• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DCA4 Additive

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Want to add some dca4 fleetguard to bring the charge up on my truck. is it recommended to drop some gallons and then put back into the coolant reservoir or can I just pour the pint of dca4 in the coolant reservoir and let it mix for a maintenance charge.

Thanks

red

Technically better to drain a few gallons of coolant, pour the additive into the reservoir, then pour the coolant back in. Forces it to mix and also lets you remove any contaminants sitting at the bottom of the radiator.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did you actually get the lil dip strips and check to see if your truck actually needed any?

Napa #4107 for the strips
Napa # HD20016 for the additive

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^^ THIS. If you over concentrate the sca's you can cause continuing issues with the cooling system, multiple w/p failures, plugged oil cooler, radiator and aftercooler...if it has one, heater core, overheat issues.

It makes the inside of the engine a mess. I have seen the block coolant passages totally plugged by over concentration. If there is a "filter" on the engine, it ISN'T. It is a corrosion inhibitor. There are sca charge pellets/blocks inside the housing that release over time. This "filter" only needs service when the testing shows that the cooling system is in need of more sca. The only time I have seen liner pitting issues in these engines is when they are used in water trucks, when the coolant gets low, they just add nasty fire hydrant water, and trash trucks, because those companies have the worlds worst maintenance.

The mid stop linered engines, like the C in the 5 tons, honestly do not need a corrosion inhibitor. The way the liner is designed, it is spun steel, is supported mid level and barrel machined, doesn't have the same movement/resonance during the compression/firing cycle so it is way less susceptible to pitting/electrolysis that a cast/ top stop liner like the NHC and some of the CAT engines have. Cummins has even stopped installing corrosion inhibitors on the C and L series engines. They have not been installed since around 1998-99 when the CAPS C and L were introduced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks