• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crazy crazy Dornier 28 landing, 2 views

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good but let's see him land in the South China Sea at zero dark thirty on that postage stamp in front that's heaving up and down in a storm.

steelypip

The dive wasn't bad at all - you could see by the object hanging from the mag compass and his expression that he was keeping mild +G all the time. Looked like he was doing OK with airspeed limits as well. The landing...yeah, I've seen more 'daring' ones, but any time the inside wingtip is less than 20' off the runway and the wings aren't level you're cutting it too fine. Intellectually I know that it was all up to gravity at that point anyway, but one good gust of crosswind and he would have balled it up right in front of that pretty trimotor.

SteveKuhn

When I took my power license at Wurtsboro airport, the glider tow pilots flew the L-19 tow planes like that at all times. Got paid by the tow. As they broke 2500' AGL, they'd start the descending left turn and pop the glider rope at the same time. About (3) 360 turns and they were on the ground and rolled to a dead stop so's the helper only had to walk about 3' to hook up the next one. Off with the next one in under a minute from touchdown

Did it all day long. Man, those guys could fly those old airplanes. A gas to watch.

Steve

steelypip

So what you're saying is he gets an "ok" pass? Seen guys in Cessna Caravans pull stuff like that. Energy management and knowing your machine
Hm. Which hat am I wearing? If I'm an IP he gets to walk home. Does he know the hardware? Sure he does. He can obviously fly. And he was alone in it, which means that property damage and his butt were the only things on the line if he got a surprise from prop blast, wind gust, or bird ingestion (among other things) on that final...unless you consider the trajectory that has him balling it up into the trimotor and the camera operator. As I said, it's the turn onto final 20' off the ground that bothers me. Well, that and the coming in too flat over the trees first.

I file this one in the category of "Yes, the machine can do it, and if the pilot knows the machine well enough (and is a good enough stick) he can do it, but whether or not he should do it is another matter." Margin of error is not just for human error, and the universe is full of surprises. The less altitude and airspeed you have in the jar the fewer options you have.

When I was 20 I would have been impressed with his skills. Now I think he's gotten too casual with some very unforgiving physics. It's true that not everybody can or does have skills like this. It's also true that quite a few people die every year trying to do stuff like this. And yes, I've seen plenty of tow and jump pilots do things like this casually over the years. It doesn't mean that I'd choose to go along for the ride...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks