• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 6453 question.

Crazy

Spicer 6453 question.

I have an unusual question. I have one of these transmissions coming. I would like to install this in my 1995 International 3800 school bus. It has the incredibly wonderful P.O.S. Allison AT545 transmission behind a DT408. I have been reading many posts on this site and the members appear to be much more mechanically inclined than many other sites. I know my bus is not a MV but the trans is from a MV. Both the engine and the transmission have a SAE #2 housing. How difficult would this project be? Any input would be appreciated.

A picture of my ride.

DSCN0990.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its a Spicer not Dana. That should help in some of your searches. I think it would be a plus for the bus.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simplest would be to find a International medium with the same engine and a manual trans and swap all components across including the bellhousing.

Crazy

Simplest would be to find a International medium with the same engine and a manual trans and swap all components across including the bellhousing.
Yes, but that would be the easy way...and sane way...I would have to change my user ID.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When your looking for information, having good terminology aids in finding what your seeking. I was just trying to help him find what he was looking for.

NovacaineFix

When your looking for information, having good terminology aids in finding what your seeking. I was just trying to help him find what he was looking for.
That makes perfect sense, especially when most everything you search for online is keyword based. I was just wondering if there was any difference, 'cause in my manual, it calls the tranny a Dana 6453, but it does have Spicer cast right on the side of it. I guess it like saying Chevy vs. GM.

Jeepsinker

You'll need a flywheel from a standard transmission version of your engine, and a pressure plate and clutch disk from a 5 ton. I don't know if a flywheel from a 5 ton multifuel of NHC 250 will bolt directly to your engine, but I doubt it. You will have to get a flywheel made for your engine, and you'll likely have to drill and tap new holes to bolt the 5 ton pressure plate to it. You'll also have to figure out the pilot bushing. The bushing for a 5 ton may work, but likely you will have to have one machined to fit. Good luck, and let us know how it goes with your short bus. Any plans to paint it green?

Crazy

I haven't been here for a while. I have purchased a AT1545P that I think I will be using. As far as I can tell, it is the exact same size as the AT545 that I have but has a lock up converter. Thanks for the input received.

Crazy

Lockup is only going to drop you a couple hundred rpm vs direct drive non lockup. It is better, but still won't compare to the 3053a with the waterloo kit.
Yes, but I already have the AT1545. I would love an overdrive. There is only so much I can do and I will take that couple hundred rpm. Next step will be going from 9R22.5 tires to 11R22.5 tires. That should give me another couple hundred and last would be a rearend change from 4.78 to something like 4.44. All of these steps would be easier for me than trying to get a manual installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks