• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce start up after empty tank

Blackbear

I bought my M35A2 last year, $3500 bucks 5,700 miles I think it's a 1990, when I picked it up I did basic maintenance, It ran great for the 700 miles, no issues none. I drove it to Ky ranch now it has sat for 6 months and I had to drain the tank dew to water in the tank I believe caused from the cap not sealing very well, probably needs a new gasket. Now to the question.

Is there a starting procedure step by step, other than the basics, for the deuce or tm that I can go to that makes this easy, I heard there is a pep-cock to bleed the air off in the petrol line on the fire wall drivers side under the hood maybe near the fuel filters, do I bleed this off until fuel is released. then start cranking?

Other item is the tank was a bit nasty in the bottom but I believe my filters to be fine because of how well it runs, nice 460 whistler. I'm trying to prevent continuous cranking and killing my batteries in the deep woods etc.

Thanks for help.
BB

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you haven't filled it with fresh fuel yet and you didn't drain it using the plug on the bottom of the tank you really should do it that way.
Pumping the tank out is not going to get all of the crud out.
Once you remove the plug (this may require a big pull bar and a cheater pipe) and drain the tank you should put about 20 gallons of gas in the tank and let it soak a few days.
Remove the plug again and drain the gas (or whatever solvent you use) into a good container.
You can reach into the tank and wipe out a lot of crap too, just can't get what is past the baffle.
When you put the plug back in use teflon tape or pipe dope to seal it or it will leak eventually.
Fill with fresh fuel and open the bleeder valves on the secondary fuel filters (you should have replaced all three filters).
Flip on the battery switch and the in tank pump should fill all three filters and get fuel to the IP.
Fire her up and let it idle to get all the air out of the lines.
If you don't want to waste the solvent you can let it settle out for a few days and pump off the top and mix it with your fuel. Just don't suck the bad stuff back up. Use the dregs for weed control.

Blackbear

I did drain it out the bottom plug, I like the gas idea to clean up the bottom half will do, I believe I can figure out the rest going up to KY next week so If I have further issues I may continue the thread, thanks very much can't wait to hear it fire up again it's been too long.
BB

KaiserM109

Something I learned the hard way that I don't believe has been mentioned is that a deuce can run with a dead in-tank pump by virtue of a suction pump on the back of the injection pump (IP). BUT if you get air in the lines it is h#ll to get it primed. You may be in for about $250 for a new ITP. Don't pay much for a pullout 'cause most of them are on their last legs, too.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
We have a bunch of members in Ky, did you say where? I'm sure they'd offer any help you may need.

In the past weather I ran out of fuel, had water in the fuel and had to drain it, or replacing stock filters with spin-ons, I usually go with the standard...
Fill fuel tank
Prime system using in-tank pump(bleed air at secondary filters on side of motor)
Crank motor over

If those steps don't work, once in a while, I have to give her a snort of starting fluid. After that ONE snort, they usually start normally, unless there is an issue I have over looked(fuel canister gasket on wrong or fuel tank pump fuse bad).

Blackbear

Kaiser and Rob thanks for the input I did contact a local SS that may help in London, That's about as close as a town because it's in-between Somerset and London fairly deep in the Daniel Boone forest. I haven't given it a true try other than giving it a qick crank a while back I think I can work this out now, I downloaded the replacement fuel filters from the SS database on replacements from Napa etc.
I take it those can replace what I have straight up with no modifications right? does the spin on takes a modification? I thought it did.

BB

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The spin-ons I use replace the whole plate on the side of the motor. I believe John Tenis(Jatonka) has adapters that use the stock base.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks