• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce axle load rating

oilcan

I've been doing research to set up for a little multiple-truck piggyback towing with the 818 in the lead of two deuces. One tractor and one tanker.

I found the curb weights, and the weight that sits on the front axle, and both rears for each truck.

For an M275A2 wow, the weight at the front axle is supposed to be 5905#, and the rears 6220#.
The M49A2C wow weighs 5765# up front, and 8575# out back.

My question is since the combined weight that'll be resting on the rear tires of the M275 will be roughly 11,985, can I still chain up the front tandem (interaxle) of that truck? I have a limited number of good tires, so keeping a few off the ground for spares seems like a good idea. Plus, keeping the rears higher will help keep all my angles under control. Also since the trucks will be tilted nose-up, that'll shift some of the weight of both trucks to the rear. I'm not real good with math, so the actual number is up in the air.

One more thing I need to find out is the max articulation of the M275A2 5th wheel. Specifically, how far it will tilt forward.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam, I guess I need to get you the specs of my device, sorry, been busy. While I don't know the actual axle rating, I'm pretty certain that the housing itself can handle that weight and more judging by some of the abuse I see these truck endure. The one thing to consider is that when the fwd rear drive axle is lifted, it increases the weight on the front axle as well. From my experience; The trucks don't like both rear axles on the ground and the driveshaft spinning at the same time. I tried this and pitched the inter axle driveshaft. Another point, when I brought my wrecker home, I didn't chain up the fwd rear drive axle because of weight considerations. Turns out the aft axle was against the bump stops and carried nearly all the weight anyways. Upon arrival home the fwd rear tires wer all but cold to the touch and the aft tires hot. As I think of more I'll let you know. Oh, the 5th wheel tilts to the front much more than to the rear!

Attachments

Nonotagain

The way see it is that you have two choices, pull the axle shafts or pull the drive shafts.

When I did heavy duty towing, unless the tow was less than 10 miles, either the axle or drive shaft were removed.

Air the tires to the maximum pressure and travel during low travel times keeping your speeds below 45 mph.

oilcan

Adam, I guess I need to get you the specs of my device, sorry, been busy. While I don't know the actual axle rating, I'm pretty certain that the housing itself can handle that weight and more judging by some of the abuse I see these truck endure. The one thing to consider is that when the fwd rear drive axle is lifted, it increases the weight on the front axle as well. From my experience; The trucks don't like both rear axles on the ground and the driveshaft spinning at the same time. I tried this and pitched the inter axle driveshaft. Another point, when I brought my wrecker home, I didn't chain up the fwd rear drive axle because of weight considerations. Turns out the aft axle was against the bump stops and carried nearly all the weight anyways. Upon arrival home the fwd rear tires wer all but cold to the touch and the aft tires hot. As I think of more I'll let you know. Oh, the 5th wheel tilts to the front much more than to the rear!
No hurry on the measurements.
I've been downloading all the manuals again since I can't find my M44 manuals right now. Once I get that done, I still have to find the information... Guess I need more practice with that!

Good point on adding weight to the front when the interaxle is lifted. That might offset some of what shifts to the rear when the whole thing gets tilted 10 to 20°. (?) I'm certainly leaning toward chaining up the axle(s), but I sure would like to know what these rockwells are rated for individually. I planned to pull the axleshafts for this trip. It's not just around the block, ya' know!

If I can't find it in the manuals, I'll go to the mine and try to measure the 5th wheel's angles. I wish I had one of those groovy magnetic angle finders, but all I have is a speed square!

Ooh, another question.
Which airpack controls the rear brakes on an air force truck with the dual circuit brake system?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooh, another question.
Which airpack controls the rear brakes on an air force truck with the dual circuit brake system?
You had to throw that question out to make me look like an idiot. I just don't remember!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks