• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Arctic Grille Front

Kaiser67M715

Hi all, working on a truck that I would like to put a front grille cover on for the winter months. I have lots of canvas material and an industrial sewing machine. All I need are the outer dimensions of the cover, this way I can leave material where the slave plug and blackout lamp are and create a flap in the center for the warmer days. I tried creating a template, but it didn't fit well underneath.

Pictures of actual attachment points would be very helpful as well.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why bother making your own. Visit John's Website, for less than $100. he can set you up with what your looking for.

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=5][COLOR=#6b7d68]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[IMG]http://www.jatonkam35s.com/images/cucv/cucvwinterfrontinstalled.jpg

Kaiser67M715

I have little money right now, plenty of material, and I currently have time to do so. I need to make other custom interior pieces for various vehicles, so because of the simple design I figure it would give me good practice in prep for those pieces.

Ilikemtb999

So what is it that you actually need pics of? There are 3 snaps under the hood and 2 quarter turn clips on the sides of the grill halfway up. The bottom tucks in behind the bumper and there are loops (though I don't use them because of my winch location)

Jeeperjoe

seems kind of strange that those are like 99% coverage over the radiator, dont you still want some good airflow even if its cold?

Kaiser67M715

The three snaps under hood, I think I know location they would be used, but would like to verify, and how the bottom attaches

The Arctic cover does block a lot of airflow, all right if you see lots of 20F and under, having someway to either roll it up or open a flap for more airflow as weather dictates is necessary for some weather. Diesels don't typically produce the same heat as a gas motor, the covering will help the motor warm up faster and stay at temp better.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you go. John's winter fronts are outstanding quality. I can't imagine why you would want to try to make one yourself when his are readily available and worth every penny.

Attachments

Ilikemtb999

It's also in the Arctic kit install TM page 91-92. The screw in snaps can be found at most hardware stores. That's where I got a replacement. The 1/4 turns I've seen as well.

IMG_9815.jpgIMG_9816.jpg

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

I did see the install pages, but in my opinion the pics aren't good enough, it gave me a general idea for the top snaps, but the bottom tie backs still confuse me; mainly the outer ones-the holes I see in my radiator support seem way to far to the outside. It is possible my support doesn't have the holes, so maybe that is why.

cucvrus

I will sell you an original one that I received with a CUCV 20 years ago. It is the genuine thing. Not a Knock off. It has a heavy quilted insulated front cover with all the seams coated in water proof sealer. I ran it a few years and then changed the lighting on the front and did not want to cut the cover. I also have an M1009 rear gate cover. The cover that was on the roof was destroyed. I have been making covers by bolting on various home made things I make and find. But the cover is for sale.014.jpgDSCF5833.jpgDSCF5834.jpg015.jpg013.jpgDSCF5835.jpg012.jpgDSCF5832.jpgDSCF5952 (2).jpg

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a full kit for a 1009. It's to hot here. I'm never going to use it. If someone is interested.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Strangely enough, Chevrolet (and GMC by default) did an amazing job sizing the radiator on these trucks. I had a '79 civilian that never got warm in the winter. Changed thermostat and even installed a real mechanical gauge - just so I could know the real coolant temperature. Even drilled and tapped the water neck (thermostat housing) and added a second temperature gauge there.

Again, truck never got warm. I didn't know there were Arctic Grille Covers but I had noticed that tractors had snaps for a cover in the winter. The absolute BEST thing I ever did was a thick piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. I only covered about 3/4 of the radiator. Slipped the cardboard in from under the bottom and let it rest on the frame below the radiator. The first winter that I had it that way was the first time I had HEAT in that truck and the defroster could actually defrost the windows. It isn't official, but in my case it worked like a dream.

I always thought I would build something with a big Chevy logo on it and put snaps on the truck. That never happened - but the 10 minutes spent on the ground every year until I sold the truck - where wonderful investments in me being happy in cold weather :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks