• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Skid Plates

StoneMill

Has anyone built any type of skid plates for the deuce? Front, rear, under batts, under tool box, whatever... I've used the search but didn't find too much. Are skid plates even worth while since there is so much clearance. I'd like to see some pics to get ideas for what could be added. My neighbor and my brother in-law are both pro welders and I'd like to get them to fab something up. Anybody who has ideas or pictures, please post them up. Thanks...

StoneMill

Excellent, this is exactly the kind of posts I'm looking for. I'm definitely gonna do something like this for the fuel tank. I'm restoring the deuce and adding some custom touches but want to keep it looking mostly mil spec. Keep the pics coming.:-D:-D

KsM715

Those skid plates better be pretty stout to hold up the weight of a deuce. None the less I want one on my 5ton to protect the air dump valve on the air tanks.

rmgill

I would expect that a set of skidplates for the diffs, axles and transfer cases would have to be BLOODY thick. IF you mount them a hinged mount would make things FAR easier to accomplish.

red

thickness would depend on what your protecting and what you want the plate to do. have the plate stay rigid with all the weight on it (like a tip of a rock), or be willing to let the plate get bent but protect the item. could also add some angle iron to the outside edges of the skid plate (if you went with a thinner metal) to add some support to it, keep it from flexing and denting too much. my 84 chevy 1 ton is my rock crawler and the gas tank skid plates i made for it are 1/8" plate and have held up pretty **** well for the abuse i put it through and the weight of the truck. going to add some angle iron and straighten out the outer edges when i add that but its holding up just fine.

jesusgatos

the m-621 (deuce) for norway had exactly what you want.
I would LOVE to see some pictures of what they came up with.

I'm just starting to think about this now, and I'm going to start by reconfiguring all of the storage under the cab for a bit more ground clearance. I'm going to replace the steps with some type of tubular rocker-panel guards to protect the cab, fuel tanks, and storage boxes. High-clearance diff covers are available for 2.5-ton Rockwell axles from a number of difference places (like these and these), and I'm going to make design/make some custom high-clearance U-bolt plates. These guards for the front knuckles/boots are also on my shopping list. Skidplates for the fuel tanks and engine oilpan are just about the only other things I can think of right now.

Brentzilla

The guy that owned my deuce before me and the spare tire carrier removed and the fuel tank moved up into the truck bed if you really want ground clearance

jesusgatos

I'd love to do that, but I'm turning my M109 into a motorhome, so space is at a premium. Going to carry the spare tire in the trailer, but need to mount another fuel tank where the spare was carried. Trying to see if I can find a couple of lower-profile tanks to use instead of the stock ones. If I could improve the ground clearance under the cab by even a few inches, I'd be pretty happy.

TRG87K5

Armor plating/skids

Hi guys, im a NEWB here, but I'm sure once I get my first deuce, I'll look it over and see what I can come up with, I also know that Ouverson has some stuff for the axle bits, and ballistic fab has some suspension bits for these rigs. My buddy and I are currently bidding on at least one deuce, so hopefully we'll have a chance soon to get a good look and consdier building some stuff for them[thumbzup]

jesusgatos

I'd love to do that, but I'm turning my M109 into a motorhome, so space is at a premium. Going to carry the spare tire in the trailer, but need to mount another fuel tank where the spare was carried. Trying to see if I can find a couple of lower-profile tanks to use instead of the stock ones. If I could improve the ground clearance under the cab by even a few inches, I'd be pretty happy.
Just started another thread to see about finding some fuel tanks that that will allow me to re-mount them up a little bit higher. If I can find what I'm looking for, I'll gain 5-6" of ground clearance, and will only have to give up a little more than 5 gallons of fuel storage. That's no big deal to me, because I'm planning on running duel tanks (one where the spare tire was mounted). Still 90+ gallons onboard.

jimh1985

I would like to cover the valves on the air tanks ive had them opened by a limb once.. good thing they werent REMOVED!!
I will post pics when i create these

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks