• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 44 swap, M1010

BikerBi11

I have an 85 M1010 with the common 4.56:1 gears and rear locker. The 4.56:1 gears are too low for me living out in Wyoming, so, I am going to swap out the front Dana 60 for a Dana 44 with 4.10:1 gearing with Hummer 37s.Will also be doing the rear with a corp 14 FF same gear ratio. using blocks in the rear until funds and time become available to do the shackle flip. I know that I will be loosing the locker. Other than that, does anyone see any problems with this swap? Will the Dana 44 be strong enough for the ambulance body? I will NOT be doing any four wheeling exept for the occaisional muddy road or snowy road. I also know about the modifications on the corp 14 FF for mounting.

mudman

You are just hacking it up..Why not just get something else to drive in Wyoming. I know Wyoming as I lived in Jeffrey City for a why in it's hay day.!

HoJoPo

Why not get a 700r4 instead, lower first gear and you'd have overdrive, keeping the stock 4.56 ratio and the stock axles? It would turn the 37's better than the 4.10 would at low speed.

The 700r4 with NP208 behind it will fit nicely, they were able to re-use my stock drive shafts without modification in my M1010.

BikerBi11

I do not beleive I am "hacking it up." All of the modifications I am doing can be reversed easily. I love driving my truck, and I live in the middle of nowhere. I want to be able to drive on a 65MPH two lane and not be run over by some water hauler in an 18 wheeler. The irreversable damage to the truck was done by two different citys that owned the truck before I got it.

dstang97

your not going to notice that much with that gear change. You will be down grading the front axle big time. With the 37's I can cruise 63-65 all day long with stock axles.

BikerBi11

dstang, I would just feel b etter crusing at that speed with my RPMs a little lower. I have never had my truck over 55 MPH and I felt like I was abusing the crap out of the engine. Like I said, I do not hammer on this truck, I have an 85 civi 6.2 1/2 ton lifted with 33s for the nasty stuff. By the way, what kind of milage are you geting above 60MPH?

dstang97

I dont calculate fuel mileage. If it needs fuel I put it in. Its pretty much my daily driver because i sold all of my new stuff. I hate payments. RPM;s with 37 is the same as running 55 with stock tires. Try it and see if you like it. I personally hate the 700r4 so we will leave it at that. not starting another war on here.

BikerBi11

So, no one has any ideas on the stregenth of the Dana 44? I think it should handle the weight as long as I don't go cowboy on it. I will be installing it tomorrow. Pics to come.

K9Vic

I think putting a Dana 44 in a 5/4 ton truck is not a good idea in the least. I would not risk my safety and others on a smaller axle just to short cut on swapping gears. I had a M1010 and it is a heavy truck in the front. Plus will the brakes be safe enough to stop it, or will the original brakes work?

If you want more top speed put in the 700r4 or overdrive, or add a lift with larger tires. If I get the extra cash I will either change the gears on my M1031 or a 700r4 to get more top speed.

As dstang97 said, I also just put fuel in it and drive and do not pay attention to fuel mileage in all me vehicles.

GM-M1008

a dana 44 front is equal to a gm10 bolt front which is the same axle in the m1009. So you are putting a 1/2 ton axle in the front of a 5/4 ton truck. Not only that you want to throw big tires on a ball joint axle, yes it can handle it but bigger tires are going to cause more wear and tear on a smaller axle. Keep the dana 60 at all costs!

These trucks are geared right so they are not a complete dog. Its not the fact that they are geared to low its that the truck doesn't have enough gears in the trans to keep it from running the rpms up. I would put a 4l80 trans in(it has a little computer with it) or a gear vendor(gives the 400 a overdrive) but both of those cost a little $...there is how ever the 700r4 which is cheap solution, it is a 4 spd automatic but make sure it if it is used it is out of a 87 or newer vehicle, 86 and earlier 700r4s tend to die fast.

HoJoPo

On my Jeep Wrangler (2003 Rubicon), the largest tire I would run on the upgraded Dana 44 axle (alloy USA axle shafts) would be a 37 inch, and that's in a Jeep that weighs 3000 pounds less than the M1010. And to do that (I run 35s now with 4.88 gears), I'd upgrade the brakes using the Vanco kit. Yes, the brakes and bearings are stouter on the 8 lug than on my Jeep, but....

The Dana 44 8-lug front axle was used under 3/4 ton K20 trucks with approx 6500 pound GVWR (max weight, fully loaded). The m1010 has a 7370 pound curb weight (empty) on a heavy duty K30 chassis. The Dana 60 is the correct axle for that much weight, the m1010 has a payload of up to 2080 pounds, for a 9450 lb. GVWR.

Do you have the 37's on it yet? That might be enough of an "overdrive" for the time being until you can put an NV4500 or 700r4 in it.

EDIT: The GAWR (gross axle weight rating) of the Dana 44 is 3,500 pounds maximum, depending on the application. I'm pretty sure that more than half the weight of the M1010 is on the front axle, so you'd probably be at least 500 pounds over the axle's designed maximum weight, sitting empty.

EDIT2: The GAWR is figured using the stock tires, larger tires may reduce it by putting more strain on the axle shafts and housing, due to the additional torque required to turn the tires.

Last edited:

BikerBi11

HoJoPo, that is the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you. In light of this info, I will be putting that 8 lug 44 under my 1/2 ton instead. I will get pics of the lift as I am doing it. Thanks again HoJoPo!!

HoJoPo

HoJoPo, that is the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you. In light of this info, I will be putting that 8 lug 44 under my 1/2 ton instead. I will get pics of the lift as I am doing it. Thanks again HoJoPo!!
Glad I could help, Google helped me put it together. I was curious myself, though as I've mentioned, I've already done a 700r4 swap(with matching NP208 ) on my m1010 and love it! Much quieter cruising down the road now, I'm running 235/86R16 tires on mine.

Cucvnut

Re gear the dana 60 and 14ff to 3.73 you will have to change the carriers but its worth keeping the correct axle, if you still dont want the dana 60 send it to me my jeep needs a 60.

HoJoPo

The M886 's had Dana 44 fronts
True, but their curb weight was 6116 pounds (m1010 is 1200 pounds heavier), with a GVW of 7716 , and most weight was expected to be added in the back, carrying stretchers.

Oddly, payload was listed as 1200 pounds, but the GVW is 1600 pounds higher than the curb weight. Fuel, operator or tongue (towed) weight, I wonder?

The 318 (5.2L) V8 (500 pounds) is lighter than a 6.2L (750 pounds), and there was only a single alternator / battery on the m886 since they are 12 volt. Hmm... m886 is 150 horsepower at 4000 RPM, isn't the J-code 6.2l in the CUCV good for 155 horsepower?

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front axle weight from the shipping data plate. It's 150# more than the M1008. Under moderate use I wouldn't have a problem with the Dana 44 but the brakes aren't as good as the Dana 60. My burb weighs 6600# and has an 8 lug 10 bolt and works fine, granted I don't beat the snot out of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

rickf

Bill, I will go to bat for you. While I do agree with everyone about it being a downgrade it will be plenty strong as long as you do not overload it. Ford and Chevy both used the Dana 44 as a front in 3/4 ton applications at one time or another. I had one in a Ford 250 That had 40's on it and I showed it very little mercy. The main problem I had was wiping out spindles from water intrusion. I did eventually bend the housing but I had a bug block hammering on it. I used to own a 4X4 shop and I built many of these truck and although I closed that shop 25 years ago some of those trucks are still running today. My advise would be to use all new wheel bearings and races and make sure the spindles are good. Set your preloads just right on the wheel bearings and you will be good for many, many miles. Do not let anyone talk you out of the 60 you are taking out! You may want to put it back someday.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks