• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Pintile Hitch

zyrtecx

Looking for some ideas or plans to take an M1009 pintle hitch and attach it to a standard vehicle type hitch to use in a receiver on my F250 and still have the ability to turn the pintle all the way around.
Has anyone made anything like this? I did not want to re invent this, if someone has all ready made one...

zyrtecx

Well, seems as if nobody on this sight has do what I ask in the above message:roll:...
So, I will figure it out myself:razz:... and keep it to myself:p...

StreetbikeDepot

I have a receiver hitch that has a plate with various sets of holes to mount a 4 bolt flange pintle hook. Is that what your talking about? You can also get a pintle/ball combo that is the same bolt pattern as a CUCV pintle.

Here is a receiver mount for a standard pintle hook.
Pic at liink below and order info at 2nd link below.

If this does not do what you want and your saying you want to maintain the swivel capability of the M1008/ M1009 series pintle hook. I might have one of what you talk about. Here is a pic of what I have.

Note: The item in the background is not part of the pintle mount. Its a totally different kind of pintle.

http://images.hayneedle.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img=master:CE1158.jpg&h=576&w=576

Titan 2-1/2 Inch Receiver Pintle Hook Mounting Plate - Ball Mounts at Trailer Hitches

Last edited:

86M10086.2L

if you go to a real truck shop, they sell swiveling pintle hitches for dump trucks and such. and you can buy the drop hitches with ajustable plates to mount them to for a 2" receiver. It'll be a bit pricey, but it's out there. You could make one out of the cucv stuff. But cutting the hole in the base plate, that should probably be at least 1/4" to 3/8" thick will be the hardest part. Unless you have a nice set of metal hole saws, or access to a plasma cutter.

Lex_Ordo

I have not seen a receiver type pintle hitch that incorporates the 360 degree swivel. Most are rigid mount. You would have to buy a larger mounting plate and cut a hole out so the swivel portion of the pintle hook could pass through and still mount the front face to the plate.
You might want to just fab up a quick rigid mount.
I used a Buyers PM84 receiver adapter, a GI Chain Plate, and a Buyers PH15 Hook. Four bolts and away we go.

Attachments

jimm1009

I have been using a rigid mount (similar to the civy vehicle shown in this thread) and also similar to the M38 jeep pintle for 15 years without problems.
This is mounted to an adapter plate that plugs into a conventional receiver hitch.
I would think that you would abosrb a lot of liability if you drill an 1 1/4 inch diameter hole in the drop plate in order to mount the swivel style hitch.
Just my 1.7 cents worth but a crying widow in court almost always wins the big $$ plus you having to live with it too.
Not trying to discourage you because you are on the right track to getting what you need but "perhaps" on a rusty section of the rail.
I'm sure others have pictures of thier favorite and here is mine in a Valley brand which is one of many.
jimm1009 :-D

Attachments

Matt65

I had thought about the pintle/ball combo myself. The only problem is that the pintle location on my M1008 is too high for most civi trailers that I would be using. Eventually I will be adding a reciever hitch below the bumber and keeping the pintle on the bumper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks