• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering LMTV

U1100L

Got a M1031 for my service truck for the past 5 yrs ,loyal to say the least. Before that was a Doka Unimog so time to try a LMTV?
Is there a reliable parts source? I.E. shoes, cans, Is the HEUI system 12v or 24v?

Like to hear what you got to say.

Reworked LMTV

I don't know what the HEU voltage is, but the LMTV / FMTV / MTV are 24 / 12 volts.

Most parts cross to civilian vehicles. A few don't.

U1100L

Do shoes, springs, brake cans, seals cross to civilian? The HEUI voltage is concerning. 24v could make it a unicorn at the Cat dealer.

Reworked LMTV

I don't know about shoes, but I did see brake cans and know that you can get seals from Meritor. No complaints ever heard about CAT dealers working on these engines, except the 3116 requires special tools.

snowtrac nome

On the electronic trucks the ecm and tcm are 12 volt, or you could go with an a-0 model and get away from the electronics for the engine, no abs , but you still have the Allison 3000 transmission which has been bullet proof for me.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a M1031 for my service truck for the past 5 yrs ,loyal to say the least. Before that was a Doka Unimog so time to try a LMTV?
Is there a reliable parts source? I.E. shoes, cans, Is the HEUI system 12v or 24v?

Like to hear what you got to say.
You owe it to yourself to test drive an LMTV. After 20 years of Unimog dedication, I have switched to an LMTV (first M-1078 model retroactively called the "A0") for a daily driver. The LMTV has even replaced my Ram pickup as my preferred daily truck.

My quick list:

Pro-FMTV family: Very much cheaper to maintain. Most routine parts from your local autoparts store or many online sources. Many parted out trucks act as sources for stuff not locally stocked. 225 horsepower and auto tranny (which my old shoulder was ready for) really excels in traffic. Drives so easy compared to any other older generation military truck (or even a U1300 Unimog with is a great road truck). I would rather park the LMTV at Home Debot than a Ram longbed. CTIS is a blessing if you drive a variety of roads like I do. Not a fast vehicle but ok if your speed limits are the limiting factor anyway. Lots of room in the cab. Good visibility with mirrors. Great brakes. Easy engine access. So much easier to work on than a Unimog. In case of bad failure can drop drive shafts or pull rear axle shafts and get towed. Can't do that with the Unimog. Geared hubs easy to check from beside the truck instead of underneath as with Mogs.

I like the way cars pull over when the LMTV approaches :)

Con-FMTV: Fuel mileage. Some boast of 10+ mpg. I get 6 to 8, with 8 only on steady longer drives. Bed height is tough at 5 ft above ground; not much worse than the larger Unimogs, but much higher than your U1100 and M1031. No air conditioning, unless added, but you are no doubt used to non-air trucks. Not "easy" to climb into unless your comparison is to the Unimog!! Not particularly good offroad because of no locking diffs.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is a parts cross ref at the top of the lmtv forum you can see what crosses over. I like my lmtvs. Very roomy, nice sealed cab, comfortable drive.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1078's are great trucks and if they are taken care of, they are pretty reliable. We stock most of the FMTV line and keep quite a few parts in stock including spare engines, transmissions, complete power plants, etc. www.fmtvsales.com

U1100L

S&S is an equipment manufacturer.? Nothing for the civilian market, these were the only trucks they made. Wonder who got the contract to stamp out the cabs? C.O.E. are popular overseas but i wonder who got the contract to stamp them out. Thinking Ford CF cabover or Tatra?

Got to be something off the shelf. To cough up the $$ for a set of dies just for the cabs makes no sense. Starting to ramble...

coachgeo

.....Wonder who got the contract to stamp out the cabs? C.O.E. are popular overseas but i wonder who got the contract to stamp them out. Thinking Ford CF cabover or Tatra?

Got to be something off the shelf. To cough up the $$ for a set of dies just for the cabs makes no sense. Starting to ramble...
not sure how you missed it..... been mentioned million times in million places. The cab was made by Steyr. Actually much of the design of the chassis and other parts are like Steyr 12M18

Reworked LMTV

It is a slippery slope when looking at a M1078 and the 6x6 can be had for about the same investment.
True, but remember the 6x6's have some 24k gold plated replacement parts in the drive train / suspension. At least that's how they are priced by some..

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious why is 1078 a slippery slope
I've had no issues with them
Granted they are not as capable as a 6x6 with diff lock but are still great trucks
I'll take any that no one wants lol.

U1100L

Styer, hmm.. that make sense. They made the Pizgauer if I remember correctly. Reminds me of the Volvo T-Ride (Not the C-303), pinzy was similar. Think they ran Meritors as well.
Haven't considered a LMTV seriously till the past year. Free time is a commodity.

Slippery slope because you see what else fits in that price catagory. Goes from the 1078 to the 6x6. At that point HEMT it is, and you got that woderful Detroit sound track to listen to! Yeah, you know what I'm talking about..

Diff locks, some people tell me they have them others say no. My money would be on they do not.

Those gold plated parts in the rears of The 6x might be the nail in the coffin for me. Who knows what will be available at time of puchase.

A '74 Monaco and gettin' the band back together could be interesting as well.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The 6x6 is overkill for average use. Unless you need the weight carrying capacity. I put a good 6500lbs in the back of a 4x4. The frame has arms that stick down a bit with rubber bumpers, the suspension squats down a bit and the bumpers sit on the rear axle with heavy weight in the bed. I drove around just fine like this. I have a detroit locker in my rear axle. But there really isn’t anywhere to go off roading near me, that I wouldn’t end up stuck between two trees.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I enjoyed the hemit but didn't enjoy the some of the things that go with it.

1. If you forgot to belt up and hit a dip in road your going thru the roof

2. 150 gal fuel tank @ 4 miles per gal

3. Too large to take in any tight trails. You have to have two football fields to turn in

4. Watched too many videos where they get stuck and can't get out on their own.

939s are ok trucks but have some same issues they can get stuck fairly easily but easier to get unstuck.

They are loud and wet and also take room to turn. 109 feet to complete circle

The lmtv wrecker is dry good heat.
Room in cab
Diff lock 3 winches and only 50 feet to complete circle quite manageable in woods on tight trails
Very happy so far with performance so unless something new comes along I am lmtv all the way. Have a few repair problems I guess the most expensive so far is replacing hydraulic hoses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks