• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 855ci pistons?

290smallcam

Was looking at 14:1 comp. ratio pistons and they were the "newer" Tri Tech pistons for a Big Cam. Looking at my manuals for the NHC 250 and B.C.400, they have the same measurements. Can they be used in any motor? Can a B.C. piston be used in a small cam, and vise versa?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Was looking at 14:1 comp. ratio pistons and they were the "newer" Tri Tech pistons for a Big Cam. Looking at my manuals for the NHC 250 and B.C.400, they have the same measurements. Can they be used in any motor? Can a B.C. piston be used in a small cam, and vise versa?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Size of the piton is the same, 5 1/2 inch bore, it is the bowl design that makes a difference on the pistons. TriTech changed bowl design to accommodate the ring pack repositioning on the piston. 14:1 comp pistons along with the base timing...IIRC, .065, .067 or maybe .072....might make a mosquito repelling machine that won't clear up and black smoke when running down the road and maybe before the latter have reared their head, a no or hard start issue.

Take a look at videos that show cold starts on diesels. Those show what happens when the combustion temps are not up enough to lite it. They eventually clear up. Imagine that but in a climate that would normally support good combustion, but it won't clear up.

290smallcam

I know they made 400HP smallcams. Would anyone know what the timing was on those? If it's up in the 60-70's wouldn't the cam fit the NHC 250? If so installing the tri tech 14.1 or 14.5 piston would work???? Of course one would send the Pistons out to EMBEE coatings, to thermally coat the tops since there is no oil piston jets on NHC..

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I know they made 400HP smallcams. Would anyone know what the timing was on those? If it's up in the 60-70's wouldn't the cam fit the NHC 250? If so installing the tri tech 14.1 or 14.5 piston would work???? Of course one would send the Pistons out to EMBEE coatings, to thermally coat the tops since there is no oil piston jets on NHC..
CPL 695 is the 400 magnum small cam motor. Cam code E. It used 14.0 Pistons that are used in cpl 531

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, it is not size, it is the bowl design. Yes, there was a 400 magnum, it was a small cam but it liked to eat camshafts. There was also a 440 magnum .It was step time controlled and ate cams faster than the 400. Keep in mind, what I had first hand knowledge on were used on OTR application, actually working the truck daily. What and how these are being used for, not the same, well except for Simp. High HP small cam wouldn't work reliably for what he is doing with his stuff

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Again, it is not size, it is the bowl design. Yes, there was a 400 magnum, it was a small cam but it liked to eat camshafts. There was also a 440 magnum .It was step time controlled and ate cams faster than the 400. Keep in mind, what I had first hand knowledge on were used on OTR application, actually working the truck daily. What and how these are being used for, not the same, well except for Simp. High HP small cam wouldn't work reliably for what he is doing with his stuff
Why I acquired a truck with a KTA, the next saga begins

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way cool! 450 or 600.......there was a 750 too. the saying goes, got a "K", gotta pay! Pics or it ain't real!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks