• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew Cab M880?

1stDeuce

Not sure if this started life as a military vehicle or not, but I've been drooling over it for a few days and thought the M880 fans would appreciate it. (Cell pics, sorry...) I keep meaning to ask who's it is, as it's parked at the Quality Inn where I'm staying. It makes me want one, but the Deuce is fun for now!
C

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:drool:
Not an M series.
Likely Air Force, they had tons of the crewcab short box trucks.
Front turn signals indicate 1978
lock out hubs not typically on a 78
IIRC the front axle the AF crew cabs would have been a Dana 60 vs the typical Dana 44
Any signs of Strata blue?
Interesting wheel openings on the utility bed......

royaltiger1945

My dad served in the Navy between 1971-1977 and said that they had a couple of trucks that were dodge crewcab longbed versions that personnel could use to go off base. This would have been 1976 and part of 1977 in the Phillipines though. They were painted Navy grey.

N1265

Your dad is right, as a Marine stationed at Pearl Harbor we were issued one from the Navy motor pool to take Marine security guards on post. They had troop seats, a canvas top for the bed and a step that was welded to the back bumper.

We used it till the mid 80s then it was replaced with a new window van.

LanceRobson

Back in the '80s I spent some years as an active duty guy working with a Guard mechanized infantry unit. Some of the National Guard maintenance shops had crew cab long bed Dodges for non-tactical utility use. They were mid '70s vintage with gloss olive paint and the white letters and stars.

As I remember it they had straight 6 engines and were dogs on the highway. One of the shops had an engine die and got permission to replace it with a locally procured engine. They swapped in a 360-V8 and left the axle gearing the same and it perked right up. Before it went to auction it got kind of de-tuned so it would run really rough and one of the guys who had done the swap bought it for a song. He painted it and drove it for years.

Lance

Wolf.Dose

Is it automatic or manual.
The Air Force had several of these with MT and maintainance body, at least here in Germany. I drove at least 2 of them, one with standard bed, one with maintaiance body due to my job in the early 90's, both with MT.
Wolf

sammy87

I Drive one on a regular basis. 1975 Dodge 200 crewcab short bed ex AirForce and ex Fire truck bought it with 40-45000 miles. it was at a GSA auction here in Indiana steering box was broke"manual steering" so we went to the junk yard and put on powersteering. drove it half a year the 727 failed so it sat 6months to year and we found a 440 out of a motor home had the tranny work done had to use the 440 727 case. she isnt too bad but the fulltime tcase is its down fall 44 front 60 rear 203 tcase. the fulltime 4wheel drive sucks up alot of the power and doesnt tow as well. We threw a drive shaft after pulling a trailer last fall had to run it 30 miles home in HI Lock was much easier to drive seem to show the 440 power tried to keep my foot out too keep from killing the tranny or tcase.

Last edited:

w200/m880

ive had two crew cabs,one was a d100 ex usaf drab over strato blue and a w200 which was ex us army germany,ive only got old fashioned photos though.
heres a pic not anything to do with crew cabs.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When the gooberment bailed out Chrysler a lot of their products ended up in the military.

I remember going to the TMP at Benning and getting a "K-car" to haul around the brass in....got my arse chewed by a Col. who thought he deserved a more prestigious vehicle.

I didn't miss a single pot hole the whole time I had to haul his sorry butt around.

The MP's had K-cars for admin stuff and the bigger cars for patrol duty.

The Army got the M-880's for tactical use.....most of them ended up as maint vehicles. We had one that had the tool body on it. The mechanics hated it because it had no nutz.

I never saw a crew cab that belonged to the Army.

MARCO1031

We had a crew cab Dodge 4x4 assigned to our shop when I was stationed at Nellis in the 80's. It was the same as a civvy truck just painted strata blue with the registration number stenciled on the door and a number of decals in the cab related to airfield operations. The truck had chrome bumpers and no tie downs just a pintle hitch for towing support equipment.

maxim

Looks like a Bi-Centenial Michigan plate on the front from 1976. There were at least 3 AFB/ANG bases in Michigan in those days that do not exist now. Kinchloe, K.I. Sawyer, Wurtsmouth. All SAC bases I belive.
"Of the nukes, we will neither confirm or deny."

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks