• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Fuel Mileage On Alternative Fuel

Today I did my report for my fuel blenders tax.

I took the info over the last year to figure my actual fuel millage.

I run 100% used oil, Mostly in the 5-30 range with a little trans fluid from the occasional transmission flush.

My mileage came out to 7.88 miles to the gallon. Seems a little low but I do push a lot of wind at highway speed with the camper. I will cruse at 52 mph if there is traffic. 50 mph if there is none.

If you could be so kind as to list your fuel blend and miles per gallon for comparison.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been running about 90% ATF and the balance in Diesel Fuel. I just went through a full tank this past week and it averaged out to be 9.43 MPG.

If my info is correct the ATF has a tad bit higher BTU rating over UMO. :shock:

Flyingvan911

Milage seems to go down a little with WMO. That is the trend I've seen from other posts on here. I haven't tried WMO yet due to not having a suitable filter set up.

Though I was not able to calculate my milage on my drive home with my 72 KJ M35A2, when I stopped to see an old buddy from my old neighborhood about 100 miles from home, we went through his garage and collected everything he had that could be poured in my tank. After mixing some gasoline with a half-gallon of WMO to thin it up and straining it into the tank, we also poured in 4 quarts of fresh new ATF (in old dusty bottles), 2 quarts of 2-stroke oil, 1/2-gallon of clear lamp oil (kerosene), stabbed and drained 2 partial cans of WD40 (kerosene and bananna oil), a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil (dunno what's in it as it's a mystery) and 1/2-gallon of gasoline (86 octane) I saw a noticable increase in torque and bottom end power.
:driver:

Josh

I've got through aprox 1400 gallons of WMO in my deuce. I tend to get about 9-10 empty and 6-9I towing my cruiser. I always measure out the WMO as it goes in and hand calculate it. I keep a tab of pump fuels that goes in also.

tiny110

Banned
I haven't done any calculations on my mileage but. I can tell you for my deuce the motor oil seems to burn cooler. Keeping the egs down. And I don't notice any difference between running straight use motor oil and straight diesel. It does seem to me like burning used motor oil the fuel last longer. But maybe that's just that I'm not worried about burning used motor oil like I am diesel. When I run diesel I'm worried about all the money I'm burning. Lol

I haven't done any calculations on my mileage but. I can tell you for my deuce the motor oil seems to burn cooler. Keeping the egs down. And I don't notice any difference between running straight use motor oil and straight diesel. It does seem to me like burning used motor oil the fuel last longer. But maybe that's just that I'm not worried about burning used motor oil like I am diesel. When I run diesel I'm worried about all the money I'm burning. Lol
That's interesting! Lower EGTs with oil over pump diesel. Hey Don, do you have a pyrometer in your truck? If so, do you see any difference in EGT running ATF compared to diesel #2?
Now ya'll done got my curiosity up! :mrgreen:

Beyond Biodiesel

My 1969 M756A2 non-turbo gets about 7.5 MPG on the highway on pump diesel. I have not run it on alternative diesel fuels yet, but I plan to soon.

The reason why people get less mpg on oils, such as WMO, is because they do not burn as efficiently as diesel fuel, even though they have more BTUs per unit volume. Also, WMO will have more BTUs per unit volume than ATF, because WMO is more viscous/dense. This also explains why the EGTs when running WMO at 100% are lower than they are with 100% pump diesel fuel.

However, as noted above, when gasoline is blended with waste oils, then there is more power and better MPG observed, even though gasoline has less BTUs per unit volume than WATF, or WMO; nonetheless, gasoline appears to help the waste oil burn better in any diesel engine. This is why I blend gasoline with waste oils in my diesel engines, and I plan to do so in my deuce.

iatractor

My truck averages about 8-9 mpg on wmo. Straight wvo, 9. Most of the time I have a wvo/gas blend mixed with wmo and it is in the same ballpark.

Where and how do you collect wmo? This is one of the major questions I have about using it.
I own a repair shop so I generate a steady stream from oil changes.
It is getting harder to find free sources as the recycle company's are now paying to take your used oil.
Some shops will sell it to you for around the same price they are paid. Last time I checked it was about .75 a gallon but that was a long time ago.

Beyond Biodiesel

Where and how do you collect wmo? This is one of the major questions I have about using it.
Finding sources of waste oils can be difficult. I happen to have an abundance of WVO available to me, so I do not even collect WMO, and I have small shops wanting to give it to me all of the time. So, look around where you live. I find it works best if you check in with the small shops, or small construction companies that service their own fleet. Also, stale gasoline is available at boat yards, small engine repair shops, and stale jet fuel is available at municipal airports.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks