• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Complete Oil and Lube Job Question

NORTHWOODS

Today we (Northwoods and Ostrich911) changed all of the fluids in our trucks, minus the brake fluid. We are not sure how much motor oil goes in the transmission. We drained it and then filled though the side until fluid came out. Is this correct, it seemed to be about a gallon +. Also looking for the part # for the oil filter gaskets at nappa.

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's all there is to it.

Man! From that pic, I can almost smell that gear oil!

Check the "Parts Cross Reference" under the "Resources" drop-down.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transmission uses gear oil, not motor oil. Have you looked at the LO or TM's?

NORTHWOODS

Acording to LO 9-2320-386-12 It states 15W40. I thought it smelled like gear oil but the LO said 15W40. Maybe i am looking at the wrong LO.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gasket for the oil filter cans is NAPA# 5070 gasket. The transmission uses 90 W GL-1 gear oil. if you use MT-5, be sure it is "yellow metal safe".

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What LO# is on your data plate on the dash, over the map compartment?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LO 9-2320-386-12 is for A-3's. M35 Lubrication Order, m44a3 m35a3, m35a3c, m36a3 lo9-2320-386-12

LO 9-2320-209-12-1 is for the M35A2. Lube order for the m35 series lo9-2320-209-12-1

NORTHWOODS

We just checked the data plates, they are both LO 9-2320-209-12. Apparently we are two dumb asses!! We are still new to all this..We used 75/90 gear oil in everything except engine and transmission...OOOOPPPPSSSSS!!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SOP, Blame it on the other guy!

NORTHWOODS

I just drove one of the trucks about 15 miles with motor oil in the transmission, can I just drain it and refill it, or should we flush it first?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just drain it. and when you fill it back up, try to stop about a half inch from the hole. If you can touch the oil with the tip of your finger, it's good. Too full and they can leak out the front bearing easier.

btw, don't panic over the wrong oil thing. Some people have been using motor oil in the transmissions for performance modifications/reasons with no ill effects.

scooter01922

nice looking trucks you have there. We need more guys in the northeast with deuces :) And IMO we need a northeast SS rally so we can all meet up sometime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks