• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Antenna Mount Backing Plate

mistaken1

Does anyone have any part numbers, drawings, pictures or dimensions of the CUCV antenna mount backing plate?

I do not see the plate listed in the parts TM.

I want to add an antenna mount to the rear of my M1009 (have the mount) but I will need to purchase/build the backing plate and was hoping for some info.

I also need the nutserts..... the front nutserts on my M1009 are 5/16-18 thread but I have not yet found any of that size for sale (scroogle searching). Does anyone know where to get 5/16-18 nutserts?

I have a hydraulic knockout set that I hope to adapt to set the nutserts.

Thanks in advance!

I did search but may not have used all the proper keywords......

ida34

I don't think there is a backing plate unless Chevy reinforced the are from the factory. From what it looks like when they are pulled out I don't think it is reinforced. The nutserts are rivet style and I would check a local fastener store for them. The tool can be gotten at harbor freight.

mistaken1

I have found these but I really don't need a box of 100 for $70.00

www.crestfasteners.com

Then I found these, more expensive per unit but less out of pocket.

5/16 - 18 USS Large Flange Thin Sheet Nutserts Inserts Qty (25) [16184] - $31.29 : NutsandBolts.com

There is this design for setting a nutsert:
http://www.bearmach.com/downloads/Technical PDF/Nutsert Proceedure.pdf

I also found this design for setting a nutsert at:
Nutsert Removal and Install

http://www.bearmach.com/downloads/Technical PDF/Nutsert Proceedure.pdf

Attachments

mistaken1

I have not seen any backing plates but others have mentioned them.

Also forgive my ignorance but what is the average thickness of the CUCV sheet metal?

Bobert

I have heard of guys making backing plates. That way you can hold it up from underneath and put it on with regular bolts.

I have not been able to find replacement fasteners that big yet. I reused my old ones but I need to find 2 more.

NMC_EXP

I suspect that using a large diameter fender washer, say 1.5 inch with thru bolts would provide plenty of support. Alternatively you could use two strips of 1 or 1.5" wide by 1/8" thick steel or aluminum strips, one for the top two holes and one for the bottom two holes.

Drill two holes in each and use thru bolts.

Using two seperate pieces would get around the sheet metal curvature problem for a one piece backing plate.

Regards

Jim

niferous

My company sells more fasteners than I can even begin to tell you about. Someone PM me the exact size that you would need and I will get a quote per unit. I shouldn't need a minimum order we can probably sell them individually.

41cl8m5

I was able to get a add on kit NOS cucv antenna bracket, a while back. The package included all info as to the location and how to do the mount. In the paperwork also showed the backing plate. I don't know what I did with the paperwork, but I'll look for it after next week if I can find the time. I think it had diminsions on it so it could be made. Basicly there is a plate with stand offs to make the plate perpendicular ( the side of the cucv has a straight bend line and that is the referance that is uesd as of the higth of the bracket). The stand offs go though the inner wall of the location ( inside will have bigger holes for the stand offs to go though and stop at the outer sheet metal. The end of the stand offs should be threaded for usung the bracket mounting bolts, but you could go with longer bolts and put nuts on the inside. The stand offs should be atached to the backing plate. Sorry,Its snowing right now and next week I'l be working on retreiving my M35a2.

Last edited:

aebiv

There are three backing plate type items that come in the 'complete' antenna kit, one with the standoffs mentioned above. If these (see attached pictures) are what you are looking for, I will dig them out and measure, get part #s, etc.

I took the pics a while back when I got the kit, I like to photo-document such things. The parts are now stashed somewhere in my shop for use 'someday'. (Read- Packrat...)

I attached a picture of the # for plate with standoffs, but apparently didn't take one of the others. Since it is hard to read in the reduced size picture (original is 1.8mb!), the number is DAAB07-86-P-0332.

Cheers

Nice ol mog in your avatar :)

mistaken1

Well after looking at the nutserts they have a very limited thickness range so I drilled holes in the body and used nutserts to mount the antenna bracket. Seems to work although it will not be as strong as if it had a backing bracket.

On the other hand all I plan on installing on this mount is a 5/8 wave 2-meter antenna.

So as long as that third antenna bracket is not assaulted by a tree trunk or another vehicle it should be good for awhile. Assuming the holes don't rust out, I did paint them before installing the nutserts.

mistaken1

This is the newly installed mount.

I used the 5/16-18 nutserts from Grainger (wide flange). I used the size Z drill bit. I set them with a grade 8 bolt, a 1/2" nut and some star washers. The hardest part was to get the nutsert to start collapsing, once it started all went well.

Attachments

41cl8m5

I finally was able to locate the prints and take some pix of the backing brackets. I know its been awhile. Been real busy keeping the job and trying to pay the bills

Attachments

HOWEY

Antenna dilemma.

I am resurrecting this thread as i have searched for an answer to the following questions?

I have two antenna mounts placed behind the front doors on my 09 used for my RT-524 and R442 , i have acquired a NOS drivers side CUCV radio rack so i can install a AM-2060 with 77set. Roger so far?

If i mount another antenna bracket to the rear pass side how are the antennas tied down, did CUCVs come with only two initially, would three look silly?
I have seen 4 mounted on some trucks on the site but what comms install would command so many antennas ? :???:

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I am resurrecting this thread as i have searched for an answer to the following questions?

I have two antenna mounts placed behind the front doors on my 09 used for my RT-524 and R442 , i have acquired a NOS drivers side CUCV radio rack so i can install a AM-2060 with 77set. Roger so far?

If i mount another antenna bracket to the rear pass side how are the antennas tied down, did CUCVs come with only two initially, would three look silly?
I have seen 4 mounted on some trucks on the site but what comms install would command so many antennas ? :???:
This is from TB 11-5820-890-20-77.CUCV antenna.jpg

ramcatdoc

My antenna mounts are just behind the doors, as yours are. However, if I try to run them forward, I have two problems: they tend to get caught in tree limbs, which is very inconvenient, especially when off-roading. They also make it so I can't open the doors, as the antennas bend down across them. Mine came with the military tie-downs in the back, on the quarter panels, and I have been happy with that. Makes it look like a deep-sea fishing boat, but whatever!

HOWEY

"They also make it so I can't open the doors, as the antennas bend down across them."

That dont sound too good?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks