• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVs and Thermostats and Heat: Might Wanna Know This

Somemedic

So...

After 5 yrs of MV ownership theres a few things I thought I'd share with the class. The first mv was my daily driver M1009. Its also the first diesel Ive owned. I'll admit that I dont know all there is but Im a little further along than when I first started banging around this board.

I dont believe the truck has, since Ive owned it had the proper thermostat in it and, alas, it may also be why I didnt really dig driving it in the winter much. Las week was the first time Id heard about the "other" kind of thermostat. Its the one that has the alleged hockey puck on it. And it got installed on the Blazer this morning at the fire station while it was blowing like **** outside and snowing. Strangely enough it seems I have a great deal more heat at idle than before and i cant wait to give her a rip and confirm this. Pics to follow with further info>>>

Last edited:

Somemedic

Our first pic is of the box, part number, and where to obtain it (for $20).

Pic number 2 shows the proper part ready for install. Notice the silly looking puck. Not sure what the dif is but it seems to be working better than before the install.

Pic 3 is the orientation of the 'stat. Pointy nose towards the radiator, puck towards the firewall.

Pic 4 shows the pipe plug on the water pump where a brother might place a 45 or 90 elbow and run his input to his heater core from. This is on the passenger side of the waterpump, kinda under the pass side alt.

Pic 5 is the INCORRECT thermostat sold at autozone for $11. Its rated for 195 degrees. Theres also a listing for another more expensive 'stat (IIRC $34 or so). They will say that this stat is no longer available through their stores and then try to sell you the cheapie. Not an option for a cat looking to stay warm in his ride. Not sure what the mechanical consequences are (motor never really warms up, never really stays cool, etc) All I know is the heater sorta blows tepid which aint cutting it.

Attachments

Last edited:

ctmustang

Just recently got the thermostat in my deuce which I took out when I bought it because it was over heating in aug. Got the radiator rodded out and put the thermostat back in a couple of weeks ago and guess what. Man what a kick to finally own a deuce with heat. It actually gets warm in the cab at 30deg. Felt like I hit the jackpot and plan on driving it a lot more this winter.:-D

mangus580

Great write up... you should add it to the Wiki!!

I have discussed this before back when I got my 1009 - sadly changing my tstat never really did help!

m38inmaine

My wifes M1009 has great heat, my M1031 with a new heater core, correct thermostat has fair heat, my brothers M1009 new core, correct thermostat has lousy heat. Not sure what the fix would be but I have driven alot of CUCV's and the heat does seem to vary between them.

Stoudty

Are there any types of auxillary heaters that people have put into the CUCV to get heat to the passengers in the back? My kids are cold when I drive them to school in the morning. MN winters can get brutal. I just replaced the main heater blower and it works great but I want to produce more just for the winter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks