• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash Panel LED Bulbs

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Just wondering if anyone has tried these bulbs in the dash of their M35, M800s etc. vehicles. I am thinking about buying some to check them out. My only concern is will they put out the correct illumination required to illuminate the gages. I suspect they will work well for the high beam, front axle indicators however.

http://price.ledtronics.com/ds/Log-176-200/199_Smart-B321-XIW-Bulb/B320-XIW.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have some here somewhere. I got them in an M113 dash that I bought, you are correct, they work best for the indicators, not so much for the side lighted gauges. Mine say 24v, not 48v, but look the same and are made by that company.

Jakelc15

I have used some led lamps on some of my non mv's. Mainly to change the color. They are bright. I plan to use them in my trucks too but none have burned out! You can get some good deals on amazon.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
TKS gimp. I like the 6-48 VDC with no other mods needed to use the bulb. It would solve a lot of potential problems down the road. I have tried using some regular bulbs for the gages with a higher CP (wattage) but they run way to hot and so do a number on the inside of the plastic lens

Last edited:

KsM715

I tried to look elsewhereon that site but it askedfor a login. Do they make bulbs that would fit into the taillight sockets? I would love to find some replacements for just the bulbs without buying the exspensive LED taillights so I can run my M101 unmodified behind either my MV or my civy Jeep.

gimpyrobb

Mac, have you tried pulling the gauge itself and cleaning the clear ports that let light through? It made a huge difference on my truck. I also tried the bulbs that have a longer filament that Bjorn mentioned in one of his "tinkering" posts. Then there is the "drill a hole in the lens/cap" trick to let more light into the gauges. I know YOU are familiar with those tricks, but i wanted to post it for the newer guys to try.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
TKS gimp again. I have tried all your tricks and yes most all the gages have the ports dirty and it makes one heck of a difference when you clean them. One real problem is that more of the ports need another light source coming in from more than one angle. I guess one could make a string of single LEDs and silicone them to all the ports on all the gages. That way you could select from the many colors available for the little single LEDs, Naw...that is to much like monkey business.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
That bulb Jakelc15 looks like a better choice for the dash gages light. I found one on Ebay that is about half the price of that one for the indicator lens. Its focus is mostly to the front not the sides as the one you posted is.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mac, have you tried pulling the gauge itself and cleaning the clear ports that let light through? It made a huge difference on my truck. I also tried the bulbs that have a longer filament that Bjorn mentioned in one of his "tinkering" posts. Then there is the "drill a hole in the lens/cap" trick to let more light into the gauges. I know YOU are familiar with those tricks, but i wanted to post it for the newer guys to try.
...also tried the LED strip, but found it too intense and removed it.

Another option is an external light source, circled in the image below.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

I wonder if you mounted those "external light sources" behind the panel, if that would help. They kinda look like small license plate light holders.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if you mounted those "external light sources" behind the panel, if that would help. They kinda look like small license plate light holders.
Kinda like the external mount, shows the whole panel , switches legends etc...It's turned on with a toggle switch only when needed.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Are you sure about that part number? It didn't turn up anything on the LEDtronics site.
Yes that was a good number as I have it also. The part number is listed in the M35A3 parts manual. I think the mfg does not list Military Spec numbers on his site. I tried a couple other good mil spec numbers and they did not show up either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks