• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple quick questions about tires and 4 man divider

DatGuyC

So I bought 4 goodyear MT/R's to replace the 3 worn MT's my truck came with, but the 4th MT's was almost brand new. It says right on the tire to not mix MT/R's with the older MT's but I was wondering if I could use the MT as a spare tire so I don't have to buy another MT/R? What is the reason they cant be used together?

Secondly I bought a 4 man divider and when I was going to install the brackets I saw that they go in the same place the rear cover for the 4 man kit would go. I have a cargo cover on the hummer now but might in the future want to take it off and use the 4 man cover so I don't want the divider to be in the way where the cover attaches to the bed. If anyone has installed a 4 man cargo divider with the 4 man kit I'd like to know where you put the brackets.

Thanks.

Picture because new tires :)
20150516_171355.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh that's bad azz. Something about all those wheel studs looks mean. You carry a spare? OK, I think the don't mix recommendation is because the tires have unequal wet traction and could cause a spinout in a wet pavement panic stop.

DatGuyC

Oh that's bad azz. Something about all those wheel studs looks mean. You carry a spare? OK, I think the don't mix recommendation is because the tires have unequal wet traction and could cause a spinout in a wet pavement panic stop.
I don't carry a spare right now but I'm hoping to pick up a rhino tire carrier to go with my rear bumper.

ClarkeF

The reason they recommended to not mix MT's and MT/Rs is because they carry different load ratings. On the up-armored trucks that are at 12-13K of weight toward a 14K GVWR, the MT's (and the 12-bolt rim) can't handle the load. They don't want you putting a tire or a mix of tires/wheels where some may not be rated for the weight.

On a soft-top HMMWV like your own - where you are at 6K weight, the 3K rating of the 12-bolt and MT are fine. I frankly wouldn't worry about it - might look odd, but won't cause any mechanical or safety issues - especially when used as a spare..

DatGuyC

The reason they recommended to not mix MT's and MT/Rs is because they carry different load ratings. On the up-armored trucks that are at 12-13K of weight toward a 14K GVWR, the MT's (and the 12-bolt rim) can't handle the load. They don't want you putting a tire or a mix of tires/wheels where some may not be rated for the weight.

On a soft-top HMMWV like your own - where you are at 6K weight, the 3K rating of the 12-bolt and MT are fine. I frankly wouldn't worry about it - might look odd, but won't cause any mechanical or safety issues - especially when used as a spare..
That's what I figured but I thought I'd ask the experts before I messed something up. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks