• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant level sensor part #?

90Jimmy

This seems like a thread to jump on for this question....coolant level and light related. I have 2 M1009's, they are both 1986 model years but one was manufactured late 85 and the other late 86. The late 85 has a coolant level light on the dash that lights up when the key is on. The 86 has a fasten seatbelt light that lights up with the key on. So the question is, is there another location for a low coolant light? The TM shows a low coolant light only, but I'm sure it says fasten seat belt.

Any thoughts or information appreciated.

blueblaze

The seatbelt light and the brake/park light is on the right side under the fuel gauge, the low coolant and overheating coolant light are under the speedo. From left to right its, overheating coolant, low coolant, seatbelt and lastly, parking/brake light. The low coolant light and seatbelt light comes on during bulb check. The other ones only come on when they are being activated by their respective systems. I've never seen it any other way. I'm pretty sure the civilian trucks are the same. With the exception of the overheating light, it would be the 4WD light instead because the temp light would be a big idiot light or a gauge. This is all in respect to a diesel truck. I'd say you might have a bulb out or maybe someone hacked and switched the light templates. They have different mounting pins within the cluster so they can only go in one location the right way.

cucvrus

The seatbelt light and the brake/park light is on the right side under the fuel gauge, the low coolant and overheating coolant light are under the speedo. From left to right its, overheating coolant, low coolant, seatbelt and lastly, parking/brake light. The low coolant light and seatbelt light comes on during bulb check. The other ones only come on when they are being activated by their respective systems. I've never seen it any other way. I'm pretty sure the civilian trucks are the same. With the exception of the overheating light, it would be the 4WD light instead because the temp light would be a big idiot light or a gauge. This is all in respect to a diesel truck. I'd say you might have a bulb out or maybe someone hacked and switched the light templates. They have different mounting pins within the cluster so they can only go in one location the right way.

This is all good accurate information. The High Temp light (RED) should illuminate during the start cycle. While twisting the ignition switch. As I have been told twice now. The sail boat in the RED Sea is lit. What does that mean. In my case the switch is worn and the light can be activated by wiggling the switch. Have a Great Day.

90Jimmy

Thanks for all the information. Apparently I've been so consumed with the GEN2 light project my mind has started playing tricks on me. Both trucks do have the exact same fasten seat belt light in the same location that lights up when key is on. I must have a low coolant bulb out.....awesome!!! Since I just got the gauge cluster and dash reinstalled "for the second time". no worries, I'm getting to be a pro at taking it all apart.

sneekyeye

Some of the bulbs you can just reach in behind the instrument cluster from the bottom and change them out that way without taking the whole thing apart

blueblaze

The overheat light should come on during the starting cycle? I've never had it come on besides when I have been checking idiot light circuits. Never had it come on in any of my trucks. Maybe that'll be today's research. Then again, the truck starts so **** quick that maybe I'm missing it hahaha

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP said that he always checks fluids and therefor doesn't need an idiot light.
What happens when you are traveling along on the freeway and the vehicle in front of you kicks a rock up into your radiator causing a leak? Or one of your hoses comes loose.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I know. I know. The engine cooling system rapidly looses coolant and the engine will over heat and possibly cause a catastrophic engine/transmission failure all in the time it takes to replace the coolant level sensor and maintain the stock system. Please grade me on my answer. Have a great day. I like the warning lights and keep them operational even after adding gauges.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVRUS, your response was spot on. I am a firm believer in idiot lights. My response was directed at the OP in the hopes that he would see the light.

blueblaze

Correction on my part. The high temp light does light up on the start cycle. Mine had a broken light socket which caused a bad connection with the printed circuit. I ALWAYS leave the idiot lights operational even after adding gauges. I have EGT, boost, water temp, trans temp, oil pressure and a tach and I still have the idiot lights working. Case in point, last year on a long back woods trip I was concentrating on my EGT gauge as things were starting to get hot while towing, all the while I didn't see my oil pressure gauge start going down, then the idiot light came on. Saved my ass there for sure. I watch my gauges more then most people and I can't believe I missed the oil pressure dropping but the 10 cent light saved me in the end I believe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks