• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce winch kit price??

jluv1185

I have seen a bunch of prices on the net. All the way up to $3500.00. What is the average decent price for a complete deuce winch kit "minus the bolts"? I have one that I may be putting up for sale to find another project.

Thanks
J

Heath_h49008

Just thinking rationally, a used stock winch should be priced at 50%-75% of the price of a new winch from a major manufacturer rated for a similar pull... if anyone aside from a concourse purist is expected to want it anyway.

TehTDK

Heath, I would think most winches these days are electrical versus the PTO mechanical for the M35. In that particular situation I would think I would personally opt for PTO vs electrical simply due to the issue that all electrical winches has cycling issues, in that you can't keep them running for a long time unless you want to permanently wreck the electric motor. Naturally I would prefer a hydraulic option, but with a situation where I had to choose between either electrical or PTO, I personally would def go PTO.

Heath_h49008

In what application would constant duty be required? Although I agree, the hydraulic option is the most rational, and easy/cheep enough given a power steering upgrade.

I'm still on the fence myself. The options would seem to be:

A: Factory $1500 for a used unit +$?XXX for seals and parts to get it up to snuff.
B: Electric $300-$1200 new with a warranty
C: Hydraulic using a PTO mounted pump $1500+ but offering more options for cranes, blades,... anything you can imagine running hydraulically.
D: Hydraulic using an engine mounted power steering pump $1500-$500 depending upon how you look at it, and how skillfully you scrounge. (Consider the PS pump as "free" or added to the overall cost)

The best I can come up with cost-benefit is probably PS powered hydraulic for most casual applications, the pump does double duty, and most guys will find the power steering more useful than the winch. Serious work trucks might find utility with the "full" PTO mounted hydro and the Unimog-type options that would allow. Weekend warriors who only need to drag themselves or a dinky Jeep out of a small mudhole once a year should be fine with a cheap electric and a snatch block. The weight and cost of the factory winch set-up leave it somewhat out in the cold IMHO. Okay for all applications, but master of none and no real cost benefit if buying at current market costs.

But most guys seem to just like the winch for the looks/bragging rights.

TehTDK

Heath,

From what i understand most electrical winches shouldn't be cycled for more then 1 minute constantly to avoid them running too hot, and once its been used it has to sit for 20 mins to cooldown before you should start using it again as a best practice. Those 2 points alone at least tells me that most electrical winches aren't really "that good" for regular duty other then the occasional "pull yourself out of the ditch during winter" issue, and are not really sufficient for mudding or rock crawl applications. I mean who wants to sit parked for 20 mins to wait for their winch to cool down. Obviously there are HD winches which can either withstand longer cycles or pull heavier loads but then we are talking serious money tho.

But ideally I would go the full hydraulic conversion way in order to make the vehicle more flexible, and without making the winch work "slower" having only powered it by a powersteering pump. And obviously get hydraulic power-assist on the truck while I am at it anyway.

jamawieb

What I did is found a M35a2 w/winch that was not running and took the winch off, sold the truck for the amount I paid for the entire truck. Basically got a free winch, but i had to wait almost 2 yrs before I found one.
I have used every kind of winch out there and I would have to say that I really, really like the stock winch set-up. It's all about knowing how to operate a winch and how much weight your dealing with, I wish people wouldn't try to pull 15,000lbs with a 4,000lb winch and complain when it breaks.

JCKnife

what does a "KIT" consist of? I ask as I have these winches available.
Winch
PTO
PTO shift lever assembly
drive shaft
bumper extensions and frame rails to set the bumper further out and mount the winch
plus a bunch of bolts, the most expensive being the shouldered bolts that actually mount the winch to the frame (12 of them)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Winch
PTO
PTO shift lever assembly
drive shaft
bumper extensions and frame rails to set the bumper further out and mount the winch
plus a bunch of bolts, the most expensive being the shouldered bolts that actually mount the winch to the frame (12 of them)
+

dataplate for floorpan
hinge lock for pto lever

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks