• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Forum = A Joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottleworks

There is now more "Stickys" at the top then there are active topics. How about consolidating some and thin out the unneeded ones.

The noobs need to learn how to search. They shouldn't need to be hand fed.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't get it..... I must be slow because the number of theads is sure showing that this is a place where brand new privates can get OJT and Motor Officers can get after that hard to fix problem. If you want a real joke, B Hussain Obama and Joe the rag man now that is funny.

wsucougarx

bottleworks said:
There is now more "Stickys" at the top then there are active topics. How about consolidating some and thin out the unneeded ones.

The noobs need to learn how to search. They shouldn't need to be hand fed.
I'm not sure where you are coming from. I don't know about you but I am in here to help out others and hopefully get help from others as well. I don't know I think it is something called "TEAMWORK!!!" I do agree that so called noobs (remember we were there and some are there, no need to belittle anyone) need to search but honestly if you are so new at something how are you going to search for something that you have no idea what you are looking for? Let it be know, I along with several in this forum are here to help each other out. Who cares about all the stickys? Just because you have the knowledge base and don't need them others do. I certainly do appreciate the stickys and don't believe it is a joke. Anyways, lets not be donkeys and just have fun w/OD Fever

saddamsnightmare

RE: Re: Deuce Forum = A Joke!

September 5th, 2008. :popcorn:

Dear Bottleworks:

You do seem to be off your feed today, a mite cross for a man who can walk on water by himself..... I suspect you have been a NOB yourself in many things at many times, and your debt to your peers and your superiours must be considerable. AND I will sooner or later place money on it that some deuce is going to come up with a problem you won't be able to figure out...... at which point you may not want to burn ALL your bridges.
I have time for those who know perhaps a bit less then I do, and I am always appreciative for the many kindnesses and insights others have provided me here on the deuce. Mr. Will Wagner, among others, along with David Doyle, Recovery4x4, and his eminence, Medlog the Magnificent from the hollers of Hedgesville, have all bailed my butt out many times. If you can't be patient and pass the screwdriver, so to speak, you may need a wrench to tight a few nuts up yourself. We all don't know as much as we think, and we always will need someone else's help sooner or later, so you may want to keep at least 6 friends handy, as it hard as hades to carry yourself to the cemetary when the time comes....
I for one, don't always find the search feature very usefull, but then I am the generation who grew up with or before the common computer, and so it is not as important or useful as say David Doyle, Will Wagner, Kenny, or Medlog, and I can count them, however so distant they may be, as my human friends.....
If you're having an off day, you're forgiven, if your PMS is acting up, you're forgiven, BUT if you must continue to run down the other members, old or new, you may wish to retire to your cave or monastic cell, untill the mood passes......

Just my 2cents worth,

I remain,
Estimable Sir,
Kyle F. McGrogan

Wizard Par Excellance, Per Ardua Ad Astra

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Truck
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A APU gas Gen-set
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB :beer:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If people on this site had taken that attitude with me when I joined I might not have two trucks and four trailers and might not have met the great group of guys driving Bill's trucks up to Michigan.

Maybe because I felt like part of the team on this site is why I spent a lot of time earlier this week helping out a new guy figure out what kind of truck would be a good first truck.

I don't get the chance to tell people to pound sand at work but I do get the chance to give them guidance and point them in the right direction.

If we want our hobby to grow and continue to be successful I believe we have to work together. Maybe that's just me but I'll bet there a lot of people on this site who have a similar opinion.

steve

poppop

This is just my opinion and not worth the paper it is written on but, Personallly I miss the conversations explaining things to people with questions. I spend far less time checking the site now than I did two years ago. Why is that?? Quite a bit of the time when someone new asks a question the reply is do a search, it has been talked about. This Country was talked about 200 years ago, but that does not mean we should not talk about it again today with politics the way they are. Sure, the manual was written when the USA was founded, but it needs to be read and discussed even today. The Constitution could be considered a stickey, but if it were not there, or ignored, how long would it take for this Great Country to digress to a much lesser state. There is a vast cauch of knowledge here on this site, and I guess I just hate to see it not used. Now I understand someone not wanting to repeat a lenghty post explaining something to someone, but they could reference the orginal post. I am computor illiterate and the search function does not work good for me. I have even tried to find some of my own stuff and could not. I guess what I have on my mind is like a school teacher, each year he or she has a new charge of students. They teach the same thing over and over again, because they have new minds wanting the knowledge. Just because it was discussed last year does not mean it should not discussed and debated again. OK, I step down from my box, I guess I got carried away and my apoligies to anyone who draws offense at what I had to say. As I stated, just my 2 cents worth.

appnut1

I beleive it is often the "human" touch albeit in a virtual sense that is more satisfying then just getting the machine to regurgatate (spelling) old data. We all come looking for that from time to time. Just knowing we are not alone or suffering something that no one else has ever had to endure before can motivate and sooth a restless soul. Sorry to be so touchy feely but sometimes it just needs to be said. As long as we all remember we are "in this together" the better all our lots in life will be.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
this site is all about everybody, both the new as well as the old . i still have a he/ll of a time with some searches. even if someone found what they wanted in the search, it still help if someone chimes in with some first hand knowledge. everybody here has learned from somebody else, that is part that makes this site GREAT, part of the fellowship. if that stops and just search then this site will turn to sh/it and go down the toilet. people here cant wait to lend a helping hand. yes search helps, so does one on one, though on this site it is more like five helping one

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Relatively speaking, I am a noob here. Granted, this is my own fault, for years ago when SteelSoldiers and I were in the same local MVPA group, and he excitedly told us about this wondeful idea he had for a web forum called "Steel Soldiers", I barely knew how to turn the computer on.

Time passed by, with Chris continuing to extend the invitation, and my declining because of work or home pressures, or my lagging computer knowledge....until finally a couple of years ago I caved in. Hence, compared to most on the site - I am a noob.

And, as a rule, I cannot find anything with the search function - this may be a function of AOL and the site, or my own computer illiteracy. So, when I KNOW something has been discussed before, I ask Clinto, Mike or Kenny to point me to it - which they unfailingly and selflessly do. If I don't know its been discussed, I don't even ask, nor do I try to search - it is simply too frustrating and time consuming for me.

On the other hand, as I recall one of the stickys is a lengthy posting by me as to the origins of semi-gloss paint. This topic seems to come up often, and the complete (and hopefully correct) answer is somewat long winded. Were I on the site 24/7 I would soon tire of typing it over and over again....and frankly most people who try to answer this in print or on the web get it wrong. So, this sticky definately saves me a lot of redundant work - and hopefully provides a one-stop shop for the right answer for noob and veteran alike.

I 100% believe everyone owning a HMV should read and be familiar with the operators manual - but unfortuantely that is not reality, and giving the canned answer of "look it up" or "perform a search" can lead to frustration (witness me and my search troubles), with possibly life-threatening consequences.

So, while to some of the old hands on the site, having to scroll past the stickys may be bothersome, to us noobs it sure is handy.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Westech

CPL
heck I have been on here for years and always find something handy in the "stickys"
A joke would not using all the info on this site, I kow I would be lost from time to time with out my SS brothers (and sisters too)

Engine5

piss poor

Gee I wonder if that is an attitude that I can take with me on the fire Dept. When a "noob" comes up to me and ask's about the warning signs of a flashover or back draft.
Or the fastest way to cut open a certain type of vehicle to rescue a 2 year old kid that is trapped inside, or the best way to get across broken ice to get someone out of freezing water, should I tell him to do a search and get back to me later.
I am new to this site, and I have to tell you that I learned a hell of a lot more by asking questions from the guys here who have knowledge that I dont.
Someday I hope that like you I can have all the answers and will not have to ask for help. I cant wait for that day. Until then I will ask questions from the guys who know and are eager to educate those who do not know.

Jones

RE: piss poor

You keep asking; I'll keep 'splaining.
An old timer once told me the only stupid questions were the ones that didn't get asked.
Share the knowledge and experiences; I think the more people who have answers, the more chances you have of getting a problem solved.
Search is great-- IF you know it's there and how to work it.

poppop

Right on David!! I have not met you personally but take great pride in telling people that I know David Doyle. And Ron, I do know you personally and am proud to consider you a friend. This can be said for a great number of long term Members of SS. We have met at Rally's, or you came to my farm for a visit, or you gave me a part, or I gave you a part. I guess what I am saying is I know the core group of SS"ers personally, and a finer group of people and AMERCIANS have never been assembled before not counting the armed forces. This is a group of people that can be relied on in the time of need. If you break down traveling across country An SS'er will come to your rescue. If you are trapped in NO after Kartina Sarge will bring you supplies, and then work tirelessly to help any he can until some crooks steal his meds and put his out of businness. In Sarges last aventure he broke down 1000 miles from home, and A member of SS drove that 1000 miles one way to bring him home. I consider SS a great family, lets not rob the newcomers the oppertunity to get to know us on a personal basis. The day may come when we need a group of friends such as this to servive. Its nice to know they are there if we need them.

CGarbee

DDoyle said:
On the other hand, as I recall one of the stickys is a lengthy posting by me as to the origins of semi-gloss paint. This topic seems to come up often, and the complete (and hopefully correct) answer is somewat long winded. Were I on the site 24/7 I would soon tire of typing it over and over again....and frankly most people who try to answer this in print or on the web get it wrong. So, this sticky definately saves me a lot of redundant work - and hopefully provides a one-stop shop for the right answer for noob and veteran alike.
Interstingly enough, I have linked to that very post about six times in the last month while trying to explain to folks on other sites (with a note telling folks that they should also join here) why their truck just doesn't look "right"... :)
Having it as a sticky not only helps those directly here, but elsewhere, and also helps as a recruitment tool for this site. :)

Not wanting to retype the same answer over and over (in my case as email replies) is what led me to set up a website on my M37... I still find myself posting more and more about them as I am learning more and more every day, and I'll get it consolidated and added to the site at some point.... Sometimes in the rehash, a detail that was forgotten is remembered, or a newbie brings up a point that the rest of us had forgotten, or never noticed...

Unless I'm starting a new thread, I rarely actually go to a forum directly anyway. I use the "new posts since last visits" to see what is new and select my reading from that, and use either the search function or my memory of the sticky's location when trying to find something old for reference...

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm gonna agree with Bottleworks. It is ridiculous to have Sticky's outnumber the regular threads on the page. And monitor resolution doesn't matter. I don't spend a lot of time in the deuce forum, since I don't currently own one, but it is annoying.

If these threads are all so desired as regular reading material, then create a "Critical Deuce Info" or some such forum area and move them there.

mangus580

Quite frankly... I agree.

I now nominate Bottleworks to create a 'Deuce FAQ' post, that can be made a sticky. In this post, he can reference all the current stickies, (as well as other 'FAQ' type material).

For an example of what I am talking about.... see here

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53309

I also suggest maybe it get done with each forum. I have been wanting to do something similar for some time, but just havent found the time.

tjcouch

OK - my thoughts . . . . for whatever they are worth.

1. From what I can tell, there are little or no "trolls" on this site, which is to say everyone here with a login has a vested interest in the operation, ownership, restoration or ownership of MVs. I can't recall anyone coming on the site to say "You all are destroying the environment by driving inefficient vehicles," etc. Therefore - we are all of like mind - and as such are intrinsically entitled to initial respect until behavior indicates otherwise.

2. There are sages on this board - their knowledge is invaluable.

3. I am a very accomplished researcher, particularly online. HOWEVER there have been times where I needed an answer, but I did not know what the QUESTION was. I hope that makes sense. If you have read The Hitchhikers Guide you know where I am coming from. So what does that mean? It means that a "Use the search function" response to a question may be useless. The person who asked may have searched but was unable to find the answer. If a repeated question vexes you - IGNORE IT and move on!

I am a "fixture" in a Jeep website here in Tampa and many "noobs" ask the same questions over and over again - I NEVER belittle them or the website, but instead use my searching skills to find the thread that answers their question and post the corresponding link.

4. Personally I find the links to the TMs on this site impossible. I have spent A LOT of effort searching and downloading the TMs in the "Resource" section to find what I am looking for . . . . I always appreciate a DIRECT LINK to the TM from another member that answers the question. A "see the - 30" post is really useless. If you know what a "-30 TM" is, you really do not need to read it. That is really my only suggestion for improvement . . . . . maybe cluster the TM that are the "must reads" into a special compendium?

Finally - I will say that 98% of what I know of MVs is a result of this forum and those "fixtures" of the site that truly care about the mutual passion we share. And for that I thank each and every one of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks