• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cutting oil as fuel?

bigbird1

Just had a 55 gal. drum of NEW oil given to me for the truck fuel, Any idea what they put in cutting oil that could hurt the injection pump? its make by Lyondell company , ML-25 .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, a google search pulled up a bunch of molecular strand pics. Time for someone smarter to look into this. ;)

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way back, 1000 parts per million, today 15 PPM. The old gear oil had high sulfur, ( back in the 1950's and 1960's in the 2 1/2 ton M35) remember the teeth on the ring & pinion was polished to a mirror finish, sulfur.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems like the purpose for the cutting oil, is not to lubricate, but to remove the heat, generated by the cutting process. That while its called oil, it might not have much in the way of lubrication. Here, we have two distinct diesel fuels: #1 & #2. Some engines don't run well on #1, our winter grade fuel (#2 will gel up at about -10F, and it -25 out). The thinking about why they don't run well is its said to be too dry - not enough lubrication for the IP.

It might be risky to burn it, but if you do, let us know if you can recomend it.

steelypip

I'd be very cautious about it as a fuel. But, as has been mentioned, cutting oils tend to be specialized and expensive. I'd try hard to find a machine shop that wanted it.

Beyond Biodiesel

Oil is oil. I have been burning a wide range of waste oils that I thin with a wide range of solvents for 7 years on the same diesel engine. You just have to thin it to .850sp using a hydrometer, then settle out any sediments for at least a week, then filter it down to 1-micron and/or centrifuge it; and it will burn like diesel fuel and remain liquid to pretty cold temperatures, ie. 0F (-18c).

On the other hand, if you can sell your cutting oil and get more for it than diesel fuel, then you are ahead of the game. Whoever buys your cutting oil, might have waste oil that you can thin with gasoline, settle, then filter, and burn as fuel.

Ray70

:ditto: I'll give another vote for selling it. There has to be plenty of shops that would buy it for way more than the value of 55gl of diesel.
Do you have spesific information as to the brand name and type of cutting oil? It would be useful to advertise as much info as possible and check what the retail price is for the oil you've got, then sell at a decent discount.... 2cents

trukhead

How much would you charge for a gallon or 5 gallons of the cutting oil and what is your zip code as I would drive down from WI to pickup the oil? Or, how close to Chicago are you?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks