• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting our Wedge brakes to Cam brakes???

coachgeo

Not sure it can be done.. figured it would be worth starting the conversation.

here is very old similar conversation on939 trucks w/ different meritor axle but similar wedge brakes

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CoachGeo, doesn't look like it got back to. Vintage Iron's post sounded like he knew it could be done. Is he still an active member. I am not as critical as I used to be about wedge brakes as long as the adjuster stay working. According to my vendors and what I read they discontinued wedge brakes in the early 80's but here we are in the end of the 90's and I guess they cleaned out all their old inventory on us the tax payer. Did the same thing in the 2000s with some Aircraft Rescue Trucks. Pearce bullt a mess of them with Detroit 2 cycles, I think they were 892's or 1292's. I personally saw those at the Bradenton, FL plant.
As far as modifications to brakes are being spoken about, has anyone put them on the flanges at the transfer case or or on the driveline in some way. Eventually the parts are going to run dry

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
CoachGeo, doesn't look like it got back to. Vintage Iron's post sounded like he knew it could be done. Is he still an active member. I am not as critical as I used to be about wedge brakes as long as the adjuster stay working. According to my vendors and what I read they discontinued wedge brakes in the early 80's but here we are in the end of the 90's and I guess they cleaned out all their old inventory on us the tax payer. Did the same thing in the 2000s with some Aircraft Rescue Trucks. Pearce bullt a mess of them with Detroit 2 cycles, I think they were 892's or 1292's. I personally saw those at the Bradenton, FL plant.
As far as modifications to brakes are being spoken about, has anyone put them on the flanges at the transfer case or or on the driveline in some way. Eventually the parts are going to run dry
You aren't going to stop the truck with a driveline brake. It'll break it apart.

Parts won't run dry for LMTVs. They will slowly seep out as they are phased out of service. This happened with the 5 tons. Euclid makes most brake parts you need.

You simply need to contact meritor with the brake spider number and get all applicable units with the same housing bolt pattern for S cam.

Wedge brakes work more effectively than S cam and use less air. Both shoes on the wedge setups are leading vs an S cam has a leading and trailing brake.

There is more maintenance involved with wedge systems especially if you don't maintain them or use them. Wedge brakes were preferred usage on offroad trucks do to their limited exposure to the elements. And not an S cam full of mud or rocks between the cam and the axle or in the backing plate.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You aren't going to stop the truck with a driveline brake. It'll break it apart.

Parts won't run dry for LMTVs. They will slowly seep out as they are phased out of service. This happened with the 5 tons. Euclid makes most brake parts you need.

You simply need to contact meritor with the brake spider number and get all applicable units with the same housing bolt pattern for S cam.

Wedge brakes work more effectively than S cam and use less air. Both shoes on the wedge setups are leading vs an S cam has a leading and trailing brake.

There is more maintenance involved with wedge systems especially if you don't maintain them or use them. Wedge brakes were preferred usage on offroad trucks do to their limited exposure to the elements. And not an S cam full of mud or rocks between the cam and the axle or in the backing plate.
Not disagreeing with you but why did then the commercial industry quit using wedge brakes?
If the commercial side isn't using them it certainly won't me profitable for them to keep making them unless you have someplace that is using the trucks commercially. Kinda like Korea using M35's. A lot of parts now come from them.
Then the question of modifications - anything is possible and I was following up on CoachGeo's question, Did it go anywhere and can it be done?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Not disagreeing with you but why did then the commercial industry quit using wedge brakes?
If the commercial side isn't using them it certainly won't me profitable for them to keep making them unless you have someplace that is using the trucks commercially. Kinda like Korea using M35's. A lot of parts now come from them.
Then the question of modifications - anything is possible and I was following up on CoachGeo's question, Did it go anywhere and can it be done?
I stated why. They are more maintenance with rubber diaphragms to be replaced over just replacing a 30/30 chamber.

You can still get trucks with wedge brakes new from the factory. Lots of 6x6 commercial trucks still use wedge on the steering axle for clearance purposes

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stated why. They are more maintenance with rubber diaphragms to be replaced over just replacing a 30/30 chamber.

You can still get trucks with wedge brakes new from the factory. Lots of 6x6 commercial trucks still use wedge on the steering axle for clearance purposes
Thank you for the information. I didn't know new trucks could be had with wedge brakes. Lugnuts

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for the information. I didn't know new trucks could be had with wedge brakes. Lugnuts
Old old article

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks