commercial activities. It has been through several iterations as Stewart and Stevenson was bought and sold and merged, etc. It has a CAT motor in it (raging POS) and a complex of electronics that IMO are less than desirable on an off road, military, expedition or severe service platform.

We have several large cabovers in the US already and the sales numbers are pathetic. There are no 4WD models, but I doubt that would matter, as something like a new UD2600 is in the $70,000 range with no body, so add quite a bit to that for a 4WD model and then whatever body you want on it and you could be in the 100-150 thousand dollar range very easily.

U500 Unimogs were imported here through Freightliner for a few years and saw success in niche markets like snowblowing and overland platforms but for 125-150 thousand dollars, there is just no value in them for most buyers.

If you really want an FMTV style truck for the civilian market check this out, they start at 180 grand for a chassis cab, complete with 4000 pounds of emissions crap that you cant take off or it voids your warranty from BAE Systems.

http://globalxvehicles.com/gxv-sd-brazos-specifications (and dont call Mike about the truck, he is a dick)

So the solution is to buy a good used Isuzu FTR/FVR, UD2600, FM/FH Fuso, etc and build it to your hearts content. Plenty of cheap medium duty truck axles for the 4WD conversion along with deuce or five ton parts for things like transfer cases, lockers, etc., both OEM/NOS and in the aftermarket through places like Gearhardt and Ouverson Engineering.

I am quite positive that I could build a bad ass cabover 4WD truck for less than the cost of a 2006 base Unimog U500 (about when they stopped importing due to lackluster sales and new emissions regs) or the cost of a new 2wd cabover like a Mitsubishi Fuso FK260 or UD2600.

Last edited:

flighht2k5

Banned
I love it when people try and talk trash about new vehicles. Lmtvs are bad a$$. Unimogs are even better. Try and build a truck to complete with a Unimog. I guarantee you won't be able to. There is far more to the Unimog success than just the basic drivetrain.

Last edited:

DSD277

If any one reads the previous posts, JPINST has a M1078 and looking for another source for parts, and not to buy a truck, and the only electronic in the FMTV is the 3070 trans. the engine is mechanical with a TPS for the trans.... do not confuse it with the civilian version's drivetrain

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks