• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce just stopped.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just installed a brand new HH (China made) and started up real easy and everything ran great.

Drove about ten miles and she just quit in the middle of the road dead.
Was able to pull over ok and check fuel to HH and pressure was OK
from in-tank fuel pump. Can't for the life of me figure what it could
be. Only thing at this point seems something in HH broke or quill
shaft broke. There was no noise and I was only going about 40 mph
on flat hardtop road.

Any ideas on what I can look for, please let me know, no matter how
crazy.

Thanks for the help,
Orren

Last edited by a moderator:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the shutoff cover off again and check the lever. It needs to sit in the 7 o clock position with the shutoff released. Move the lever by hand and see if it moes freely - if not, loosen the two screws that hold the bracket a little. They should not be too tight. If that is ok, and if you did NOT verify proper shutoff function on the first startup: take the lever assembly out and put it back again and verify that the little "nose" part (that you do your best not to have fall out) grabs the notch it is supposed to grab. I have had my truck shut off on its own, too - always in a right turn and it was always the shutoff getting stuck.

welldigger

Take the shutoff cover off again and check the lever. It needs to sit in the 7 o clock position with the shutoff released. Move the lever by hand and see if it moes freely - if not, loosen the two screws that hold the bracket a little. They should not be too tight. If that is ok, and if you did NOT verify proper shutoff function on the first startup: take the lever assembly out and put it back again and verify that the little "nose" part (that you do your best not to have fall out) grabs the notch it is supposed to grab. I have had my truck shut off on its own, too - always in a right turn and it was always the shutoff getting stuck.
Also when the engine gets hot the lever can stick if you got the bridge piece too tight. It will move freely when cold. I have seen this several times.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hydraulic Head. The top of the IP on a multifuel where the 6 ports lead out to the injectors.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't trust checking the up and down on the plunger as Razor has stated he found the plunger can still go up and with the button off. Then don't forget the quill shaft can let go and the Head will not turn. Think your going to have to pull that head and check button, quill shaft and plunger guide.

rustystud

I don't trust checking the up and down on the plunger as Razor has stated he found the plunger can still go up and with the button off. Then don't forget the quill shaft can let go and the Head will not turn. Think your going to have to pull that head and check button, quill shaft and plunger guide.
Yep, that's the right way to do it. This way it leaves no doubt about what is broken and what is not.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
James,

After removing HH from IP I found the plunger was stuck in the up stroke. No idea how that
happened except for some defect. Fuel filters only have about 300 miles on them; using
NAPA 3540's (6 micron)for secondary and final.

Thanks for all comments.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My vendor, REOMIE, is sending me a new HH, no questions asked.
I hope these China made units are any good. Anybody have experience
with them?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I bought one and installed it. It appears to be a well-made unit. It is not just a copy of the original, but a better engineered version. Someone here with a lot more knowledge and experience in fuel injection systems looked at it in more detail and it checked out very much ok.

rustystud

Hi rustystud,
here is a parts dealer to add to your list that I use, they are also in the Netherlands, so quicker for me to get parts from as I am in the U.K: www.truckpartstrading.nl I don't think they sell hydralic heads but do stock a lot of other parts.
Hope this helps,
Thanks Flywheel. It is amazing how much U.S. military equipment got left in Europe, and even more amazing that it still survives and wasn't turned into tin cans or something !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks