• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce door window installation; any tips?

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll preface this by saying I feel like an idiot for even having to post this. But...

Gutted my deuce doors, cleaned and greased the door handles/latches and window regulators, plus replaced all window channels and the felt wiper. So reinstalling the window should just be a reverse of the procedure, right?

Except the dang windows keep catching on the new wipers. I can get the slot tracks on the bottom frames past the wiper, but then the wiper lip catches under the rest of the window bottom frame so the window just "sits" on it. Trying to force it seems like it'll just rip the tabs off the wiper.

Tried the old school trick of using a string to slowly pull the wiper lip from under the window frame. And ended up slicing the wiper :rolleyes:

So while I'm waiting on the new ones to come in, thought I'd ask here. Anybody had this problem before? What's the best way to get the window past the wiper? I have a feeling it's something simple that'll make me want to bang my head in disbelief I didn't figure it out.

BTW, it's not a problem with the tracks being bent, etc. The window drops right in with the wiper out. Of course, no room to install the wiper then.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, I riveted the wiper track to the door similar to the original ones, but the regular pop rivet heads protruded too far and caught the edge of the window. A grinder t the rivets solved that.

Last edited:

Gypsyman

May sound stupid but a thin piece of cardboard might allow you to pull up as the window goes down and pop the wiper lip up and out of the way. I have this task coming up and I was thinking about a heavy piece of plastic, piece of an old tarp, or even a garbage bag might work. A heavy black contractors garbage bag should be strong enough to pull up on and keep the wiper out of the way as the window start it's travel down into the track.

Richard

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@cattlerepairman , I riveted in the side tracks like they were originally, but the wipers that run along the window class have metal clips that snap into the door.

@Gypsyman, I actually tried some heavy plastic, but it didn't work so great. It was thick plastic, heavier than a contractor bag (I think it was ground cover for flower beds). The cardboard might be an idea though. Worth a shot.

Gypsyman

There is another trick that I have used on older vehicles with inverted wipers using a wire coat hanger "spoon". Bend the coat hanger into the shape shown below.

With the window slightly angled so that it is only contacting a small section of the wiper at one end insert the spoon in the slot between the wiper and the window frame and slide it down to your first contact point. Use the spoon to pry the wiper back as the frame drops in on one end. Continue to work the rubber out as the window slides in at an angle. This way you are only fighting a small section of the wiper at a time. The round shape protects the wiper and the coat hanger wires strength allows you to apply a fair bit of force to the rubber lip without damage. Hard to explain, easy to do when you see it.

You could practice on the damaged seal before your replacement arrives.

The seal spoon shown below is out of much lighter wire but it was all I had on hand for a quick sample photo of the shape.

Seal Spoon.JPG

Gypsyman

You bet. For all I know we may both be way off. Knowing military vehicles it wouldn't surprise me if the correct method is to just jam the window down past the wiper and it pops up into the correct position when the window is rolled up. =)

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll preface this by saying I feel like an idiot for even having to post this. But...

Gutted my deuce doors, cleaned and greased the door handles/latches and window regulators, plus replaced all window channels and the felt wiper. So reinstalling the window should just be a reverse of the procedure, right?

Except the dang windows keep catching on the new wipers. I can get the slot tracks on the bottom frames past the wiper, but then the wiper lip catches under the rest of the window bottom frame so the window just "sits" on it. Trying to force it seems like it'll just rip the tabs off the wiper.

Tried the old school trick of using a string to slowly pull the wiper lip from under the window frame. And ended up slicing the wiper :rolleyes:

So while I'm waiting on the new ones to come in, thought I'd ask here. Anybody had this problem before? What's the best way to get the window past the wiper? I have a feeling it's something simple that'll make me want to bang my head in disbelief I didn't figure it out.

BTW, it's not a problem with the tracks being bent, etc. The window drops right in with the wiper out. Of course, no room to install the wiper then.
I used a piece of sheet metal.

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@ldmack3, did you use a piece that stretched the length of the wiper, or make a thinner piece more along the lines of a tire spoon or the coat hanger spoon gypsyman mentioned earlier?

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the way. Only did this twice so don’t claim to be an expert. From what recall I put it in first and leaned it out to get the window bottom past it then pulled it out.

runk

It been long enough since I did this, that this may be a memory from a different window seal replacement...
But, I think I dropped the window assembly far enough down into the door to clear where the seal needed to mount.
(possibly after loosening the regulator and/or tracks)
Installed the seals, then just pushed the window glass up through the seals and adjusted/installed the tracks/regulator.

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Success! Figured I'd share what worked for me since I hate threads that end with no solution...

I had some excess ABS plastic sheeting I used a while back to make a cover for the firewall hole around the steering column. One leftover piece was maybe 12x4, so I sanded the cut edge down to make sure it wouldn't cut the felt/rubber on the wiper.

Seated the window in the side tracks and got the ABS inserted in the rear edge of the wiper. I found it was easier to tilt the window lower on the back edge, higher on the front (hinge side). Starting from the back, I had my wife gradually lower the window while I ran the ABS plastic along the window frame kinda like a tire spoon. One trip to get past the slot tracks, another to get past the bottom edge of the frame itself. On one window I made a third pass because the lip caught on the glass side of the top frame edge.

It was easier to leave the ABS in place, just sliding it back and forth rather than take it out and get it placed between the wiper and glass again. Anyhow, We practiced with the old torn up wiper. Took us about 5 minutes to figure out the best method. Once I clipped the new wipers in, we had both windows is in under 5 minutes total. Helps having a second pair of hands on the job.

I had a 2 inch wide paint scraper that I think would have worked too, but I liked the ABS being easier on the newly painted frames, and less chance to screw up the glass somehow. Plus the ABS had a slick side I turned toward the felt so it moved easily. BTW, this is the ABS pieces I had cut down: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UBUX5C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I actually tried putting the window in first like mentioned a couple of posts up. But due to the length of the clips on the back of the wiper, I couldn't make it work. Just not enough space between the glass and the door frame.

Anyhow, I'm sure it's not the only way, but it worked, and made a quick job of it.

ToddJK

Success! Figured I'd share what worked for me since I hate threads that end with no solution...

I had some excess ABS plastic sheeting I used a while back to make a cover for the firewall hole around the steering column. One leftover piece was maybe 12x4, so I sanded the cut edge down to make sure it wouldn't cut the felt/rubber on the wiper.

Seated the window in the side tracks and got the ABS inserted in the rear edge of the wiper. I found it was easier to tilt the window lower on the back edge, higher on the front (hinge side). Starting from the back, I had my wife gradually lower the window while I ran the ABS plastic along the window frame kinda like a tire spoon. One trip to get past the slot tracks, another to get past the bottom edge of the frame itself. On one window I made a third pass because the lip caught on the glass side of the top frame edge.

It was easier to leave the ABS in place, just sliding it back and forth rather than take it out and get it placed between the wiper and glass again. Anyhow, We practiced with the old torn up wiper. Took us about 5 minutes to figure out the best method. Once I clipped the new wipers in, we had both windows is in under 5 minutes total. Helps having a second pair of hands on the job.

I had a 2 inch wide paint scraper that I think would have worked too, but I liked the ABS being easier on the newly painted frames, and less chance to screw up the glass somehow. Plus the ABS had a slick side I turned toward the felt so it moved easily. BTW, this is the ABS pieces I had cut down: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UBUX5C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I actually tried putting the window in first like mentioned a couple of posts up. But due to the length of the clips on the back of the wiper, I couldn't make it work. Just not enough space between the glass and the door frame.

Anyhow, I'm sure it's not the only way, but it worked, and made a quick job of it.
Thanks for the follow up! Now, can you uninstall it and re-do it with pictures?🤣

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks