• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce not wanting to back up

croftonaviation

I had a problem this weekend and am looking for some direction on where to go from here, if anywhere.

I went to pickup a load of firewood and when I put the truck in reverse it would not back up. The transmission felt fine it was like a set of wheels were locked up. I rolled forward a few inches and tried again and no problems. I got home and went to back up and again no problems. Is this an indicator to a potential rear end problem? If so what would I look? The front axle (air shift) was not engaged, and the truck only did it empty if that matters. Thanks everyone

cbvet

Sounds to me like your trans was partially stuck in 2 gears. Something's hanging up or worn.
As long as you know what to do to get it moving, it may not be a big deal.
I've driven trucks with that same problem for years.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are going to have to have it happen again so you can tell what is happening. I doubt it is an axle problem, but anything is possible. A lock-up like this can happen if the transmission does not come completely out of one gear because of a shift rail problem in the transmission cover. It then goes into the other gear you select, and you have a lock-up because two gears are engaged. Moving the stick around with the combination of the truck rolling a bit might have let the other gear disengage. It is caused by badly worn shift rail gates and stick end or loose bolts that hold the forks to the rails. If you remember what gear you were in before going to reverse when the problem happened, you can try that shift sequence many times again to see if you can repeat the problem.
There are detents between the shift rails in the cover that are to prevent going into another gear before the previous one is completely disengaged, but the problems described can override this feature. Sometimes if the gates and stick end are worn badly enough, one has to take the stick out or remove the cover to get everything back to neutral. I have used welding and grinding to build up the worn places on the rail gates and the stick end to cure the problem. With enough wear in the gates and stick end, the stick can come out of one gear gate and get into another without completely disengaging the previous gear. I have never seen, though, one of these trucks with that much wear in the gates and stick end. They usually do not have that many miles on them.

Regards Marti

croftonaviation

I think you are going to have to have it happen again so you can tell what is happening. I doubt it is an axle problem, but anything is possible. A lock-up like this can happen if the transmission does not come completely out of one gear because of a shift rail problem in the transmission cover. It then goes into the other gear you select, and you have a lock-up because two gears are engaged. Moving the stick around with the combination of the truck rolling a bit might have let the other gear disengage. It is caused by badly worn shift rail gates and stick end or loose bolts that hold the forks to the rails. If you remember what gear you were in before going to reverse when the problem happened, you can try that shift sequence many times again to see if you can repeat the problem.
There are detents between the shift rails in the cover that are to prevent going into another gear before the previous one is completely disengaged, but the problems described can override this feature. Sometimes if the gates and stick end are worn badly enough, one has to take the stick out or remove the cover to get everything back to neutral. I have used welding and grinding to build up the worn places on the rail gates and the stick end to cure the problem. With enough wear in the gates and stick end, the stick can come out of one gear gate and get into another without completely disengaging the previous gear. I have never seen, though, one of these trucks with that much wear in the gates and stick end. They usually do not have that many miles on them.

Regards Marti
Is this a problem that could be repaired with the transmission in the truck? Would replacing the cover with a good one fix it? I don't think its the e-brake because mine is pretty weak. It happened doing from 1st to reverse. Mabey this weekend I can pull the plate and take a look. Thanks for the input.

its been warm here all week low's in the 30's at night mid 50's in the day, wet enough to leave your mark wherever you go with a deuce

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look closely at the -20P and notice the 3 return springs on the parking brake. Get under your truck, look closely, I will bet you lost one or more of your springs, seen it before. This will cause lockup when backing up.

Heavysteven

Had a similar problem, put truck in reverse would not move. Felt like the tires where frozen to the ground. Pulled foward alittle then back again worked fine. I am positive my parking park was stuck due to the cold weather. Since then no problems.

However my parking prake is tight and will hold the truck even on a hill no problem.

Capt.Marion

Adjust your parking brake. Guarantee ya dollars to donuts that's what it is. The main indicator is that it won't go backwards, but one you go forwards, you're good in any direction.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the opposite problem, reverse and no forward. Turns out a towbar hooked to the truck and lunette end on the ground makes a great brake.

RANDYDIRT

Same problem here. I backed the 109 out of the driveway, and then pulled in close to the shop... set the brake like a good soldier #1. I then proceeded to procrastinate a few jobs, and then went to back it up. NO JOY. Parking brake is probably screwed. It will drive forward though. In fact, the more I messed with it, the closer it got to my shop, and the tighter reverse seemed to be. I suppose I will address the problem more when I can get under the **** thing without SCUBA gear. That or my shop will be a little more splintered and shorter the next time.

croftonaviation

Finally found the time and the weather to crawl under the deuce and check things out. Sure enough broken spring in the parking brake. If you look at it from the back it's the second one down. Any ideas on where to pick one, or for that matter the whole set of them up. Thanks for the help guys, glad it is going to be a easier fix than I thought.

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks