• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce noses...

Heath_h49008

I've been reading and searching and didn't come up with an answer, so I figured I'd risk asking directly.
I have noticed a few minor differences:

1: Headlights low or high.... Searching seems to indicate original build date... earlier models were low, later were high.

2: Hood grab handle... Field Modification (Source Gimpyrobb)

3: "BBQ " grate on the grille.... Stone Guard (Gimpyrobb)

4: Heater air intake hole.... None vs one "high" in the fold down panel vs one low in the fender apron vs some trucks having two one in each position. .... No info

5: Bumper up down ... Winch trucks typically have it with the notch on top

6: "Paper Clip" loops on the bumper... USMC truck. Those loops were used for lift slings.

7: Front pintle hitch... cargo handler used to push trailers around. Although I would also suspect it would be really handy to attach an aircraft towbar as well.

8: "Lolly-pop" marker light/turn signals.... European (Gimpyrobb/JCKnife)

9: Bumper steps... no info

10: Black-out light, metal vs plastic... no info (JCKnife)
I'll modify the list as people think of more differences, or answer what each one means.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:

JCKnife

I just recently learned that older models had square front light brackets (the turn signal lights, I mean).

Metal or plastic for the blackout light? (maybe that's too nit-picky)

Edit to add a pic: what the heck are these double-front marker lights? (above the turn signals)

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I1: Headlights low or high.... Searching seems to indicate original build date... earlier models were low, later were high.

2: Hood grab handle... Field Modification (Source Gimpyrobb)

3: "BBQ " grate on the grille.... Stone Guard (Gimpyrobb)

4: Heater air intake hole.... None vs one "high" in the fold down panel vs one low in the fender apron vs some trucks having two one in each position. .... No info

5: Bumper up down ... Winch trucks typically have it with the notch on top

6: "Paper Clip" loops on the bumper... USMC truck. Those loops were used for lift slings.

7: Front pintle hitch... cargo handler used to push trailers around. Although I would also suspect it would be really handy to attach an aircraft towbar as well.

I'll modify the list as people think of more differences, or answer what each one means.

Thanks for any insight!
1. The earlier deuces all had low-mounted lights, but the ones with winches tended to have a reduced field of vision due to the low lights and high bumper. So, over time the factory changed it to the wo/w trucks with lows and w/w highs, then everything had highs.

2. Hood grab handle is a field mod, and a very common one. Makes opening the hood just a little easier, but it's not that important.

3. Later trucks, about after 1970, came from the factory with the stone guard, some of the earlier trucks had the mod done to it later on. If your truck is 1960 or before, and you want a perfect resto, no stone guard. I wouldn't worry too much about it, odds are if you're driving a deuce you don't need to worry about traffic bunching up in FRONT of you to sling gravel in your radiator.

4. I've only seen the intake going in the top hole, some with a "air funnel", some without. I have never seen the air intake for the heater going in the lower hole, at least not in any of the 100+ trucks I have previewed.

5. If you have a winch truck, notch SHOULD be on top.

6. USMC clips were on front bumpers, but sometimes they were cut off if the truck went back into Army service from the USMC. If they were cut off, you'll see the "feet" of the paper clip still on the bumper, and the "loop" removed.

7. Front pintle hitch, I haven't seen any of the trucks come out of GL with this on, but I have seen a few guys here add them. They are very useful for hooking up to a trailer, and winching something onto it, if you have a w/w truck.

A couple other pics with front end mods you might like:

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a heater intake that goes in the lower hole. It was from a 1986 A/F truck. It works much better than the upper hole due to not being attached to the side panel. Here is a pic of the field mod for the hood handles.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like that's the field mod for the M135/M211 GMC trucks. Same for the M35s, but it's just amazing the info you get for the older MVs in those PS Magazines...

Heath_h49008

88 deuce.jpg

This one has just the lower hole/scoop... I've only noticed it on a couple trucks.

Is it for something other than the heater?

That truck WAS listed as a 1988... Maybe this was something only on the last generation?

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

hndrsonj...

That jibes with what I have seen. Only on the "newer" trucks was there a hole cut in the lower apron. I'm guessing the ones with two holes just went through depot and got an older top panel put on them.

Seth_O

Air horn vs 24v electric. I have the electric and lust after an air horn. My truck sounds like a prius when I hit the horn. It's embarassing.

eagle4g63

Mine is a '71 and it has both holes and DIDN'T have a heater at all.....ever....

Also had the hood grab handle when I got it.

I now have a heater in it(fuel) and when I had the scoop hooked up to it it kept blowing out the flame!:cookoo:

Attachments

Katahdin

Picture of my electric horn (circled) which was not wired up when I got the truck. (also came with an air horn)

Presently I have the electric horn hooked up to the steering wheel button and am going to add a pull cord valve so I can operate the air horn separately like an old trucker.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks