• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Data plate restoration

Nick

I checked the simiar thread listing, and I noticed its been said before to just get new data plates instead of trying to repaint older ones. Mine is still legible, but its got some serious what looks and seems like hard water, or calcium on it. The problem is, no one has just plain M101 plates. They are all M101A1, 2 etc

I tried soaking in vinegar, bathroom limescale and rust remover, all that. It worked, well, ok, but not great. And the paint was somewhat removed when i tried using a light rubbing of very fine steel wool.

If i could find an M101 plate, how do ya go about getting all the old data on the new plate?

I would also really entertain suggestions on restoring this plate, since it has all the info on it, and the good ol' reason, "Its original". Is there someone that restores them?

Thanks
Nick

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
www.MVdataplates.com has the standard M101 plates. I wonder if you could just take them to a local trophy/awards place and have a new plate made from an example? Wonder how they do it?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
but its got some serious what looks and seems like hard water, or calcium on it
Dissimilar metal corrosion , Trailer Steel , data plate aluminum leave a little space for water to get between them, Fe+Al+H2o+O2 = corrosion.

Nick

I compared mvdataplates.com to mine, and they arent the same. Mine seems to be older than the style he has. I emailed him to see if they can restore mine.

The corrosion is on the front, not the back, so I dont its a reaction..

Nick

wdbtchr

Don't want to hijack the thread, but on the subject of data plates does anyone have an idea of what you can do when the data plate is gone. Not a military trailer although I bought it at a GSA auction the same time I got my M37. In spite of my feeble attempts to make it look military in restoration, I've had not had any luck finding anything other than it's a two axle Totem built in 1967 according to the title.

Any suggestions than taking pictures of it to every trailer place I come across? I would have posted the pictures I have, but my scanner isn't working and I'm not smart enough to get it to work.:roll: Gotta wait till my son comes over and puts the wheels back on my scanner.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I compared mvdataplates.com to mine, and they arent the same. Mine seems to be older than the style he has. I emailed him to see if they can restore mine.
Nick
I emailed him about duplicating my M48 plate. He said depending on how complex it is, it would be between 100 and 200 dollars to create one he does not have.

Nick

I emailed him about duplicating my M48 plate. He said depending on how complex it is, it would be between 100 and 200 dollars to create one he does not have.
I wonder if it would be cheaper to do mine since its close to what he already has?? Im still waitin to hear back from him. I sent him the same pics I posted here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks