• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Concealed weapons permit in SC

Blythewoodjoe

This will probably be considered off topic my most but I have had a good experience and wanted to share it with my South Carolina brothers. I posted it here in the safety section because I will be packing heat in my MV while in SC and the other states that honor my CWP.

I just got my CWP in the mail today and if you think those kind of things are a good idea and live in SC I just wanted to recommend the people that did my class. If you are interested PM for contact info. The class was great and I actually learned stuff. The range time was productive too. They took care of the finger printing and everything. All I had to do was show up and write two checks.

If you have been putting off getting a permit no matter where you live, I would encourage you to do it now, before the elections. No telling what the new guys will ban.

If I'm out of line to post this please pull it. I realize it's only remotely related to MV's. I mean how often do you see weapons in military vehicles :lol:

Joe Trapp

steelandcanvas

Good point Joe. I had one when I lived in Idaho, but moved to Kalifornia for work and knew they weren't available there. Now I'm in Colorado to stay, I think I'll apply for one here.

Blythewoodjoe

The dude that taught the class suggested we also apply for a Florida permit because it is excepted a lot of places. I got the paper work for it but I haven't had a chance to get the finger prints done.

HeadWizard

I've had mine in VA for 10 years or so. Other than the obvious reason to have a CWP, it allows you to take less cr$* when you are transporting firearms for other legitimate reasons.

Case in point - I was driving home from the sporting clays range and got stopped in a routine roadblock license and registration check. The officer proceed to perform a felony style traffic stop on me because my fully cased over/under competition shotgun was on the back seat and two sealed cases of #9 target shotshells were on the passenger floor. I suppose I could have been a sniper? Apparently you are not supposed to have both a firearm and ammunition within reach of you in a vehicle? My Bad, I suppose. ( I wonder if it had been a muzzleloader - terrorist, OH MY)

With the permit I don't have to worry about my stupidity as to whether something is in reach or not. :shock:

steelandcanvas

HeadWizard said:
With the permit I don't have to worry about my stupidity as to whether something is in reach or not. :shock:
Kinda the same reason I got mine. While out game hunting, I like to carry my .357 in a shoulder rig, that's OK until you put a jacket on, now you're breaking the law. I also like to throw it under the seat of the truck while traveling, just need to pay attention to what state I'm in. Just wish they would come up with a National CCW, then state lines wouldn't be a problem.

steelandcanvas

Ruppster said:
steelandcanvas said:
Kinda the same reason I got mine. While out game hunting, I like to carry my .357 in a shoulder rig, that's OK until you put a jacket on, now you're breaking the law.
One thing Alaska wrote in to our hunting laws is that it is okay to wear a jacket over a firearm while hunting up here. I had a 44 mag pistol that I took with me for bear protection while out moose hunting. It was nice not having to worry about whether it was covered up by my jacket or not.

Ruppster
I just did a little research on this, you don't need a CCW in Alaska or Vermont.

ygmir

And, the old addage:
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"
applies, I think.
I have/had a CCW here in PR of CA, and, let it expire, due to high cost and hassle of keeping it, and, the fact not all states honor it anyway........
Mostly, it's a mis-demeanor, IIRC, for having one under the seat or whatever, especially if the officer asks and you just tell him in a proffesional manner.
of course, I accept other opinions.........

steelandcanvas

ygmir said:
And, the old addage:
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"
applies, I think.
I have/had a CCW here in PR of CA, and, let it expire, due to high cost and hassle of keeping it, and, the fact not all states honor it anyway........
Mostly, it's a mis-demeanor, IIRC, for having one under the seat or whatever, especially if the officer asks and you just tell him in a proffesional manner.
of course, I accept other opinions.........
You had a CCW in Kalifornia? I didn't think they issued them. What is "PR" of CA? :?

Dieselsmoke

I've had my CCW here in CA for several years now. Not hard at all, but since CA is not a shall issue state, they can pretty much deny you if they don't like the way you dress. Also have FL, UT, NV, WA, OR non-resident. Once I finish my move to my place in NV I'll lose my CA permit because CA doesn't honor any out of state permits.
Henry, depending on circumstnces, it can be a misdemeanor or felony. say you get pulled over for a broken taillight, would be a misdemeanor. Say you get pulled over for DUI, felony. Depends a lot on your and the officers attitudes
Would be nice if they came out with a national shall issue permit.

ygmir

John:
PR is Peoples Republic.........

Yeah, I had one for 25 years.......got it not long out of high school......As I understand it, I actually still have it, it's just not current.......

Bill:
I understand and agree with you on that. I am pretty in control of my attitude, and, think at my advanced age, and undeniable charm (harumph), I'd be ok with an officer.
Of course, there is the exception..........

BEASTMASTER

when i ran the road i always took my 10 little friends with me.a new york trooper saw it on my seat and said you better have a permit to carry that.he said well ,if you got a permit top carry in mass. the toughest state in the country to get one, it's good enough for new york. have a safe trip.i was gone. :driver:

devilman96

CCW's are a great thing... So far many states are working on banning together on these, especally here in the south. We REALLY dont want the Fed involved in making a Federal permit though... It would screw something up beyond repair.

Lots of local info for those whom want to know can be found here. . . http://www.usacarry.com/

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I always thought you had to be a celebrity, politician, or one of the beautiful people to get a permit in California......because you know their lives are more important than joe sixpack's........

But also remember, the Cops have no legal obligation to protect you......

New Mexico is an open carry State, I have my CCW here, but sometimes I carry my 1911 for everyone to see......

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Concealed weapons permit in SC

Blythewoodjoe said:
The dude that taught the class suggested we also apply for a Florida permit because it is excepted a lot of places. I got the paper work for it but I haven't had a chance to get the finger prints done.
Double-check this! I think you have to be a resident of FL to have this permit.

There is often a misconception about reciprosity laws between states. If you get into a shooting in one state that honors another state's CCW, but you live in an altogether different state, but have several different permits in your wallet, good luck with finding an attorney that can un-jack the mess.

There are some good CCW classes out there. You get what you pay for. The cheapies held by a retired police officer and/or NRA life member are fine, but try to find one where a "guest" attorney gives the legal portion. The courses that require weapon manipulation and/or live-fire are far better than the "here's all you need to know," courses.

Encourage females you know to get theirs. (I know, I know. It's dangerous giving our wives the skills. Just incentive to mind your vows!) The NRA needs more female membership! Especially "life" memberships. And, the more female CCW holders, the better they'll fair in the war on crime. We really need to get an upper-hand on the victimization of law-abiding Americans. Get your CCWs, in whatever state you live in, and be confident in your abilities. Stay practiced.

No one should want to take a human life, but in defense of one's own life or another's, they should be willing to take that life. If you are not, fine. But, be at peace with your God and have faith in what you believe awaits you after your death, for it cometh without mercy.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, you do not have to be a resident of FL to get their CCW permit. I have one in my pocket right now next to my Ohio permit. Next time you are going past the house to Eaton stop in and I'll show you. :)

I got it over in Preble County and took the training in Springfield. BTW I don't recommend the guy in Springfield for new shooters and I have told them because their range person was not very safe.

I wear a Glock or Taurus almost every day and even mowing the yard. (Not paranoid, I'm just paranoid.)

I highly recommend getting the permit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks