• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct Antennas for a M1046a

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no "correct antenna" specific to a model number, they were set up according to the specific mission they were being tasked for.
As time passes the equipment also changes.

Is your goal just to make it look cool with some antennas on it, or do you have specific radio equipment you would like to run as well?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Nice rig!

Where in Michigan? Site rules ask that you post it.

I have a M1025A1, so I know the fun you're gonna have!

AAVP7

Just to make sure; maybe you know all this already:
If this beauty was my new Humvee, I´d first worry about the typical automotive problems that come with this special vehicle, before caring about the outer appearance.
First point would be the wheel spindles in the hubs. Those are known to become loose, and one of your wheels overtaking you on the interstate might sound funny, but it isn´t. So I´d first, before any drive, open the inner hub covers and check if the spindle nuts are tight and secured by at least the second generation of star washer.
Then, the halfshafts are fixed to the brake disks with bolts, that have a tredency to shake loose, and then damage your brake calipers.
Also, I´d check all the bolts and nuts on the driveshafts, and refix them with Loctite.
I´d also check all the joints on the steering. Pitman arm and idler arm are notorious for being defective after a long time.

There´s more, of course, (tires, electrics, etc.), but those are the more dangerous things we have on our Humvees. There is a kind of FAQ in the sticky topics her in the Humvee section, lots of things to know.

P.S.: An MX-6707 antenna belongs to the VRC-12 series of radios that were swapped in the 90s for the newer SINCGARS radios. An A2-vehicle like yours would probably be more likely to have a SINCGARS than an VRC-12. For SINCGARS, a AS-3900 antenna would be typical, but that depends massively on the kind of radio you´ll put in.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the correct antennas for a M1046a TOW Slantback? Mine is to be delivered Monday.View attachment 810701 Is it a MX-6707? Would this be used on the Slantback or on the transom of the truck?
Just noticed... Amazing to me that they did not use fore and aft chains to secure this rig to the flatbed.

papakb

There are dozens of antennas that are "right" for use on the HMMWV as has been stated here depending on the mission or the vintage of the truck your trying to configure. Here are just a few of them:

Radio Antenna usage

RT-246/524 AS-1729 "Old Family" Lo band VHF

PRC-113 AS-( )GRC-206, AT-803 Air band radios

GRC-213/215/220, PRC-138 AT-1011 , GRC-206 long range HF radios

PRC-119 AS-3900 , AT-3916 SINCGARS radios

Beyond these there are SATCOM antennas, DUKE anti-IED antennas and dozens of others.

fpchief

Just noticed... Amazing to me that they did not use fore and aft chains to secure this rig to the flatbed.
Looks to be a car hauler and not a flatbed. Good chance there isnt a chain on that rig. Alot of those guys have never hauled anything but regular cars and trucks and those straps are quick. But I do agree the chains are safer and is what I use.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Antenna for the Tow Hmmwv that is mounted on the right sponson would be: AS-3916/VRC

F.A. Duk

There is no "correct antenna" specific to a model number, they were set up according to the specific mission they were being tasked for.
As time passes the equipment also changes.

Is your goal just to make it look cool with some antennas on it, or do you have specific radio equipment you would like to run as well?
Ideally I want to use VHF/UHF (Im a Licensed HAM) but aware tuning ma be an issue. Won’t be replicating military radios as I need the space and my frequencies for communications. Have a radiotray but top mounts look a bit different from The 998 type tray I have.

F.A. Duk

Just to make sure; maybe you know all this already:
If this beauty was my new Humvee, I´d first worry about the typical automotive problems that come with this special vehicle, before caring about the outer appearance.
First point would be the wheel spindles in the hubs. Those are known to become loose, and one of your wheels overtaking you on the interstate might sound funny, but it isn´t. So I´d first, before any drive, open the inner hub covers and check if the spindle nuts are tight and secured by at least the second generation of star washer.
Then, the halfshafts are fixed to the brake disks with bolts, that have a tredency to shake loose, and then damage your brake calipers.
Also, I´d check all the bolts and nuts on the driveshafts, and refix them with Loctite.
I´d also check all the joints on the steering. Pitman arm and idler arm are notorious for being defective after a long time.

There´s more, of course, (tires, electrics, etc.), but those are the more dangerous things we have on our Humvees. There is a kind of FAQ in the sticky topics her in the Humvee section, lots of things to know.

P.S.: An MX-6707 antenna belongs to the VRC-12 series of radios that were swapped in the 90s for the newer SINCGARS radios. An A2-vehicle like yours would probably be more likely to have a SINCGARS than an VRC-12. For SINCGARS, a AS-3900 antenna would be typical, but that depends massively on the kind of radio you´ll put in.
She arrived last night and maiden drive was good. Wait light operated, oil pressure held, voltage/military batteries were at 24V, breaks looked good, transmission shifted smoothly. Couldn’t find power steering fluid check but fingers crossed she’s sound.

now the real fun begins

Crapgame

Please post a pic of the radio shelf mounts you have. There are a couple different combinations of feet bolted to the hull and the threaded socket in the air duct housing, some have two threaded sockets on the top, some have two on the air duct face, some have one on top and one on the air duct face that requires an adapter bracket that looks like a piece of angle iron with a 5/16"-24 fine thread stud on the side, some trucks need two of these adapter brackets.

Edit: These brackets are Part 12446763 NSN 2590014398268

20200203_162046[1].jpg

Last edited:

F.A. Duk

Please post a pic of the radio shelf mounts you have. There are a couple different combinations of feet bolted to the hull and the threaded socket in the air duct housing, some have two threaded sockets on the top, some have two on the air duct face, some have one on top and one on the air duct face that requires an adapter bracket that looks like a piece of angle iron with a 5/16"-24 fine thread stud on the side, some trucks need two of these adapter brackets.

Edit: These brackets are Part 12446763 NSN 2590014398268

View attachment 811849
Yup ... looks like I need the brackets to mount. My tray is this type (I have the feet on the tunnel). In the interim I may use industrial Velcro to lock it down to the duct face.07750048-7A63-4DE0-96F1-BC16E57D359B.png

F.A. Duk

Not necessarily ... What do your top mounting holes look like?
Top of the duct? Then you need those angle brackets.
Face of the duct? Just bolt it direct

View attachment 811913
This is the configuration I’m thinking of (I have the trays - as well as the smaller shelf if I don’t like it).

Winshield has top holes (tapped) and will be ordering the “L” brackets to “hang” the top shelf.AFD77487-55B6-40FC-B54A-9FC80FAAE398.jpeg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks