• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with snowmobiles 4-10-10 (pics)

Josh

The mountains around are put to shame by that, and due to strict enviro-laws, we are stuck on mostly groomed trails. :sad: Mostly cause there isnt many place to go around here that go above the tree line.

But soons we get 5-10 miles deep we normally blaze our own trail anyhow.

What kinda sleds are those?
Those look like 550s? or are they bigger?(From you sig looks like one is a 700)

Last time we went I was able to get 2 Nitros, (one turbo charged putting out 270hp) in the truck, and was towing a 36ft enclosed with 4 Phazers.

Also gota love the patented back the truck into a bank until it stops for unloading/loading.

WyoDeuce

We get to ride wherever we want here. The Snowy Range in S.E. WY is awesome. 300 miles of groomed trails and more ungroomed backcountry trails than you could ever explore. We get over 350 inches of snow up there each year. The deepest storm this year was an honest 4 feet in a single storm. Nipple deep powder everywhere. There is tons of above treeline riding.

The sleds in the deuce are:
My '03 Polaris 700 RMK with a 151" track. It has some aftermarket goodies that really make it fast and strong. Just as fast as the 800's (blue)
A '03 Polaris 800 RMK Verticle Escape with a 159" track. (Black/Red)
A '02 Ski-Doo 800 Summit with a 155" aftermarket track. (Black/Yellow)
All the sleds have handlebar risers and are setup for high altitude deep powder riding.

Attachments

Last edited:

greenjeepster

Great pics. I used to love to ride when we lived in Vermont. I am down to three sleds now from a high of six. We go back to Vermont and ride about once per year, wasn't enough snow this season though... First time in my life that no snow was a problem.

I am used to well packed trails. Do you guys get stuck often or do mods to the sleds overcome eliminate that issue?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Gorgeous-thanks for posting. Love the action shots! You guys must be shooting with a DSLR.

WyoDeuce

When the big snows happen we get good and stuck. In 2-3 feet of powder we are fine. Lots of horsepower and the long tracks with 2 inch paddles help. The sleds will do 100 mph but in the deepest powder that might be 5 or 10 mph at full throttle...... Or stuck. Riding full throttle all day in the deep stuff usually puts you back at the truck for fuel in about 4 hours. The long track sleds make all the difference. Those sleds are about 11 feet long from tip of skis to rear bumper. When we had the 4 foot dump a couple months ago we burried the sleds in the middle of a marked groomed trail. It all depends on how fluffy the snow is and how long it has been on the ground. Whe it gets that nasty the Sno-cat needs to wait for better weather to groom the trail.

WyoDeuce

Making me jelous. But all of the mountains around here are in the middle of a national forest.
All those pictures are in the middle of Medicine Bow National Forest. With less people around the NFS lets you use the forest for recreation however you like to do it. They tend to close things when they are being over used.
I grew up outside Boston and all the State and National Forest land was heavily regulated. I moved to WY for that exact reason. My family is still in Boston and they hate it. My dad's jeep club runs the same 5 or 6 trails over and over because that is all that is left. They drive hours just to get to those few trails. They are retiring to the western slope of Colorado soon.

When the snow thaws I will take the Deuce all over the same mountains I snowmobile. There are no camping regulations here. You can camp wherever you like. Most of the Rocky Mtn. region is like this. In Colorado, Wyoming and Montana you can drive wherever you like within reason. The only regulated areas are the heavily used ones. (Rocky Mtn. National Park, etc.) I probably will run all over the mtn's this summer and never see a ranger or game warden. I never saw the rangers this winter patroling. I know they are out there but I went snowmobiling every weekend (sometimes for multiple days) and never saw them.

Forget the city. I'm staying in the mountains.

pyrogod117

The only problem with those is they are not Arctic Cats :p (Got a 1999 Thundercat putting out 192 HP... geared low with 1.35" paddles. Skis won't touch the ground. It's beast.)
I can't wait till I can move out to Colorado or Wyoming. I love mountains and snow and all of it. I grew up in upstate NY now I'm in south jersey so what a change.

How does the deuce do at 10k feet? Lose a lot of power?

WyoDeuce

The deuce felt about the same at 10,000 feet. Went a little slow up the hill but made it just fine. I need a pyrometer so I can turn the IP up and blow some stuff up!!

1stDeuce

I rode the snowies twice this winter, mid Feb and mid March, for a week at a time. We got to ride the first day of the 4' storm that WyoDeuce is talking about... It was AWESOME, and he's not kidding about the depth of the fresh snow... I was pushing snow OVER the windshield on my sled if I hit a bump, and anything more uphill than level was a challenge to say the least!! Nothing beats a day of DEEP powder on the mountain!!

Great place to ride, trails and off, something for everyone!! I'd like to see the Snowy's in the summer, I bet it's AWESOME!!! I feel cramped here in SE Michigan. Got any rooms open in Laramie? :)
C

pyrogod117

Arctic cat? That piece o crap would not even make it out of the back of the truck;)

I rate polaris #1
Yamaha 2nd
Ski-doo 3rd
Arctic Cat somewhere behind John Deere, Kawasaki and Moto-skirofl
Pfft. I've had all arctic cats since I was a little kid and they always started and ran. Those Ski-Boos were always breaking and the polaris was always just a mid range sled. The arctic cats always had more power than their equivalent CC in another brand.

greenjeepster

Okay... I will admit I have never owned or ridden an Arctic Crap. Well that isn't entirely true. We had a 1960s cat when I was a kid that my brother and I hauled out of the bushes and fixed up to putter around on. We got in running after countless hours of work; it ran great for about 3.5 minutes.... Then we shot it with the shot gun and put it out of it's misery.

On Newer sleds Polaris handles the best. Yamaha has the smoothest ride and I sure like the looks of a ski-doo. I have owned far more ski-doos than any other brand and they do not compete with handling, but they look nice and go like **** :D

ccequipment

Loving the pics, we missed our yearly snowmobile trip to west yellowstone, but it looks like its not to late. Its hard to belive you guys are playing in the snow, and we are mowing grass here. last year we rented 700RMK's first year for the long tracks for us, I loved them. I have an Artic cat 500 here, but we don't hardly get enough snow to ride, but maybey once a year.

rwoods

Great pictures. Would love to have that as my backyard. I assume when all that snow melts, you put a snorkel on the deuce and throw a couple of jet skis in the back? ;-)

greenjeepster

Here are a few of my current sleds. I am partial to Yamaha Bravos. The are a great small sled, easy to get unstuck and will glide over the deepest powder.

I also have an Indy 400, nice sled but the power to weight ratio is a little off. Very fast on packed trails but not good in powder. I rejetted it last year to .210 so she runs hotter than she used to.

I also have a vintage Ski-doo Everest, it is a project sled.

The ski-doo with the cracked cowl is the post tree shot of a 98 MXZ 600. That comes back to the handling problem ski-doo has. They just don't corner as well as other brands.

My pride and joy was a 2001 Ski-doo Grand Touring that I bought brand new off of the showroom floor. I sold her when we moved south and can't seem to locate any pics of her...

I have had several other sleds that are not worth mention

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks