• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Halogen Headlight Upgrade

gungearz

Are you interested in the halogen headlight upgrade for your Deuce...? Well, you should be... it's a great upgrade at a down to earth price.... and it has a few overall benefits. Bulbs are easy to replace, cheaper and easy to find, the lighting is also greater and you could get brighter bulbs if your not satisfied...

I've been hearing story's from my fellow MV buddies about these 7" 24v halogen headlights on the Internet for $50... That were a easy swap out... I knew I had poor lighting with the stock lights and figured, what the heck... so, I ordered a set, a week later, they arrived nicely packaged... You will need to stop at the parts store and pick up a H4 bulb connector set (Dorman part # 9003)...

So after I get the connectors, I installed the wiring... 18 is green and for the the low beam, 17 is red and for the high beam, 91 black on black is ground...

If you have a actual A2 then just put the bulb in, slap the rings on and your done, BUT..... if your like me, that has a old 50's gasser that was converted into an A2 in the 70's... then read on....

After I installed the connector, I put the bulb in the bucket and it wouldn't fit... the back hole wasn't big enough and it wouldn't sit flush in the bucket.... it would rock side to side....

I've come to conclusion that the gasser buckets were about a 1/4" shallower then the A2 buckets... It doesn't make a difference with the standard bulb but the new halogen bulbs, it did.... I had to open up the harness hole and notch the buckets for the reflectors that are part of the bulb housing...

Tools needed... screwdriver, electrical tape or shrink tube, grinder with cutting disc, wire crimper/cutter, and butt connectors...

If you have a pacemaker then disconnect the battery... remove both headlight rings and take the bulb down... cut the wires one by one 2" above the quick connectors (you will reuse the quick connectors). connect your color wires to the appropriate #'s... to pull out the bucket... alls you have to do is pull the fixed spring off the bucket and the bucket comes right out... Cut the back hole of the bucket off then put your headlight in, mark the reflectors and notch away....

My notes... I picked the bulbs up on ebay for $50... they have plastic housings with glass lenses... came with 2 H4 70/75w bulbs which I will upgrade later to 95/100w. Installation time... 1 hour. let the pictures finish it up...

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We did this on an A2 and opened up the back od the buckets anyways. Makes burner changes a few minute job.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I put the new lights in my M927 and they are the greatest thing since pu.......errrrrrr sliced bread. They really light up the road ahead and if you suffer from night blindness like I do they make a lot of difference in certain situations.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I put the new lights in my M927 and they are the greatest thing since pu.......errrrrrr sliced bread. They really light up the road ahead and if you suffer from night blindness like I do they make a lot of difference in certain situations.
Who put new lights in that truck?!!!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used Hella H4 lights & swapped the bulbs for 24V. Soldered ends from burned out bulbs to the adapter. They fit in the bckets without alteration. They have swell "cutoff lines" in low beam. Traffic doesn't complain, they have wider beams for Moose control in the ditch, and make night driving a real pleasure, using 80/100 bulbs.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I used Hella H4 lights & swapped the bulbs for 24V. Soldered ends from burned out bulbs to the adapter. They fit in the bckets without alteration. They have swell "cutoff lines" in low beam. Traffic doesn't complain, they have wider beams for Moose control in the ditch, and make night driving a real pleasure, using 80/100 bulbs.
I did the same, but with 100 watt high beam bulbs. can see for miles.

gungearz

I would've used Hella's also but there's one thing these bulbs have that those don't.... they have a 3 letter abbreviation the notes DOT.... Hella's are for offroad use only. I know, I know.... to each his own. it's not my truck, do as you please with it but since I drive for a living, it would be my luck to get pinched for something like that... but anyways, this was a great little fun project that I think everyone will benefit from... I hope this will encourage some more people to do the same... for safety. I rarely drive the truck past sun down but when I do...... I want to be able to see....

gungearz

Also, I forgot to add... on actual A2's that are not converted gassers... besides these bulbs are a direct, no modifying swap... some bulbs might rattle a bit around the headlight ring. a member has sent me a set of 7" round custom spacers he made in case my bulbs rattled... they did not and I didn't have to use the spacer spring.... I'm sure if anyone needs these spacers, arrangements can be made...

Heath_h49008

My lenses came in... I'm pleasantly surprised. Glass lenses, clear with a decent material for the reflector. It came with 12v bulbs and some silly blue 194 bulb in a socket below the main bulb. I might switch that over to an amber 24v 194 and use it as a turn signal. (For $24 shipped, I'm not complaining.)

I'm going to source some 24v H4 bulbs and pigtails now.

Great idea! These will be an upgrade, and cheaper than even ONE 24v incandescent at some of the places I've looked at.

JasonS

Also, I forgot to add... on actual A2's that are not converted gassers... besides these bulbs are a direct, no modifying swap... some bulbs might rattle a bit around the headlight ring. a member has sent me a set of 7" round custom spacers he made in case my bulbs rattled... they did not and I didn't have to use the spacer spring.... I'm sure if anyone needs these spacers, arrangements can be made...
What is different about converted gassers? I put H4 lenses in my 1953 M35 and had no issues?

machinist75

My lenses came in... I'm pleasantly surprised. Glass lenses, clear with a decent material for the reflector. It came with 12v bulbs and some silly blue 194 bulb in a socket below the main bulb. I might switch that over to an amber 24v 194 and use it as a turn signal. (For $24 shipped, I'm not complaining.)

I'm going to source some 24v H4 bulbs and pigtails now.

Great idea! These will be an upgrade, and cheaper than even ONE 24v incandescent at some of the places I've looked at.
Where did you get your lights from Heath. Would be cool to put some green lights in the secondary sockets to run when your lights are off.

welldigger

If you google 7" h4 headlight you will find everything from a basic housing to ones with l.e.d accents and halo lights. There's some pretty neat ones out there if you search hard enough. They can also get a bit pricey depending on how many bells and whistles you get with them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks