• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant leak

n8roro

Hey guys, I noticed a puddle this morning, and the coolant was a little low. After filling the resivoir and driving on a short trip there was a steady drip that develped and is visible on the harmonic balancer. I put a bucket under and left for the day, and when I checked later the drip stopped with not much coolant in the bucket. From what I could find online I think I should replace the water pump. What do you think? Any suggestions are appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yifGqd3Yqgayag9v6

cucvrus

My guess would be the water pump seal is leaking. It has a small weep hole on the bottom side of the water pump shaft. Also could be water cross over manifold gaskets. That is my guesses from afar. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

n8roro

Thanks for the reply, and happy Thanksgiving to you too. Is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? There is some belt squeel while the alternator charging if I accelerate hard, could a bad water pump cause this? The belts are new. I'm a big fan of your rebuild threads, and I want to say thanks for sharing and documenting your work. I'm learning a lot from this site.

cucvrus

I will say without looking that is the belts and pulleys are getting antifreeze on them it could cause a squeal. But I would also think that a belt that is maxed out and polished is causing the issue. I have found that belts vary on each truck. I get a set that are tight when the pulley is completely collapsed and tighten it from there. It has worked for years with my trucks. No brand was any different. I did use a few green fleet belts from Gates in the past. But all belts are created about the same. if the squeal tighten them or replace them. When they get polished and smooth the tend to slip. So fix the squeal sooner rather then later. Happy Thanksgiving Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks