• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 44 axles needed

Stayfrostynhm1009

So being new to this, bought my first M1009 a few months back. Just determined both axels are shot. The previous owner(s) left them high and dry. Was driving it the other day and dropped the drive shafts, fun times. We took them apart today as we were giving them a thorough once over before much needed new suspension install and low and behold they were bone dry and gears eaten up. Any advice or referrals on where to get new Dana 44 axels? Appears hillbilly wizard is sold out. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

faststandard

Unless someone changed your axles, the M1009 front and rear axles were supplied by GM out of their gear and axle plant in Detroit. They should both be 8.5" axles that are referred to as corporate axles. The gear ratio should be 3.08.

Your gear oil has a lot of moisture/water in it. By the way, the differential in the rear axle is an Eaton locker while the front axle has an open differential. Being as though your photo shows the manufacturing holes inside of the cover indicates that this is indeed a GM corporate 8.6" rear axle with an Eaton locker. The tooth count should be stamped into the O.D. in the ring gear - you will have to wipe it off to find them.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The CUCVs use corporate 10 bolts front and rear on the M1009. Honestly though, and 73-87 chevy 1/2 ton axles will work. You could also probably find a 3.42 geared set. Or maybe 3.73. You could run 33's then. The gov-lock has never impressed me. I've turned 3 of them into kibbles and bits over the years.

Rex1977

Hey I am new here, just started working on my old m1009. This may not be the right place for this question I just saw the thread was active. The tires are shot so need new rubbers. If I up size a bit and put 32x11.50R15 would that fit without any rubbing issues or gearing problems?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome Rex1977

What is customary is to go ahead and start a new thread as to try and keep different problems and solutions separate. Although sometimes they can be intertwined.:burn:

Also a search can be done and you can gather multiple answers and differing opinions. Good Luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks