• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce water jacket, cylinder head

Lex_Ordo

Has anyone pulled the water jacket that the flame heater is mounted to?

Seems that there are two short hoses that connect up to the manifold and run the hot water out of the heads into the radiator.
I am toying with the idea of changing them. They were replaced when the motor was rebuilt at Tooele, in 1986. I just am not sure what all is involved?

I am guessing that there is a gasket under the water jacket that will have to be replaced, and that the jacket has to be removed in order to get those short little hoses on properly.
Not a task I am looking forward to, but one I must consider.

Can anyone tell me if they did it and waht was involved?
Pictures?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done it. It is easier to pull the two water rails from the heads instead of the intake. The intake and exh need to be removed as an assembly. Just an FYI, the bolts for the water rail are 2 1/4 in long, IIRC. The local Home Depot or ACE won't have them. Before you remove them, give them a good solid tap with a hammer to try and make them not stick and break off. The hoses are 1 3/4 ID. I have those and complete hose sets, less the heater hoses for $46.00 shipped.

Attachments

Last edited:

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm interested as to how this went. I see evidence of tiny leaks at ends of the two short hoses and am wondering how involved replacement is. My engine has the manifold heater, and perusing section 3-45 of TM 9-2320-361-20 points me back to section 3-30, indicating a fairly involved process for two bloody hoses! Am I correct?

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Sec 3-30 seemed a bit involved on first glance. Where can one get the gaskets, or will some kind of Permatex suffice?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks