• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Corrosion

Robert Denton

Hi Guys,
I know a lot of you have probably experienced the same thing and I am wondering if there is some new cure and repair for this M880 Problem.
I have an M880 77 and the chassis is starting to go. I have worked with metal a lot in the past and can repair the damage with the usual cut and weld procedures. I was wondering if there is a better way to do it to make the truck last, like getting a chassis cut out section from a newer truck that is the same shape in a junkyard.
Or is there a new metal epoxy to put between new and decaying metal that's easy to use but stops continued damage and actually holds. I'm at the point where I'm taking the tank out to fix the left side of chassis and figured I should leave no new ideas undiscovered and that you guys would have tried some optional repairs for this problem. I want to fix this truck because it does everything I need for a truck. Since I have enough of the skills and tools which makes it affordable and fun to work on.
Any advice or experiences with this problem and solutions I don't already know about? Thanks Bob:grin:

saddamsnightmare

August 10th, 2015.

See if you can find an equivalent civvy dodge that wore out from mileage and see if you can get and swap the frame. There are shops that can fabricate new frames and sections of frames, but it might be worth more then the M880 to do so. Dodge, Ford and Chevy back then had serious issues with rust, often from using ungalvanized steel for frame, fenders and body stampings...... Good Luck, and Happy Hunting (Texas or New Mexico might be the place to find the frame you need)!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert, I feel your pain. My first beloved M883, named Gidget, had to be parted out for the reason you describe. Dirt got trapped between the gas tank and the frame and rotted it out there. I got a replacement truck from New Mexico, and the first thing I did was sandblast and prime and paint the frame. No more corrosion worries. I used red oxide shop coat primer from Sherwin Williams and Kem Lustral Wrought Iron Black top coat also from Sherwin Williams. I would not try to fix the rotten frame, find a donor truck from GSA Auctions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks