• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce water in gear oil

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good morning gents,

Last night I drained the oil in my front diff prior to tearing it all down and replacing boots and seals.

When I loosened the drain plug pure water came out at first - nice and clear - maybe half a cup. Once the water stopped I had to unscrew the plug further for the oil to start coming out - and it was a yellow color.

Odd thing is I replaced this gear oil not 6 months ago and have not driven the truck in any water or even rain since. At that time I cleaned the vent and re-installed it. I have no visible leaks from the axle seals but the boots are ripped up pretty good.

Truck has been sitting for about 3 months outside as I did other work to the engine over the winter. I would not expect water would get in the vent as the truck itself seems to shield the axle from rain pretty well. Has anyone else seen this? Perhaps it is a buildup of condensation that would turn to steam and dissipate when driven on a long run? I have not seen this on any of my other vehicle diffs.

Could not find a thread with the same kind of issue as this one. No fording, no rain driving. Anyone else see something similar?

Unrelated to the water in the oil - a 2 inch long piece of what looks like a round steel collar or spacer came out the bottom with the oil. I can feel the rest of it up there but can't get it out. Must be at least a 4" long piece up there I figure. Wheels turn and no odd noises or excessive play. I have not engaged the front wheel drive since this truck came into my possession but have driven it about 300 miles. Looks like I am going to be tearing into the top of this axle. By the way - magnet plug was just about as clean as when I had installed it after replacing the diff oil.

Thanks,

Tom

I'd check the breather cap if it's stuck open or missing parts water can slowly get trapped. It's from the the air as temps change trapping water in oil as front gets hot and cold from driving and sitting over time.

Back when I bought my M211 I was checking the gear oil on the axles and found chunks that would not come out the drain hole so I pulled the third member and found teeth from a previous ring and pinion that was replaced with out cleaning out the housing .

dmetalmiki

I don't think condensation would do that in the short time you say you drove it.
There simply must have been water ingress through the torn boots at some point, And you don't recall driving in the wet.
Could be water had accumulated in the bottoms of the torn boot before you purchased the truck.
Someone has had to have 'forded' the vehicle at some point.
I have driven many miles (Years in fact) with split boots in rain, light flooding, and snow, And never seen a drop of water and I do check at the drain plug every 12 months or so.

rustystud

I don't think condensation would do that in the short time you say you drove it.
There simply must have been water ingress through the torn boots at some point, And you don't recall driving in the wet.
Could be water had accumulated in the bottoms of the torn boot before you purchased the truck.
Someone has had to have 'forded' the vehicle at some point.
I have driven many miles (Years in fact) with split boots in rain, light flooding, and snow, And never seen a drop of water and I do check at the drain plug every 12 months or so.
Totally agree here. You will get only very small amounts of condensation if any at all driving the truck. Half a cup is a lot of water.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would seem like maybe the water came from the last bucket of oil you used. Agree no water from sitting or no fording.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last bucket of oil was a brand new 5 gallon pail of Mobilube 80w90. Went in looking perfect.
Pulled the driver side apart yesterday. Other than oil that came out of the spindle when I took out the bottom bolts it looked pretty good. Some water in the boot though. Axle shaft had water on it.
Going to change the seals and put it all back together. Makes sense to change the vent and go with a vent line looks like.
Have to break into the top I guess to check for where that broken collar came from. Hopefully its just a leftover from a previous repair as mentioned by Topo above.
Going to open drains on the rears to look for water as well. Same oil bucket, same time of changing so should be the same conditions if it came from the oil.
Mysteries of the machine I guess. Thanks for the input from everyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks