• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Crew Cab?

tymbom

I know there is no such thing... there is military crew cabs out there, but they aren't a CUCV. what I would like to know is anyone has built one? I remember someone doing a suburban awhile back, but I've never seen a good crew cab. That being said I have a 1985 M1008 parts truck and 1983 C30 Crew Cab that are gonna be breeding soon. Post up some pics if ya got one...
Basically I'm gonna strip the tan truck for everything I can. Its a non runner that has already been picked over before I got it from French Camp. Then everything is going into the civvy crew. I know it won't be a real CUCV. But real CUCVs don't have 37s and a Cummins either. It will look real enough to all the folks on the street.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a project I wanted to tackle. Good luck. Are you transporting the 4WD system?

MilChevyguy

IF you start a new post with the build....update the link here so we know where to go!!!

I say go even deeper...make it a dually too....OK you don't have to but I would love too

Awesome pics BTW

tymbom

Yes, I'm need the 4wd where I live. Too much snow to have a truck without 4wd. Right now I'm still in the parts gathering phase. I've been looking at different options for drive train. Pulling trailers to the dunes is in the future so a Cummins for sure. After that I'm thinking a Eaton-Fuller 6 speed to a divorced NP-205. I plan to run the same suspension that I have on my green truck with 37 inch tires. The 6-speed has an overdrive that will bring the Rpms down for the freeway.

Easypatriot

This is something I've been considering for a while as well, but from a different angle... in order to keep the vehicle as much a CUCV as possible, I've been looking into transplanting the crew cab ONTO the CUCV frame... I realize I will have to relocate the fuel fill (most likely) and the bed would either be bobbed or fabricated. I look forward to seeing the results of your breeding scheme ;)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been a couple guys who made a CUCV variant out of a Suburban, with excellent results. I think a crew cab CUCV would be pretty awesome.

Subscribed!

tymbom

I've been planning this for about two years already. The crew I have kinda fell into my lap for free. I just had to drive about an hour or so to get it. At one time I had a 79 short bed fleet side too. I was thinking hard about running the factory short bed and the crew cab. Those are sweet. When I got the tan truck, the bed is in such good shape that I think I'll run it. Basically the only parts of the crew cab I'll be using is the frame, cab, and rear doors. I'm trying to find an extra pair of door handles right now. The crew cab is a Silverado, with tilt and a/c and stuff, so it might end up with some carpet and stuff. We'll see. I'll try and update this thread when things start moving. I'm waiting on Pacific Power up in Portland to get their act together so I can get power back in the shop I rent.

tymbom

I'm up in the very northern part of the state in the town of Yreka.
I'm gonna use the CUCV doors since they have the markings and tags on them. The weather stripping and vent windows are in good shape too. I'd like to use the black plastic moulding on the floors too. One of difficult parts of this project is finding the parts to make the rear doors match the front. I have this strange aversion to fancy interiors in my trucks. The tilt column is nice, but I don't want all the fancy stuff like cruise control. I'm also planning on using the vents on the kick panels. The interior of the tan truck is green of course. I'm planning to paint the inside of the crew cab green as well. Then the glove box and ash tray can be used as well. The dash panel will be used too.

2002ford

i will be watching this to. If I had the time I would try it. I have 1 crew cab now and a duelly deisel crew cab coming in next week. I have the parts but no time.

tymbom

Nothing new to report... I'm still acquiring parts. The main difference between the frames is the spring hangers. The front hangers need to be added, and the rear ones switched since the 4x4 ones are taller. Also the transmission hump is flatter in the 2wd...
Now if I could get the engine swap done on my M38a1, buy the engine, trans, transfer case, lift, wheels, and tires, I'd be done in a week. Or so.

2002ford

I am thinking about this truck with a M1010 box. I think it would look nice and hold more than my 1010. It has a 6.2, 4sdp, and ac already.Baton Rogue 071.jpg

nyoffroad

Nothing new to report... I'm still acquiring parts. The main difference between the frames is the spring hangers. The front hangers need to be added, and the rear ones switched since the 4x4 ones are taller. Also the transmission hump is flatter in the 2wd...
Now if I could get the engine swap done on my M38a1, buy the engine, trans, transfer case, lift, wheels, and tires, I'd be done in a week. Or so.
Yep floors are different, If you look (IIRC) you'll see an outline on the floor where the tranny hump is, just cut the donor floor hump there (on the large size) and cut the crew cab alittle smaller makes swappin tranny's easy too!. Or just use a body lift.
Take a close look at the front frame sections, I believe there's more of difference than you think. I know an axle can be added just don't remember seeing what was done. Good luck it'l be great truck when done

tim292stro

I was just getting ready to kick off my own build thread (similar specs). What should we call it? I was thinking of grabbing the M1027 slot since popacom took the M1032e1 (M1032 I thought was a Patriot missile trailer...).

Blendmaster2002

Tim22stro, M1027 could work, aren't the suburban builds are going with M1007, or What about XM1008, XM1028, XM1028a2 or something like that. Use the X like I think the military does with an experimental one off version of one of the existing equipment? In this case the experiment being the testing of the same platform in crew cab configuration for added personnel transport?

Last edited:

tim292stro

I like the X idea, my issue with M1028 is I'll end up with a mishmash truck: crew-cab (currently non-existant as an "M" truck, but they had a bunch...), Dana 70 dually (M1028A3), PTO (non M1028 base-model, but available on A1 and A2 revision supposedly, and not in the A3), A/C (M1010), and a generator (M1031)

Maybe XM1028B1? I just don't like the idea of using a "B" though I see that popacon used an "e" on his recovery vehicle thread.

I thought M100 was a trailer?

I think I'll designate XM1027 - was planning on whipping up a fake data plate to make it more "legit"...

Please call me "Tim" :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks